Airlines turning To Boeing's 777

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airlines turning To Boeing's 777

Nothing new, although its interesting stuff.

http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pb...506200313/1011

It claims:

Qantas will make a widebody order of A340/50 or 777/787 aircraft in 3-4 months.

Emirates will shed its A340-500s if the 777-200LR is ordered in a complex deal which involves A350s.

I know the guy's in marketing... but even then, Leahy's idiocy never ceases to amaze me.

Anywho, I'd say the most significant aspect of this report is confirmation that SQ did indeed kill its A345 options-- a topic of hot debate on A.net.
    Us, lighting a living horse on fire:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH2_Q3oJPeU

Check it out!

Comment

I'm starting to love the 777, but something set me back today, i bought a 1:200 BA777 model and the ####'s didn't include the tailfin in the box :@ :@ so thats put me off it.

Click Here to view my pathetic attempts at Aviation photography!
      View the Darkside

Comment

While the 777 is a great aircraft, I'm not really sure why Qantas would want to add another fleet type to their airline; which is complicated enough. Sadly, I think its going to Airbus, as they have been recently ordering from them, and will probably surpass Boeing in a lucrative deal.
        - The baby will be back -

Comment

Originally posted by babypurin
          While the 777 is a great aircraft, I'm not really sure why Qantas would want to add another fleet type to their airline; which is complicated enough. Sadly, I think its going to Airbus, as they have been recently ordering from them, and will probably surpass Boeing in a lucrative deal.
          Why would it necessarily go to Airbus? They will have to introduce another fleet type whether they buy Boeing or Airbus. Cockpit commonality is an overrated factor. Introducing the A346 will also introduce a new engine type the same way that a 773ER would. Im not sure of what % is the spares commonality between the A330's and the A346's/A350's (I would think that this would be less than 50%) but Boeing can easily make up for the difference upfront (pricing) or through "estimated" cheaper operating costs.

As for their complicated fleet, we would probably see them harmonize the fleet by replacing the 767's and A330's with one family (A358/A359's or 783/788/789), replacing the 743's/older 744's/GE 744's(non-ER) with the 773ER or A346 and move LHR and LAX operations to the A380
          adaequatio rei et intellectus

Comment

I won't be surprised if the order goes either way, however Boeing has the upper hand as the fleet planning guy recently payed a visit to Seattle & is supposed to be 'Pro-Boeing'. As well as that their looking for an aircraft which can handle domestic routes and Boeing has the 787-3 as their solution. As for Airbus they have no A350 Domestic Variant as of yet, unless they launch one specifically for Qantas but I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by zzzz
              I won't be surprised if the order goes either way, however Boeing has the upper hand as the fleet planning guy recently payed a visit to Seattle & is supposed to be 'Pro-Boeing'. As well as that their looking for an aircraft which can handle domestic routes and Boeing has the 787-3 as their solution. As for Airbus they have no A350 Domestic Variant as of yet, unless they launch one specifically for Qantas but I doubt it.
              Qantas wouldn't want to buy an unprooved aircraft, they may make themselves launch customers just for the publicity and buy a few but i can't see a large order of an aircraft which figures lie still on paper. If Qantas want a decent domestic aircraft they should look no further then the A320.

Click Here to view my pathetic attempts at Aviation photography!
              View the Darkside

Comment

Originally posted by G-MIDY
                . If Qantas want a decent domestic aircraft they should look no further then the A320.
                Why so?
                "If it weren't for the 777LR, I would love the A345"

Comment

Qantas wouldn't want to buy an unprooved aircraft,
                  Well they bought "unproven" paper-weight A332's for domestic ops and look how much it failed on the MEL-SYD routes
                  Heck even SQ didnt bite on that one

If Qantas want a decent domestic aircraft they should look no further then the A320.
                  Hate to break it to yah bud, but they have those in the group's fleet already (under the Jetstar brand) and they also operate a decent fleet of 738W's

Comment

Cathay is also believed to be buying A340-600/ 777-300ER aircraft. There are rumors that the 777 is going to be selected over the A340 although it is powered by GE engines (Cathay is a RR supporter).

Singapore may replace their fleet of A340-500s with the 777-200LR. It has been confirmed that they have removed all options for the A345.

You have made a good point about the A320- it is a very good domestic aircraft. However, as mentioned above JetStar (QFs No Frills airline) already operates A320s. Also they (QF) need a bigger aircraft than the A320/1. I however don't see the point of JetStar operating A320s (as QF operates 737-800s - I thought airlines are simplyfing their fleets these days!).

Comment

I thought airlines are simplyfing their fleets these days!
                      I thought so too, but we do have a lot of anomolies, including Air Egypt (after the recent 738 order), Air France, British Airways and Emirates, who seem to have a large fleet mix of aircraft.

Comment

Egypt Air had been order A346???

Comment

Originally posted by pbateson
                          Egypt Air had been order A346???
                          No, but they recently ordered 737-800's, which is quite unusual considering they were trying to head to an all-Airbus fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by babypurin
                            No, but they recently ordered 737-800's, which is quite unusual considering they were trying to head to an all-Airbus fleet.
                            Dont know if they will go all Airbus but then again, they were rumoured to do so (hence removing the 772ER's from their fleet). However, the 772's are still "ingrained" in their fleet serving their more "lucrative" routes.

Comment

The A340 would fit nicely in the Qantas fleet I reckon, however I've been hearing a lot of rumours about their A333s having a lot of technical problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X