Exp. Date on De-Icing Fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exp. Date on De-Icing Fluid

Ok, What is the De-icer actually consist of and on that basis how long can it sit around before going bad. This being in the relation to the recent ice storm in Atlanta (not so recent, whatever) and Delta running out of fluid. Their excuse..You dont need that much De-icer in Atlanta...others saying it would be stupid to let it sit around and go bad? I dont think it goes bad but please enlighten me...

I have heard of nothing about it expiring, hell it sits all summer here in COS since they dont use it all, a little bit sits in DEN but with it being a major airport less likely. ATL doesnt need it as much because it typically does not have weather to where the fluid is in great need.

Comment

De-icing fluid id glycerin or glycol and alcohol. Very sweet and sticky if you get a wiff of it.
      -Kevin

Comment

Depending on the an airports winter weather situation, the type of fluid and its mixture will vary. For example KPHX: they might have to de-ice maybe 20 airplanes throughout the winter months, and even then it is only frost on the upper surface of the wings, sooooo, they might use a Type 1 30/70 glycol-to-water ratio giving it a freeze point of roughly -10 degrees F.

Here in MDW, we use a Type 1 50/50 glycol-to-water ratio giving us a -25 to -30 degree freeze point because of our conditions.

The glycol is nothing but a sugar, actually called propolyene glycol that does not freeze at 0 degrees. Next time you buy or see a Dr. Pepper, pick it up and read the ingredients and tell me what you see, propolyene glycol!!!
        SET LOVE FREE!!

Comment

We use type 1 and type 4. Different in color I beleive and boy is it freekin slippery. Anyone who works the ramp can relate. Very sweet in tasting. LOL, accidents happen.
          Ryan Davis
          Admin, FlyerGuide.Net
          www.flyerguide.net

Comment

Originally posted by ACman
            De-icing fluid id glycerin or glycol and alcohol. Very sweet and sticky if you get a wiff of it.
            And if you ingest enough of it, the recommended antidote is hard liquor! I remember reading the side of one of the metal containers AirTran had their deicing fluid in @ ATL (There were several of these containers staged by the first gates I worked @ when I was a ramper @ AirTran.

Comment

Hell it has alcohol in it! :chugging: I don't fell so good.

Comment

Originally posted by ExpressJet145
                We use type 1 and type 4. Different in color I beleive and boy is it freekin slippery. Anyone who works the ramp can relate. Very sweet in tasting. LOL, accidents happen.
                My fault, we also spray Type 4 as well.
                SET LOVE FREE!!

Comment

de-icing fluid doesn't go bad so to speak, but you don't really want to have a shitload of it sitting around all year, if you won't need it. glycol has to be kept in a spill-proof container and out of the rain so it won't leak into the storm drain system. keeping a shitload of it around can be quite a hassle, epa-wise.
                  Work Right, Fly Hard.

Comment

Working...
                  X