ANA plane nearly took off at Komatsu Airport without tower permission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANA plane nearly took off at Komatsu Airport without tower permission

I wonder what is happening in Japan and its dedication to quality and safety.

First a JAL plane trying to take off without permisson in Sapporo, then some controllers telling two JAL planes to land at a closed runway in Haneda, then a driver crashed a speeding commuter train into an apartment building near Osaka. And now an ANA plane trying to take off without permission in Komatsu (a large coastal city on the Sea of Japan). And they all happened within a few months. What's going on?

I read about the incident in a news report not related to it on the Daily Yomiuri newspaper. So it is only briefly mentioned in one sentence:

Last month (i.e. April), a plane operated by Air Nippon, an affiliate of All Nippon Airways, also nearly took off without receiving permission from air controllers at Komatsu Airport, Ishikawa Prefecture."
    I wonder if anyone know any more about this. According to ANA's April schedule, the only Komatsu flights operated by Air Nippon are 737-500 services to Sendai and Fukuoka.
    Next:
    None Planned

Runway incursions and takeoffs/landings without permission are not uncommon, might have been a slow news day.

Comment

Well at least they try to do it on the runway.

Aviation Safety Network: Aviation Safety Network: Databases containing descriptions of over 11000 airliner write-offs, hijackings and military aircraft accidents.
      YBBN - James

Comment

Originally posted by YBBN
        Well at least they try to do it on the runway.

http://aviation-safety.net/database/...?id=20020125-0
        Well, it's just that I don't expect the Japanese to do things wrong so many times in such a short time, and as of CI... (do I need to say more?)
        Next:
        None Planned

Comment

Originally posted by CathayPacific
          Well, it's just that I don't expect the Japanese to do things wrong so many times in such a short time, and as of CI... (do I need to say more?)
          just bad timing. I dont think any of these are representative of a trend, just bad luck and bad timing. Just another example of how complacency is something you definately need to avoid when flying. Could happen to any of us if we're not paying attention.

Comment

What Emu said...

Also, I might add the same happens in the US at the same rate, probably every day (not the train thing, the take off without permission)... I know you weren't trying to bash Japan, but I still had to say something

(Also, I'm trying to reassure myself that everything is perfectly fine as I have to fly JAL in January 2007 )

Comment

Originally posted by jannichan
              I know you weren't trying to bash Japan, but I still had to say something
              Actually I wish I am now working in Tokyo instead of in Toronto. Can't forget those delicious blow fish sashimi. And I still prefer buying things with a "Made in Japan" tag on it rather than a "Made in China" or even "Made in USA" (no offence, fellow Americans). I just worry about things that are happening in the rest of the world but do not suppose to happen in Japan are finally and unfortunately starting to happen there.
              Next:
              None Planned

Comment

Can't forget those delicious blow fish sashimi
                That's poisonous stuff...it has to be cooked perfectly to be safe to eat.
                "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Originally posted by indian airlines
                  That's poisonous stuff...it has to be cooked perfectly to be safe to eat.
                  Cooking doesn't remove the poison. The liver and the ovaries have to be COMPLETELY removed. Eating even a very small part of those would kill you within 30min. In Japan, I think the people preparing the food has to be licensed to do so. But it's really really delicious, whether that's fried, cooked in soup, or eaten raw. That's why I won't eat it even if I find some restaurants offering it in other countries. It's only safe (relatively at least) in Japan.
                  Next:
                  None Planned

Comment

Originally posted by CathayPacific
                    Actually I wish I am now working in Tokyo instead of in Toronto. Can't forget those delicious blow fish sashimi. And I still prefer buying things with a "Made in Japan" tag on it rather than a "Made in China" or even "Made in USA" (no offence, fellow Americans). I just worry about things that are happening in the rest of the world but do not suppose to happen in Japan are finally and unfortunately starting to happen there.
                    I'm with you man, except for the fugu part. Eating dinner should not be a near death experience Man I wanna go back there

Comment

Working...
                    X