FAA proposes new airliner 'black box' rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAA proposes new airliner 'black box' rules

New "black box" recorders would have to meet stricter reliability requirements and hold more information critical to helping accident investigators solve crashes, under a proposal by the Federal Aviation Administration (news - web sites).

The proposal, announced Thursday, follows years of recommendations by the National Transportation Safety Board (news - web sites) (NTSB (news - web sites)). It would require that cockpit recorders be impervious to power failures and that the devices have two hours of recording time instead of the 30 minutes they have now.

Other improvements include flight data recorders that collect more details about how cockpit controls were used during flight, and requiring recorders to store sound and data on computer chips instead of magnetic tape. The chips are far more able to withstand a crash.

"Good data is often the Rosetta stone to deciphering what went wrong in an aircraft incident or accident," FAA (news - web sites) Administrator Marion Blakey said.

The new proposal does not address the controversial issue of video recorders in the cockpit. The NTSB hopes to put video recorders on planes, but pilots oppose the idea. Blakey said the agency is still considering the video recorder issue.

Crash-proof recorders, first required at the dawn of the jet age in the 1950s, have been one of the most important tools investigators use to understand accidents. But poorly functioning or inadequate recorders have hindered several major accident investigations in recent years, including the USAir jet that crashed near Pittsburgh in 1994 and the American Airlines jet that plunged to the ground in Queens, N.Y., in 2001.

The latest proposal would not become law until it received final government approval. It appears to face little opposition but would not go into effect until late next year.

- The baby will be back -

Originally posted by babypurin
    New "black box" recorders would have to meet stricter reliability requirements and hold more information critical to helping accident investigators solve crashes, under a proposal by the Federal Aviation Administration (news - web sites).

The proposal, announced Thursday, follows years of recommendations by the National Transportation Safety Board (news - web sites) (NTSB (news - web sites)). It would require that cockpit recorders be impervious to power failures and that the devices have two hours of recording time instead of the 30 minutes they have now.

Other improvements include flight data recorders that collect more details about how cockpit controls were used during flight, and requiring recorders to store sound and data on computer chips instead of magnetic tape. The chips are far more able to withstand a crash.

"Good data is often the Rosetta stone to deciphering what went wrong in an aircraft incident or accident," FAA (news - web sites) Administrator Marion Blakey said.

The new proposal does not address the controversial issue of video recorders in the cockpit. The NTSB hopes to put video recorders on planes, but pilots oppose the idea. Blakey said the agency is still considering the video recorder issue.

Crash-proof recorders, first required at the dawn of the jet age in the 1950s, have been one of the most important tools investigators use to understand accidents. But poorly functioning or inadequate recorders have hindered several major accident investigations in recent years, including the USAir jet that crashed near Pittsburgh in 1994 and the American Airlines jet that plunged to the ground in Queens, N.Y., in 2001.

The latest proposal would not become law until it received final government approval. It appears to face little opposition but would not go into effect until late next year.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...rblackboxrules

I dont see the problem with this or even the cameras in the cockpit. If pilots arent violating rules then what is the big deal? If they are..then we want to catch them. I dont know about you but i dont want a cowboy at the stick of my plane.

Comment

Well it's about time! In this age where even coach passengers get their own PTV, they're still using magnetic tapes in black boxes. It only make sense to do the upgrades.

About video recorders: If I were a pilot, I wouldn't object it outright, but I would feel a wee bit uncomfortable to have someone/something monitoring you all the time. Reminds me of "1984", but obviously not to that extreme

Comment

I thought at first they were going to say make the box stronger, then its like WTF, those things never seem to get destroyed!

Comment

Everyone in the front end of airliner is a highly trained professional adhering to rigid standards to ensure your safety.

Companies treat us like we're in kindergarten far to much as it is. To add another tool for them to use in this game is outrageous, and I highly doubt it would donate much, if any useful information into an accident investigation.

Keep 'em out.
          Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Originally posted by LRJet Guy
            Everyone in the front end of airliner is a highly trained professional adhering to rigid standards to ensure your safety.

Companies treat us like we're in kindergarten far to much as it is. To add another tool for them to use in this game is outrageous, and I highly doubt it would donate much, if any useful information into an accident investigation.

Keep 'em out.
            I don't see how video recorders would intrude in a pilot's privacy any more than the CVR does. At least investigators would be able to see the instruments as a kind of backup in the event that the FDR malfunctions. Also, look at accidents like Egyptair 990, where it appears that it was a suicide but the Egyptians will never believe that. If there was video showing the FO diving the plane into the ground, they would have no choice but to accept the results of the investigation.

Bottom line, pilots need to suck it up for the safety of themselves and of the PAX that they fly around everyday. Besides, they don't have to worry about being watched unless they crash, and how likely is that?
            Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Depends on who has access to the tapes whether or not they could be used in an enforcement action. You can bet the FAA would want them for that.
              Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Working...
              X