Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An A360?

LOL, it would be a funny name!

Anyway, with the A330 being relaunched as the A350, will we see an A340 replacement in the near future as the A360? Or is the A340 going to be around for a while?
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Originally posted by AA 1818
    LOL, it would be a funny name!

Anyway, with the A330 being relaunched as the A350, will we see an A340 replacement in the near future as the A360? Or is the A340 going to be around for a while?
    It would be very hard for 'bus to start ANOTHER aircraft program along with the 380 and 350. Maybe in 2-3 years when the 380 is settled with the airlines, they can look at launching a new single-deck quad. It would make sense in a tech standpoint, that they can use the new engine technology and composite techniques to improve the 340, like the 330->350.

Comment

An A360 is not gonna happen, because the aircraft could be confused with the order by ATC to execute a full turn (aka a "360").

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
        An A360 is not gonna happen, because the aircraft could be confused with the order by ATC to execute a full turn (aka a "360").
        Why would ATC give an order for a 360º turn? Hopefully not on the tarmac. In the air wouldn't they just call it a holding pattern?
        Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

I doubt that numberical identifier would be used, could be confusing.

That, and Airbus will likely concentrate on a 737/A32x replacement before it worries about addressing the 300-400 seat market again.... despite the A340's relative lack of ability vis-a-vis its twinjet competitor.
          Us, lighting a living horse on fire:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH2_Q3oJPeU

Check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by PT737SWA
            Why would ATC give an order for a 360º turn? Hopefully not on the tarmac. In the air wouldn't they just call it a holding pattern?
            Just quoting an article from German AeroInternational. According to that article, Airbus dismissed the designation A350 for the then-A3XX as being too close to the A340 and A360 for the said reason. Didn't say anything about the dismissal of A370 other than that the 8 is a lucky number in Asia and that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
              Coulden't that argument be applied to any number between 1 and 360?
              DELTA- Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive

Comment

Originally posted by UA755
                Coulden't that argument be applied to any number between 1 and 360?
                Ya If ATC told an Aircraft to report an Airbus 360 in sight I doubt the aircraft would suddenly turn to heading 360. It would be no diffrent then 340 or 350. I've yet to hear ATC tell an aircraft to do a 360 turn, as in turning all the way around, and can't see how that could be confused with an aircraft.
                sigpic
                http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

The correct ATC term for a 360 degree turn is "orbit" (i.e. "Alpha Bravo Charlie perform left hand orbit").

Comment

Re

I heard a rumour some time ago that the A360 would be an A320 replacement, notice how this rumour has started at about the same time that Boeing are planning the 737-900X, I can see a new Airbus-Boeing rivalry starting, however, the A359 does not sound very good for an A319 replacement!
                    DTVAirport

Comment

Originally posted by bmiChris2k5
                      I heard a rumour some time ago that the A360 would be an A320 replacement, notice how this rumour has started at about the same time that Boeing are planning the 737-900X, I can see a new Airbus-Boeing rivalry starting, however, the A359 does not sound very good for an A319 replacement!
                      So do I.
                      Alain
                      Thanks for visiting
                      *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                      *JetPhotos*
                      Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kadena_Troop
                        Are you serious?
                        Yes accually Virgin operates the most relible A340's in the World. I think AC comes second. Not sure, but Airbus aircraft are quite relible and fuel efficent.

And yes, there are a lot of aircraft better than Boeings.

Originally posted by bmiChris2k5
                        Considering Airbus made a smart move to save on numbers to use for designations (I dont know if they had this in mind) but I think the A320 replacement would be the A320-300 or-400 and same with the 319 as A319-200 because so far there only is the...

A320-100 (without wingtip fences, AF and BA operates these only)
                        A320-211 (first generation CFM)
                        A320-214 (second generation CFM)
                        A320-214M (over-water abilities)
                        A320-232 (IAE engines)
                        A320-232M

A319-111, 112, or 114 and M for CFM
                        A319-131 or 132 and M for IAE

so probibly the next A320 and A319 replacement will be the A320-300 ect... but I doubt for the A321 and A318. Who knows? Theres a wide possibility for names for the replacement like A322 or A323. We will just have to wait and see.
                        Last edited by Chris Kilroy; 2005-05-27, 08:53.
                        -Kevin

Comment

Working...
                        X