• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems On Canjet Flight 162

Troubled CanJet flight never in danger, airline says
    Last Updated Tue, 28 Jun 2005 14:53:07 EDT
    CBC News http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/natio...ght050628.html

A CanJet flight to Halifax that was first forced to return to Toronto before continuing on its way without cabin pressure and finally being diverted to Moncton was never in danger, according to the airline.

The plane developed problems just after it first left Toronto on Monday night at 9:15.

"People were starting to complain there was a problem because people's ears were hurting," said Tristan Mills, a passenger on Flight 162. "There were many kids screaming and crying.

"Then they came on and said they had to turn the plane around due to the fact that we [had] a mechanical malfunction and [could not] pressurize the cabin."

Mills said the pilots flew the plane back to Toronto, where it was decided the plane would travel to Halifax without pressure in the cabin, though at a lower altitude of 10,000 Feet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cabin did not have any pressure, so the flight was made at only 10,000 feet! I can't belive they can make a flight without having those systems working. And then, after all that they couldn't land in Halifax because of weather. People on the news said they could see the ground out the window and then they heard the engines powering up and started climbing again. Everyone was crying and screaming. Quite an incident, that is hopefully resolved soon. But wow, that would be a confusing scary expirence.
    Thanks,
    Michael

I saw the tards on the news, making comments like they were AME's...

Pretty interesting event, first time I've heard of it from Canjet. But, after all, it is a discount airline.
    My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

I wonder which aircraft it was involved. I sure hope it was one of the old 732s, cause if it was one of their new ones, that would be bad news for them. There are planing to get rid of the 732s A.S.A.P anyways.
      Thanks,
      Michael

Comment

There are aircraft in the world that have altitude restrictions because of the airframe etc, that I have heared of such as CP north and Air canada even had a couple 732s that were restricted to certain altitudes.Kinda scary knowing some of that stuff.
        Fly Edmonton first.Canadas gateway to the north.

Comment

Well, isn't this a shit-sorm form Canjet. It's all over the local news here and it was on the National. They better fart out a press release soon, because this doesn't look good one them.

I don't know what type of aircraft it was because all they were showing file pics...
          My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

It was a 737-500

Comment

I heard it over my house last night around 0 hour and 1. Tired and watching daily show w/ Jon Stewart.
              -Kevin

Comment

Another Jetsgo in the making?
                Next:
                None Planned

Comment

Originally posted by CathayPacific
                  Another Jetsgo in the making?
                  Hardly. Canjet has been around as long, if not longer than Jetsgo and this is their first 'incident' even though it really wasn't putting anybody in danger.

Why do aircraft suffering rapid decompression descend to 10,000? Because it's safe there!

Comment

Aren't you guys quick to judge..

Chances are good that the part required wasn't available in YYZ. They flew to YHZ following standard procedures (flying no higher than 10K ft.) and ran into bad luck with the weather. Sounds to me like a glamorized story on a slow news day.

PS: I don't work for Canjet.
                    EH..

Comment

Originally posted by CanadaEH

Chances are good that the part required wasn't available in YYZ. They flew to YHZ following standard procedures (flying no higher than 10K ft.) and ran into bad luck with the weather. Sounds to me like a glamorized story on a slow news day.

No, your right. We shouldn’t be judging so quickly because with today's media you never know if it's the full story. But someone else said that they need to put out a press realise soon or there going to get screwed over like Skyservice did when their plane broke, and thats true. I have nothing against Canjet, my grandparents have flown them 4 times and loved the service although the landings were always quite hard. I just really hope this is not Jetsgo episode 2 in the making.
                      Thanks,
                      Michael

Comment

Originally posted by CanadaEH

I agree that this CanJet incident wasn't a safety issue and really wasn't a story worthy of news, but it would make for an uncomfortable flight due to the lack of pressurization and also having to fly lower in turbulence and weather. The JetsGo incident in Calgary was a much worse situation for safety.
                        Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

From Canjet's Website: http://www.canjet.ca/en_view_press_r...spx?NewsID=105

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Press Release

29/06/2005
                          Julie Gossen's Letter to Flight #162 Customers

Dear Customers,

I want to take this opportunity to personally apologize to our customers aboard CanJet Airlines flight #162 between Toronto and Halifax on Monday night, June 27th.

In the airline industry, some days are diamonds and some days are stones. From a customer service perspective, we did not glitter on June 27th. However, I want to assure you we have learned a valuable lesson as we turn the page and move forward.

Our airline has thoroughly reviewed and analyzed the facts of June 27th. Re: flight #162 and we have learned a valuable lesson on the importance of continuous communications both internally and with our customers. Despite certain comments in the media, I give you my personal assurance that the safety of the passengers, the crew and the aircraft was never jeopardized.

We do not simply fly airplanes from one destination to another. We are in the people business and I do sincerely appreciate your frustrations with the events of June 27th. I am sure the last thing you needed, after a delayed second departure from Toronto, was to be diverted to another city in the middle of the night. However, a heavy fog had descended over Halifax International Airport during the journey from Toronto and the Captain had no other choice but to divert the aircraft to Moncton.

For the disruption in your journey and for the long day you endured, please accept, on behalf of all my co-workers at CanJet, the most sincere apology. This is not the level of customer service our passengers have come to expect from our airline. My colleagues in our Customer Care division will personally contact every customer onboard flight #162 and each of you will be compensated for the inconvenience and the disruption in your journey.

In conclusion, I want to thank you in advance for your anticipated understanding and I do hope you will continue to be our customer in the future.

Sincerely,

Julie N. Gossen
                          Executive Vice-President & COO
                          CanJet Airlines

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

To me, this doesn't do much. It's just telling us the same things we always hear. But, its better then nothing.
                          Thanks,
                          Michael

Comment

Originally posted by yyz-yvr

To me, this doesn't do much. It's just telling us the same things we always hear. But, its better then nothing.
                            As far as I know, this is something that's different from Jetsgo

Comment

Working...
                            X