Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Las Vegas runway closed for next 18 months..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Las Vegas runway closed for next 18 months..

Runway 1R/19L at McCarran Airport closed today, and will be closed for the next 18 months as the existing asphalt runway will be completely removed and replaced with concrete. Additionally, taxiway D (parallel to 1R on the east side) will be closed for reconstruction as well.

Looks like the famous 'hotel' shots won't be happening this winter.

[photoid=236803]
    Trump is an idiot!
    Vote Democrats!!

Bummer

Comment

18 months!!! WTF?! how come that long?
      Suche gut gebaute 18-30 Jährigen zum schlachten.
      - Metzgermeister

Comment

well, there goes my vegas trip..... I guess I'll cancel the wedding......Amy isn't going to be pleased.....lol
        -Jay

Comment

Is this part of the prep for the A380 I wonder?
          Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Shows that the guys at LAS have not learned their lesson from FRAPORT. At FRA, they replaced the entire lenght of 07L/27R, without having to limit the flights. And how did they do that? By replacing 45 feet of runway per night, within a time frame of 6 hours. But obviously, LAS officials don't think they can do it that way.

Comment

That seems to be a bit much for a project, as back in 1999 when they replaced the concrete on 27L/9R @ ATL, they did it in under 4 months (They worked on it 24/7 [except for a few days it rained] and got it done early and under budget). I guess since they're changing the material being used, they have to create a different base on which to lay the concrete on (which is a thin layer of concrete mixed with soil).

On a similar note, they're supposed to start laying the concrete for the new runway @ ATL very soon, and it's supposed to be done by early spring at the latest (the last part of the new runway to be laid is going to tie in with the bridge over I-285, and that's currently targeted for January)
              Runway Set In Stone .

Comment

Like I said...they should lengthen 7R and do land 1L/ take-off 7R or 7L

Comment

Have to wait another year for a JAL vs. Luxor shot Chris!

Comment

They will still depart 1L though right? Just less frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ
                      Have to wait another year for a JAL vs. Luxor shot Chris!

[photoid=440024]

I want.....

Originally posted by Leftseat86
                      They will still depart 1L though right? Just less frequently.
                      Probably, but 1L is quite a bit further away, and often times that distance makes the difference between minimal heat haze and way too much.
                      Last edited by Chris Kilroy; 2005-05-19, 01:28.
                      Trump is an idiot!
                      Vote Democrats!!

Comment

Originally posted by PT737SWA
                        ya! for the HUGE Southwest A380 order, that they are geting
                        Alex
                        Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

Originally posted by PT737SWA
                          McCarran has said that they will not make accomodations for the A380.. and even if they were, they'd prepare the 14,500ft runway, not one of the 9,700 footers.
                          Trump is an idiot!
                          Vote Democrats!!

Comment

Does this have something to do with the movement of the AS gates in LAS?
                            I am really looking forward to coming down for my birthday and airshow
                            You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

Working...
                            X