Northwest to stop supplying magazines to cut costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northwest to stop supplying magazines to cut costs

In yet another effort to cut its non-labor costs, Northwest Airlines Corp. stopped carrying Newsweek, Glamour and other magazines on its planes and in its passenger club lounges on Wednesday.

Cutting magazine subscriptions out of the budget will save the airline $565,000 in the coming year, said Northwest spokesman Kurt Ebenhoch

- The baby will be back -

And people were upset over the pretzels

Comment

I rarely see people ever taking a look at them anyway.

Comment

Maybe they will start showing advertisements for other airlines to bring in some revenue? People really enjoy the Frontier commercials....I think they would do well...........

Comment

Originally posted by babypurin
          In yet another effort to cut its non-labor costs, Northwest Airlines Corp. stopped carrying Newsweek, Glamour and other magazines on its planes and in its passenger club lounges on Wednesday.
          Originally posted by chrisburns
          Is the cut just on domestic flights or is it on all flights (incl. trans-Pacific and trans-Atlantic)? It is probably true that people rarely read those magazines on board on domestic flights, but people do read them on long flights (primarily because there are nothing else to do after you have spent 10hrs in the seat). I haven't flown NW for long range flights (and I am not looking forward to doing so), but on CX's HKG-YYZ flights, the newspapers and magazines provided constantly ran out.
          Next:
          None Planned

Comment

I still say they're going to take toilet paper next..or just make it BYOTP...i dunno

Comment

They have to start saving up money to pay for those new 787s somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisburns
                ..aaaannnddd here's chris with a rebuttal He has an excuse for EVERYTHING!

LOL Just teasing...
                Alex
                Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeffinDEN
                  Maybe they will start showing advertisements for other airlines to bring in some revenue? People really enjoy the Frontier commercials....I think they would do well...........
                  Good idea, advertise in airplanes, and I am serious to!
                  -Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by ACman
                    Good idea, advertise in airplanes, and I am serious to!
                    Well...America West currently has advertisements throughout its planes.
                    - The baby will be back -

Comment

Probably a smart move...I always thought that airlines instead should sell popular magazines onboard and not have an inflight magazine...no offense to the airlines...but the writing in the inflight magazines kinda sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyCharlestonSC
                        ...I always thought that airlines instead should sell popular magazines onboard and not have an inflight magazine.
                        You are joking right? Do you think it wise to have all the hassle of stocking aircraft with magazines after everyflight, and have the stewardesses run around selling Sports Illustrated and Cosmo for $11 bucks each? I'm sure their Union will love that. The extra manpower, added infastructure, added work load, and weight alone would kill any profit derived from their sale.

Take no offense, but that sits on the top of my "Stupid Idea List", as I'm sure it will on other's too. My comment about advertising for other airlines was nothing more then humor..........

Comment

Bring your own reading material. The only people I ever see with the magazines are the employees.

Comment

Next thing you know, they'll be taking out the lavatories & window shades

I always take books on longer flights. For my trip this coming week I got a biography on Howard Hughes. I'm pretty excited to read it. I've always found him fascinating.
                            Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Originally posted by PT737SWA
                              Next thing you know, they'll be taking out the lavatories & window shades
                              That'd be plain silly....

Why take them out when you can make them coin operated!

25 cents for 10 minutes of shade
                              1$ for the lavs

And for the pilots....................
                              Want the altitude?
                              - 25 cents/10 minutes
                              ATIS info?
                              - $1 per report

Comment

Working...
                              X