Laker Airlines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laker Airlines

After Laker went "bump" in the 1980's, Sir Freddie relaunched services in 1996/1997 using 3 DC10s-the routes were Gatwick to Orlando,Miami and Fort Lauderdale and Manchester to Orlando.

What is the airline doing now as they stopped flying to the UK in 1998?

Squeaky
    "It's a gift...and a curse" (Adrian Monk)

Next Flights:-
    EMA-PRG Easyjet
    PRG-EMA Easyjet

Last I heard Laker had stopped flying from the Bahamas to Lansing, FLL and Columbus Rickenbacker on B727's due to a Hurricane. Isnt this a different Laker though?
    The upgraded Air Humberside
    NOW WITH FORUM
    NEW! Air Humberside Photos @ Fotopic
    The NEW UK Airport News

My pictures at PlaneSpotters.net

Comment

No i dont think so. I heard Laker did have some 727s but didnt know where they flew to. Thanks Humberside!!

Squeaky

EMA-PRG Easyjet
      PRG-EMA Easyjet

Comment

Re:

The airline has ceased ops, and is looking at investors interested in it. It's also looking into options for replacement of the 727's, either the 737 or the 717.

Foxtrot

Comment

Ah yeah, Laker Airways, the airline that went BK and has been resurrected more often than Liz Taylor has married .

Comment

Freddie Laker probibly still wants a place in the aviation industry. I think once a airline dies, its dead. No use in trying your damndest to bring it back. Just like Pan Am and Jetsgo, we all know thell just find a place near the bottom, just "another carrier", no big deal and will have troubles. Why waste time trying to bring back a airline which will pretty much fail anyways?
            -Kevin

Comment

On a recent trip to the Bahamas, I saw two of the 727s sitting aside at Nassau Airport. They were sitting outside of a hanger with nothing around them and it appeared they they've been sitting there like for some time.

As for Freddie Laker, his airline will always have a place in my memories. As a child, I got to make a cockpit visit on one of their DC-10's from London to JFK. I was 8 at the time and I'll never forget that experience.

Comment

Had several flights on Laker when much younger - including A300 where I was allowed to stay in the cockpit for landing at Palma. The return trip was on a DC10 but the best was a day trip to Alicante and back where I was in the jump seat for the entire flight from take off to landing - a very memorable day.

Comment

Originally posted by timman19
                  As for Freddie Laker, his airline will always have a place in my memories. As a child, I got to make a cockpit visit on one of their DC-10's from London to JFK. I was 8 at the time and I'll never forget that experience.
                  Im gald you had a great Laker experience!!

When i was 10 i was going from MAN to Orlando on Laker. This was my first transatlantic trip. The flight was delayed for 12 hours- at least on the way back it was only delayed for 6 hours!!

Squeaky

EMA-PRG Easyjet
                  PRG-EMA Easyjet

Comment

At FLL I often see a pair of 727s (in the Laker c/s) and with Bahamian flags on the tail. They seem to have been there for a while but recently I saw one on the move. They are not parked at gates, so I doubt that they are used on regular service.
                    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
                      Ah yeah, Laker Airways, the airline that went BK and has been resurrected more often than Liz Taylor has married .
                      Aren't you talking about Pan Am?

DeltaRules

http://www.flightlevel350.com/aviati...r=Josh+Sprague

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaRules
                        Aren't you talking about Pan Am?

DeltaRules
                        No, that's the airline who's legacy is being buried under railroad tracks, thanks to Guilford Transportation .

Comment

Working...
                        X