US condemns Airbus plea for government help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US condemns Airbus plea for government help

The US government warned it could yet sue Europe at the WTO after European aircraft maker Airbus appealed for British government aid to help develop its A350 long-haul plane.

The request, which also angered Airbus's US arch-rival Boeing, came as the US government and the
    European Union battle to negotiate a deal on aircraft subsidies without going through the World Trade Organisation.

The office of the US Trade Representative (USTR) warned that the British government's decision on the request for A350 launch aid would be pivotal in the dispute.

The latest news and headlines from Yahoo News. Get breaking news stories and in-depth coverage with videos and photos.
    - The baby will be back -

USA: The bratty little sister that has to pipe in with an answer to a question they weren't asked.

Comment

Originally posted by Legend_Airlines
      USA: The bratty little sister that has to pipe in with an answer to a question they weren't asked.
      How do you equate global superpower with little sister?
      Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Originally posted by PT737SWA
        How do you equate global superpower with little sister?
        Because big sisters/brothers aren't supposed to be the snivelly ones.
        "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Originally posted by indian airlines
          Because big sisters/brothers aren't supposed to be the snivelly ones.
          I think france has been quite annoying lately with its idiot minister making comments that pisses off its potential customers.

Comment

good points.....especial in the case of the huge Boeing win with Air India

Comment

I think this is rediculous. The US goverment is probibly doing this because they back Boeing up so much. Since when does the US decide they are going to control outside companys, organizations, and consortiums? Airbus isnt just France, Its most of Europe. Germany, United Kingdom, France, and Spain. Plus many other countrys around the world that aid the manufactureing of aircraft. This doesnt make sense why the US would be so idiotic by sueing Europe because Airbus asked for a loan from the British Goverment. Thay have every right to! So what next? Is the US gonna sue Canada because Canadair asks the Canadian goverment for a loan on the C series? I certainly hope not. The US needs to stop acting like a baby and grow up! There only upset because Airbus jumped the bandwagon when Boeing anounced the 787 and Airbus came up with the 350.
              -Kevin

Comment

This agruement goes way back past the 787 so lets not blame it on that ACboy. And I think there is WTO limits to the amount a government body can subsidy to a give business. Airbus and the European government have been going over this limit for years now. It is a fact that Boeing receives subsidies from the US government but they are within the limit. Airbus has be feed tax payers money and it gravy boat isn't stopping soon. Many people wonder how could Airbus pour billions of dollars into the A380 and then launch the A350 even before they seen anything close to a profit from the A380? Well the answer is the hard working European taxpayers!!!!!!!! Without them there is no way Airbus would have funding to offer a new aircraft!!! Airbus has an unfair advantage, just ask McD or Lockhead, Airbus put them out of the aircraft pax business!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by onlyboeingifly
                  This agruement goes way back past the 787 so lets not blame it on that ACboy. And I think there is WTO limits to the amount a government body can subsidy to a give business. Airbus and the European government have been going over this limit for years now. It is a fact that Boeing receives subsidies from the US government but they are within the limit. Airbus has be feed tax payers money and it gravy boat isn't stopping soon. Many people wonder how could Airbus pour billions of dollars into the A380 and then launch the A350 even before they seen anything close to a profit from the A380? Well the answer is the hard working European taxpayers!!!!!!!! Without them there is no way Airbus would have funding to offer a new aircraft!!! Airbus has an unfair advantage, just ask McD or Lockhead, Airbus put them out of the aircraft pax business!!!!
                  thats for Europe to deal with, Not the USA or "World Police". Besides, how did Airbus put Lockheed and McD out of commercial aircraft buisness?
                  -Kevin

Comment

hence the WTO.....let me help you out...."World Tarde Organization" Not European Trade Organization....when i member (this uncludes the US, England, Germnay....etc) has a dispute about unfair trading (this includes exceeding sudsidy limits) that country may bring the complaint to the Organization (this is what the US is doing) where the 'FACTS" will be reviewed.

If the WTO let Europe deal with it there would be no need for the WTO and Europe would dominate the tworld trading.

I wonder how they taxpayers from England feel about there hard earned money going towards US/HP in turn for a sale. The money that was needed for R&D of the A350

Comment

Why is the USA taking the arguement to the WTO, that's what I want to know.

The USA just shits on whatever rulings the WTO makes against them anyways (read: softwood lumber). Almost like the United Nations.

Comment

Originally posted by kaddyuk
                        I support european money going towards the A380, it puts people in jobs so that they may contribute to our economy instead of leeching off our social security system.

Thats why the european economy is so strong, because we invest in people...
                        that's a good idea...instead of investing in blowing s**t up

Comment

Oh we still do that (Ref: UK in Iraq) Its just we make sure we hit the right target first
                          oh yeah, forgot that you guys are part of the "coalition of the willing" that every time somebody mentions "well most of the world is against this" bush goes "well dont forget about the UK and the 3 other countries that were crazy enough to go along with us"

Comment

Thats why the european economy is so strong, because we invest in people
                            ...um, question:

Exactly how do you arrive at the conclusion that "the European economy is so strong", when all but one of the EU's largest 'state' components have experienced essentially no NDP growth over the past half-decade, rising inflation, stalled home sales year-on-year, extremely high unemployment rates (Germany's was nearly double that of the USA last year), and little prospect for near-term change?

I'd really like to know.
                            Us, lighting a living horse on fire:
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH2_Q3oJPeU

Check it out!

Comment

No NDP gain but they arent paying for a war that they dont belong in. They dont have a GIGANTIC national debt like we do (thanks Dubya). They have more potential, so i dont know what you're talking about when you say they dont have any short-term change in sight. The EU will become stronger in these next few years and if it passes up the US economy, then more power to them. It'll be an interesting change and hopefully turn the world for the better.

Comment

Working...
                              X