Airbags in Planes??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airbags in Planes??

So I took a 172 up to Stuart to pick up a Cessna rep. so he could then take the aircraft to get some Air Conditioning put in it...anyways while straping into this new '05 172SP I noticed a thick padded leather section on the lap belt. So i figured probably some plush feature the rich exec. who bought the plane ordered. Well once I picked up the Cessna rep. I asked him bout it. The paded section is actually an airbag. Maybe I've been under a rock but this is the first I've heard of this.
    Try to catch me flyin dirty...

'05 is the first year they're offering that as an option.
    Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Originally posted by mikecweb
      Maybe I've been under a rock but this is the first I've heard of this.
      http://cessna.com/news/article.chtml...BI8tXlorUtxAkF

Comment

I guess if you rear end a Chevy Nova at 25mph it would be a good idea, but a 5000fpm descent w/o a wing, I don't think an airbag will help you out much.

Comment

I suppose it's an ok idea... but airbag and aircraft somewhat don't match in my head

Originally posted by Greg
          I guess if you rear end a Chevy Nova at 25mph it would be a good idea, but a 5000fpm descent w/o a wing, I don't think an airbag will help you out much.
          That's why I have a feeling it's there for emergencies during taxi'ing

Comment

From what the cessna guy told me a majority of the fatal wounds from planes crashes is from hitting the instrument panel.

Comment

From what the cessna guy told me a majority of the fatal wounds from planes crashes is from hitting the instrument panel.
              Hmmm... I would have thought un-expected contact with the ground would have been #1.

Comment

that is also what I heard in my physiology class. I would assume that they have done some reasearch and found that an airbag is an advancement in safety before they put one in....at least I hope so. I remember reading a brief article about them offering airbags in one of the GA magazines (probably flying since it is simply a huge advertisement for new toys)

Comment

Guys, which one would you choose?
                  • Airbags,... deployed in a hundred of a second after an accident happened on the ground.
                  • Ejection Seat,... deployed in a hundred of second too, but, before an accident happened on the ground or in mid-air.
                  The minus thing of an airbag is if the accident happened in mid-air, forget it, you're dead most likely after crashed on the ground. Nothing can beat the force of impact caused by gravity.

The plus thing of an ejection seat is the feeling of being a Tom Cruise as a top gun pilot who got shot by Russian anti-aircraft missile in Iran, if this war of the continued saga really gonna happen.

I'd prefer ejection seat, which of course not gonna be availabe.
                  http://www.academieoffarside.net

Comment

Originally posted by EquatorSky
                    Guys, which one would you choose?
                    • Airbags,... deployed in a hundred of a second after an accident happened on the ground.
                    • Ejection Seat,... deployed in a hundred of second too, but, before an accident happened on the ground or in mid-air.
                    The minus thing of an airbag is if the accident happened in mid-air, forget it, you're dead most likely after crashed on the ground. Nothing can beat the force of impact caused by gravity.

The plus thing of an ejection seat is the feeling of being a Tom Cruise as a top gun pilot who got shot by Russian anti-aircraft missile in Iran, if this war of the continued saga really gonna happen.

Personally everytime I get into a cessna I would not want to strap into an ejection seat.

Comment

Originally posted by EquatorSky
                      The plus thing of an ejection seat is the feeling of being a Tom Cruise as a top gun pilot who got shot by Russian anti-aircraft missile in Iran, ..
                      Have you ever ridden an ejection seat? It's not a walk in the park. If you don't get your body in the right position before pulling the handle, chances are you are going to be a hurting puppy if you survive. I've been up the rails a few times and while a necessity in high performance military jets, the weight alone would kill something like a Cessna.

I would think ballistic parachute systems and airbags would suffice for little planes.

Comment

Working...
                      X