Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your most annoying passenger/seatmate....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your most annoying passenger/seatmate....

My favorite posts would be the ones in which members get to share their in-flight experiences. As a follow up of the "in flight scare"-post on this forum............

The most annoying passenger or (even worse...) seatmate you've ever encountered.

Mine would definitely be the guy sitting next to some time ago, who couldn't stop yapping about his superior knowledge of aircraft operations, technical stuff etcetc. The funny thing though was that he was only trying to impress me and other passengers with all kinds of bulls**t.
    At first, I was just too tired to even start a discussion about the subject. But when this moron stated that the 747-400 that we were flying had four engines, only because of redundancy...."just to have a few spares", and that we were actually being powered by two engines only. In the case of an engine failure, the pilot would ignite the back-up engines and we would continue our travel safely... [img]skeptical.gif[/img] )

At this moment I decided to give him a little test, so I asked him why this aircraft had these strange, vertical wingtips. He explained that they were called winglets (duh...but OK, so far so good...) and that their sole purpose was to improve the looks of the aircraft, just like an automobile manufacturer would face-lift their products each year. [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]

After this statement I was backed up by the person sitting on the other side of the aisle, who was actually an aeronautical engineer and who was overhearing our conversation. Both of us lured "Mr Boeing himself" into stating things that would even amaze a 5 year old...

To name a few things:
    - The huge roar that can be heared after touch down (thrust reversing off course) is actually the final drops of fuel being blown out of the system... Fuel is cut off after touch down and the system needs to be free of fuel, so the pilot pushes the throttles forward to empty the fuel lines and pumps........... [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

- boeing aircraft are completely made of titanium, while airbus aircraft are completely made of composites and "plastic" [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

- on the ground, aircraft are powered by a huge diesel engine in the belly of the plane, which drives the main gear. Jet engines are useless on the ground, cause you must always have a high forward airspeed to keep 'm running....OK??? [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I could go on forever. Finally, my "partner" (the engineer) confronted this guy with his lacking knowledge. He remained silent for the last 3 hours of the flight, pretending to be asleep.

Amazing what some people do to get some attention.
    Can't wait to hear your experiences with stupid, funny, annoying, or just amazing fellow passengers.

later! [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Oh, man! that was bad! FMS! That gut sounded like a broken record. I know everything.... rrrrrp. I know everything....rrrrp. I know everything........rrrrrp.

Mine was in 1990 flying between ORD-TPA on a UAL 727-200. My seatmate in first class (I was a Non-Rev. my mother worked for United.) barfed on me while in Severe turban lance. I wished he could have used on of these things and not on my lap! Ewwwwww! It was gross! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

After all he drank like a fish on ate eggs by United!

Comment

Greetings:

This past March my buddy and I were going down to New Orleans for a few days before we left on a cruise and the guy next to me on the flight and his red neck narrow minded family sitting behind us thought my friend and I were gay. I really don't know why they thought we were gay, maybe because the both of use have earrings but so does every guy on Long Island. Anyway 30 minutes into the flight they handed us some BullSh@@ religious handout and started preaching to us how homosexuality was the work of the devil. Not only was I dumbfounded I couldn't believe how narrow minded these jacka$$es were. The entire flight they didn't stop. For the most part I found them quit amusing since I'm not gay I had some fun with them, but after an hour of them ranting and raving I spoke to the FA about moving us, but the flight was booked and there wasn't any free seats. She even asked them to stop but they didn't. You really had to be there to believe what they were saying. It really amazes me how narrow minded and prejudice some people are, but they were from the south so I wouldn't expect too much from people of the south [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] just kidding, I fully support the south and their belief that the Confederate flay is a symbol of states rights [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] It really was funny.

[ January 26, 2003 09:52 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Tom ]

Comment

I've never had an annoying person sit next to me! (maybe because I am the annoying one? haha)

I always travel with my family and most of the time the gate attendants sit us together. I've had the 747 "captains chairs" in the nose, and another time the entire last row on a 767. Flying LHR-YOW there were 2 other people in the entire 767 first class cabin minus us. Another time I was stuck in Vancouver for a week and I had the chance of being in the jumpseat, but I was only like 10 years old at the time.

Hmph. The exciting life of a contingent passenger.

Comment

My most annoying seatmate was actually my First Officer on a BOS-JFK-BOS rotation back when I was a Captain on the Saab 340

First leg,first flight of the day was mine. During preflight we talked about our previous flight experience. Myself,a 24 year old(at the time) rookie captain with a ton of CFI time and about 2 years of F/O time on the Slob. Him,a 31 year old former F-16 driver with over 6,000 hours. Well needless to say we did'nt have much in common there. Well once we got airbore he started to critize how I flew the airplane,say stuff like "that's not how we did it in the AF". After hearing this crap for the 30 min flight and the whole 35 min turnaround...I asked him to show me how the AF does it. Let me just say:I'm not bashing the military,but his airwork sucked! His instrument scan was non exsistant...and I have never felt a harder landing in the Saab. Let's just say he was VERY quiet for the rest of our month together!

Comment

CanyonBlue,

A bit off topic I'm afraid but I was fascinated to hear that you were the capatin of a Saab 340 at 24. Is it relatively common to gain the left hand seat at that age?

Several years I flew in a KLM Cityhopper Saab 340 from the Netherlands to England when the (female) captain looked very young. She looked in her early 20s but my wife and I decided she must have had a young face. From what you say she may well have been an early 20 something.

On that flight her first officer looked about fourteen.

I remember joking to my wife that the real captain probably decided to play golf and told his daughter to fly the 'plane and take her younger brother with her.

Comment

quote:
              Originally posted by MerchantVenturer:
              On that flight her first officer looked about fourteen.

I remember joking to my wife that the real captain probably decided to play golf and told his daughter to fly the 'plane and take her younger brother with her.

I got those jokes all the time! It didn't help that I could'nt even grow a mustache! I was really lucky(or unlucky,you decide!)when I joined AE we were expanding like crazy.After my first 2 years I had the choice of going CAPT/S340 or FO/ERJ. I figured the PIC time would be more benifical to me so I upgraded. I'm glad I did.....as 2 years later I joined the list of the furloughed but my PIC time is helping me get another a great job,flying a great plane. Being a captain at 24 was heady,but I had great friends to keep me grounded......some guys have not been so fortunate. BTW there were a couple of Dash 8 Captains at Mesa who were 23......and a friend of mine at Comair made Capt/CRJ at 24 also!

Comment

Canyon Blue, you where a Captain on a commuter airplane at 24?!

Well, I was a Army Lieutenant at 24. I went through ROTC and my major was Administration of Justice or Police Science.

I only started flying after my Military service. Or the ripe old age of 28.

You must be proud of yourself. To accomplish that in such a short time is a great thing.

Now, I'm thirty-one running a auto dealership with nine years in the Army and four years as a civilian Police Officer.

Hmm, what did I miss by not taking up flying at a younger age? An auto dealer with a 737-type rating? Never known...

Again, I say CONGRADULATIONS! On making your dream come true! [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[ January 29, 2003 01:01 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Lance ]

Comment

I was very,very lucky. I did the starving CFI deal during college. I had some contacts at Eagle that walked my resume in and gave me LORs. I think they were more impressed with the fact that I flew that god awful 707 sim pretty good....than worrying how old I was. It was a great gig....I enjoyed every minute of it! The Saab was a powerful little bird and will always be my favorite! BTW Lance....31 is not old, you still gotta a lot of flying years left in front of you!

Comment

Canyon Blue: The cars come before airplanes for me now!

I fly for pleasure, not for a career. I thought about it for awhile and it did not happen. Oh Well.

I always liked law enforcement and cars just run in the family.

Back on Topic. I flew from PDX to DTW on NWA last month and the person next to me would not stop talking. If only NWA could run the Pratts with his mouth! [img]laff.gif[/img]

BTW: He sold insurance. So it was insurance, insurance, insurance......rrrrrp. Insurance, insurance, insurance rrrrrp.

After about three hours of this I started with the Chrysler sales pitch and we called it that. [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

[ January 29, 2003 02:16 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Lance ]

Comment

CanyonBlue,

Many thanks for the insight you provided into 'young' airline pilots. I found it of great interest.

Congratulations and the very best of luck in your future airline career.

Comment

I agree that the constant talkers are bad. But worse, in my opinion, are those passengers who don't fit in their own seats. I've been on flights next to passengers so big it was impossible to even put my own tray-table down, because it would hit their bodies! Nothing is more annoying than that kind of physical encroachment.
                        Disclaimer: I'm not attacking the obese generally, there are many wonderful large people out there who have just as much right as I do to fly - and for the same cost. But I can tell you that being crammed in next to someone 40 inches wide in a 17 inch economy class seat doesn't make for a very pleasant flight.

Comment

Yea Canyon Blue,

Congrats to you too.

One of my good friend is now 21 flying as a full time co-pilot position on a corparate company on a Cessna Citation 560. He started flying at age 19 with that company part time until he got upgraded to full time. He had VERY good connections with them. He should be about 25 years old before he gets upgraded to captain and he already has his type rating on that bird.

Comment

Come on, we get BS from people who claim they have flow from "an airport in manhattan...to london" (That was flight of mine, ATL-AMS on KLM)

My first prize goes to the guy mentioned earlier. He walks in, creeps to the back of the plane, and takes his seat right next to mine. Since I was traveling with my mom and sister, I knew those seats were ours. I noted their boarding passes. Now, I politely ask him to re-check his boarding pass to ensure he made no error, and he was such a-A$$hole about it.
                            "NO, this is my seat. I sat here because I know its my seat. Don't talk to me that way, young man..." and rambles how I have no respect, yada yada. I called a flight attendant, and in five minutes, he was returning to his middle seat in the 2-3-2 configuration. He talked about planes after breakfast until the thing landed. He was in our row, so I got the liberty of hearing why the 747 has two floors. Apparently, it's because BOeing knew it would be good-looking to passengers. The four engines deal was the same as the first post's. I didn't correct the guy though, because we were late for our flt. to BOm,and had to run to the gate.

Hope that guy picks up a book
                            ATLcenter

Comment

I'm sure most of you don't want to fly with me as a passenger because will say some scary stuff. A friend and I were flying and we were talking about plane crashes and the passengers heard us. ::gulps::: I hope their were no nervous fliers on board.

So on descent, he goes "WE'RE GOING DOWN!!!"

As the flaps and speed brakes deploys, well "THE PLANE IS FALLING APART" after discussing the AA DC-10 crash in O'Hare and several incidents where the flaps and other parts of the aircraft parts fell off.

We both got a good slapping after the flight and went to Starbucks.

[img]clap.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X