American Says Wright Repeal Would Be Double-Whammy for North Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Says Wright Repeal Would Be Double-Whammy for North Texas

In response to Texas Representatives Jeb Hensarling and Sam Johnson declaring today their intention to sponsor legislation to repeal the Wright Amendment, American Airlines Executive Vice President Dan Garton said:

"This is a double-whammy for North Texas. If Southwest gets their way again, both the economy and the environment will surely suffer. First, repealing the Wright Amendment will be a setback to the region's growth. Second, the inevitable and dramatic rise in air traffic at Love Field will harm the environment in the neighborhoods around the airport. Make no mistake, the number of flights from Love Field will increase to levels never planned.

At Yahoo Finance, you get free stock quotes, up-to-date news, portfolio management resources, international market data, social interaction and mortgage rates that help you manage your financial life.
    - The baby will be back -

Sounds like American is afraid of some competition .

Comment

American is talking like they are full of it. While the NIMBY argument may work, you could also say that for DFW as well. And their argument about the move hurting the economy, what a crock of sh!t. Strangely, it didn't hirt the economy when DL pulled their 250 flights . AA, give the fvck up AAnd reAAlize that you cAAn't stAAy without LCC competition AAt your mAAin hub forever. Go Southwest!

Comment

Re:

Well, the effects of the DL hub-drop won't be felt immediately, but over time, you'll see the revenue losses. Still DFW has had it easier than some other airports relatively speaking.

This is nothing more than American's last-ditch attempt to stop the repeal of the Wright Amendment. It's not going to work. What was passed as law some 25+ years ago is now coming back to bite it IMO.

Foxtrot

Comment

"This is a double-whammy for North Texas. If Southwest gets their way again, both the economy and the environment will surely suffer.
          Oh my god.. Southwest gets their way AGAIN? How did they get their way in the first place? If I recall the WA was AGAINST Southwest, not FOR?
          How will the public suffer? Ya, They will suffer with more frequency of flights. ya we'd HATE that..oh my god, and we SHAN'T have the lower prices that these poor public would SUFFER from...oh and whats wrong with the LUV and care that SWA gives? Its horrible, ya we will all SUFFER from it...

First, repealing the Wright Amendment will be a setback to the region's growth.
          Guess those extra flights from DAL with other airlines and SWA won't count for something. Setback hmmh? We didnt experience a set back when IAH and HOU run together. Surely no setback to the region for Northern Illinois and surrounding cities for ORD/MDW. Dare I say was there a set back in Washington DC? Or the LAX area? God forbid there was one in Orlando..

Second, the inevitable and dramatic rise in air traffic at Love Field will harm the environment in the neighborhoods around the airport. Make no mistake, the number of flights from Love Field will increase to levels never planned.
          Hmmh, guess no one heard about the 737's that Southwest got....and uhm..AA flies MD80's out of MDW, thats pretty loud and its near the houses correct? And AA and DL is the only MD80 operator in USA correct? That flies out of DFW? Also at SNA, we have the same noise problem, but did they close the airport? NO, they learned to work their way around it! By having a high take off to reduce the noise! They can make that work at DAL as well.

This push by Southwest reflects the understandably selfish intentions of a company that today is roaming the halls of Congress seeking special favors. If Southwest were sincere about growing and competing, they would be flying from DFW Airport -- and they wouldn't need an act of Congress. We're confident the community will not let Southwest risk the quality of life for North Texans just to preserve and expand their monopoly at Love Field."

Selfish intentions? BUWAHAHAHA Well sorry for Southwest wanting to give low fares to the public and further choices out of DAL. Wanna talk monopoly? What is AA doing at DFW? DL at ATL...UAL and AA together at ORD? And even if it was monpoly, its a price range the public can AFFORD!! WOW! Ever heard that AA? Your "monopolies" would be way to high in the price range!!!

I am sorry, but AA has REALLY pushed me over the edge. I am ashsmed to say that AA is acting this way ugh. any comments on my comments?
          Alex
          Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

Excuses, excuses ...

AA is like the pussy of the airline business.
            www.acairport.com

Comment

Originally posted by matt1168
              Excuses, excuses ...

AA is like the pussy of the airline business.
              Agreed, it was them that tried to Legend out of business by flying 56 seaters out of DAL..and they are mad WN will be able to do something..scared heh AA? Now you know what it feels like hehehe coming back to bite them as someone said!
              Alex

Comment

AA should be scared, Southwest could out match anything AA throws at them. I'd love to see LUV grow to resemble its glory days.

Comment

Originally posted by AA_MD-80@STL
                  Wanna talk monopoly? ... DL at ATL
                  Seems you have forgotten that 717-using LCC that has been biting DL's a$$ at ATL for the last decade named Air Tran .

Comment

AA & DFW are using some very poor arguments against WN & DAL.

First the arguement that it would hurt the economy is incorrect. How could it hurt the economy to bring business travelers and tourists to town and have them land CLOSER to the downtown area? The Dallas ecomony would certainly prosper which is why the repeal has been endorsed by the Dallas Chamber of Commerce. As for Ft. Worth business & tourism, those folks can still fly to DFW.

I think a repeal could potentially hurt AA because of their business model and higher cost structure. Since AA swears they would open flights from DAL again, WN would certainly kill them on competing routes. AA would need to aggressively market the frills that WN doesn't offer in order to appreal to the customer that isn't as concerned about finding the cheapest ticket.

If you haven't been to the website Southwest has created to repeal the amendment, please visit http://www.setlovefree.com
                    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
                      Seems you have forgotten that 717-using LCC that has been biting DL's a$$ at ATL for the last decade named Air Tran .
                      I will say the same thing I said about Southwest at DAL, even if AirTran has a monoply, its at a price range that the general public can AFFORD. This is a good kind of monopoly.
                      Alex

ps- they also use 73G's too

Comment

Working...
                      X