Thoughts and prayers :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts and prayers :(

Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of the crew of a RAN Sea King Helicopter that has crashed on the Island of NIAS in Indonesia whilst offering assistance to the locals.

9 of the 11 on board have been killed.

ADG
    ADG
    No makeovers please .....

I guess its better that they died doing something helpful than playing with their toys in the sand for no good reason. RIP and speedy recoveries to all involved.

Comment

Those poor people. The tradegy of the recent earthquakes in the region continues...

Latest news from ABC.

Australia's leading source of information and entertainment

Nine Aussies dead in chopper crash: reports

Reports from the Indonesian island of Nias say that as many as nine Australian Defence Force personnel have been killed in a helicopter crash in the remote southern region of the island.

A Royal Australian Navy Sea King helicopter is said to have been approaching the village of Amandraya when it crashed on land.

A report from Australian Associated Press (AAP) quotes the captain of the HMAS Kanimbla, Commander George McGuire, as saying that two of the people on board the helicopter were seriously injured.

"We believe the rest of the personnel died," he told AAP.

However, an Indonesian air force spokesman has told Agence France Presse (AFP) that residents in the village saw the crash and saw three people climbing out of the helicopter afterwards.

The Kanimbla, equipped with Sea King helicopters and medical personnel, arrived off Nias on Saturday to help deliver aid and medical care to survivors of a massive earthquake.

On Monday a magnitude 8.7 earthquake hit the area, killing hundreds.

The Kanimbla is heading towards the area to try to reach the downed aircraft.

Many of the roads on Nias, a rugged tropical island off the coast of Sumatra, were left impassable by the earthquake.
      YBBN - James

Comment

Condolenses to all. What caused it to crash?
        -Kevin

Comment

Impact with the ground apparently.

But seriously, it's far to early to have a cause .. apparently (reports) the helo was on approach and about 20 metres from the ground started a nose dive and exploded upon impact.

Reports are sketchy and you all know what the media is like.

They are trying to put Australians at the scene ASAP to begin investigation.

ADG
          ADG
          No makeovers please .....

Comment

Condolences to the families of the dead
            The upgraded Air Humberside
            NOW WITH FORUM
            NEW! Air Humberside Photos @ Fotopic
            The NEW UK Airport News

My pictures at PlaneSpotters.net

Comment

R.I.P and my condolences. Good luck to those who were injured

Comment

My Condolences to all killed and I wish the survivors well.
                sigpic
                http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Sad to hear, RIP, and for those who survived, seriously injured , may they come over the sorrow that they may get after this .. My condolences to the families !
                  Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

RIP, sad thing is, they were on their way home untill the second earthquake hit, when they were told to go back and help.
                    Sam Rudge
                    A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

They truly were heroes....

May the RIP...
                      Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Working...
                      X