Cheapest flight website?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheapest flight website?

what website does everyone use for booking flights the cheapest? The actual Oficial airlines webpage or a travel page like Expedia or Orbitz?

I always thought online travel sites (Expedia, Destina, etc.) are cheaper... until I seriously tried to priced a flight a few weeks ago. A Toronto to Hong Kong direct non-stop flight costs about $1700CAD on aircanada.ca, but over $2000CAD on Expedia for the exact same flight

Comment

Originally posted by avro_arrow_25206
      I always thought online travel sites (Expedia, Destina, etc.) are cheaper... until I seriously tried to priced a flight a few weeks ago. A Toronto to Hong Kong direct non-stop flight costs about $1700CAD on aircanada.ca, but over $2000CAD on Expedia for the exact same flight
      Ya i found that out too when on ata.com SFO-MSP a few hundred more on expedia and cheaptickets then it did on ata.com.
      sigpic
      http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

depends when you check each website, where you're goin, when you're goin, etc. There's no one website that is cheapter than the rest cause otherwise all of them would go out of business, I usually just check www.nwa.com travel.yahoo.com www.expedia.com www.orbitz.com and www.qixo.com

Comment

Actually I found that for YYZ-HKG, a travel agent can probably give you lower fare than any websites.

And yes, I found that for Canadian and US airlines, the airlines' own websites are now offering prices lower than those travel sites. But for airlines in other areas, travel sites or travel agents still have cheaper flights. Hint: Try www.cathaypacific.com (or www.cathay.ca) and you would be surprised how much it costs to fly YYZ-HKG. A travel agent can get at least a 50% off that price on the web site.

Generally, JAL offers the lowest fare for YYZ-HKG. It's a fare that no website can offer and can only be found with travel agents. The routing is YYZ-ORD/LAX/SFO-NRT-HKG. And curiously, for the lowest fare, the Canada-US segment is on AC instead of AA.
          Next:
          None Planned

Comment

Several airlines now promise the lowest possible fares directly on their website instead of paying "middle-men" like Orbitz or Travelocity to sell for them. I think AA & CO do it. I know WN doesn't even sell tix thru other sites.
            Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Bottom Line:

1. Check the Airline's websites
              2. Check other websites like expedia,Travelocity, cheaptickets, Bestfares,Lastminute etc etc both domestic and international websites. Meaning, checking a greek website to buy a ticket originating in another country.
              3. Check with your travel agent AND one that specializes in your required destination. Possible another agent in the coutry of your destination if you have one. I have tried it and i saved on it.

Then compare. Nothing is written in stone. Depends on destination.
              YANNIS

Comment

Yeah these online "travel agencies" will tack on some "Use fee's" and stuff like that. I dont have to worry, emplyee reservations, but for non-airline employee's your best bet is to check these pages and compare them for your best bet.
                -Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by CathayPacific
                  Actually I found that for YYZ-HKG, a travel agent can probably give you lower fare than any websites.
                  Yup, that's what my parents did at the end. It ended up at least $100 cheaper than aircanada.ca's webfare

Originally posted by CathayPacific
                  Generally, JAL offers the lowest fare for YYZ-HKG. It's a fare that no website can offer and can only be found with travel agents. The routing is YYZ-ORD/LAX/SFO-NRT-HKG. And curiously, for the lowest fare, the Canada-US segment is on AC instead of AA.
                  I did that in '96. It was YYZ-ORD-NRT-HKG one way, and SFO instead of ORD for the return leg. If I recall correctly, the Canada-US transborder sector back then was flown by Canadi>n operated by AA. The fares then were drastically cheaper than the direct flights, that's why my parents were willing to stop twice. But now, there isn't too much of a difference, so they would rather spend a little more to get there quicker.

Comment

I've found some pretty awesome deals on Hotwire.
                    www.acairport.com

Comment

Last time I bought a ticket from one of those sites then an actual Airline website was 3 years ago. Last minute flight and I didn't want to pay Y class so I got a C class (Not sure???) ticket for 1/4 the price.

Comment

www.mobissimo.com
                        Fly UAL!

Comment

Originally posted by Thrawn
                          Hmm ... I just tried that site and some really good deals came up. Might consider using it. (I'm planning a 4 night trip from ACY-LAX in September for a wedding).

Spirit Airlines was completely rediculous; some of the highest prices I've seen on that route, however Mobissimo brought up some awesome steals on DL with a connection in CVG and SLC (The DL website and other sites had me going through just CVG and it was like $100 more!).

Still gonna shop around a bit, though.
                          www.acairport.com

Comment

Originally posted by Thrawn
                            Mobissimo is not too bad, I've done research using SideStep and Yahoo! has been testing FareChase and another decent one is Kayak

Comment

I usually go to the airline's website first, then search expedia, orbitz, etc. This afternoon, I was booking a flight for my brother from DTW-MIA on AAL and it was $5 cheaper on aa.com than for the same flight on expedia.com
                              ADC Refugee

Click here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Working...
                              X