Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American considers winglets to improve 757s' efficiency

American considers winglets to improve 757s' efficiency
    American Airlines may soon add winglets to its Boeing 757s. The small airfoils installed at the wingtips would reduce a plane's drag and allow it to fly longer routes, such as New York to Europe. A spokesman said the company hasn't made a decision to purchase the winglets yet, but is "looking to maximize our aircraft capabilities." The Dallas Morning News (free registration) http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....84633076.html

...good stuff.

If they go ahead with winglets, then there's a good chance they'll also go forward with the new 752 int'l cabin that people have been buzzing about.

Here's another longshot:
    maybe UA, who has practically no power in NYC of its own accord, might consider sending some of its ETOPS 752s over the water-- PS aircraft opping JFK-LHR?
    Us, lighting a living horse on fire:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH2_Q3oJPeU

Check it out!

Comment

Not a big surprise considering AA is very pleased with their current 757 transatl routes, and wants to add more of those.
      Still wonder when DL will finally realise the advantages of 752W service across the Atlantic.

Comment

Winglets are the single most effective thing airlines can do to reduce costs at this point, next to axing employees.
        Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

They need to spruce up the interiors on the 757s, they are old and dingy.
          Ryan Davis
          Admin, FlyerGuide.Net
          www.flyerguide.net

Comment

Forget the winglets! Their no1 priority should be a new livery and a fleet modernisation program!
            DTVAirport

Comment

Originally posted by bmiChris2k5
              Forget the winglets! Their no1 priority should be a new livery and a fleet modernisation program!

What? To change livery now, and to order new planes, will cost money. Their current fleet is not in need of updating yet anyway. After Sept.11th they got rid of the 727s, the DC-10s, F-100s and the MD-11s . Their fleet is preety stremalined nowadays, mostly Boeing, excpet for the A300s (that are integrally locked into the AA system) and the MD-80s (the workhorse of AA), so al planes in the fleet check out.

Also, the new c/s, hahahaha.... I really doubt that it will be changing anytime soon. The current image keeps them distinctly from other carriers (thank God that they don;t have a trashy Eruo-White scheme), and also it will cost money to change!

As for the winglets, that would be sweet! The 757s are really important to AA, and the airline has been showing alot of interests in adding frequencies to some of it's top European destinations that are within the range of the 757s (from the US).
              Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Well ok, their fleet is fine, for the next few years anyway, as for the livery, they could still modernize it and still be distinct from other carriers, I'm looking at this from a European point of view, we like our aircraft to be modern, with great liveries and an average fleet age of about 5 years
                DTVAirport

Comment

I'm looking at this from a European point of view, we like our aircraft to be modern, with great liveries and an average fleet age of about 5 years
                  Then explain to me the term "Eurowhite". Hint: Look at BA, LH or AF.
                  And average fleet age of 5 in Europe? Man, I gotta wonder how young those A300/310s and 733/735s at LH are, or the MD-80s at AZ.

Comment

Ok, there is a few exceptions on the five year thing, but most are roughly that, and just what is wrong with eurowhite?
                    DTVAirport

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
                      Still wonder when DL will finally realise the advantages of 752W service across the Atlantic.
                      Um.. Colin,
                      aren't you forgetting something(s), with that statement cher?

This is perhaps the single most idiotic statement I've ever seen on this site... somewhat disconcerting.

Check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by onlyboeingifly
                        American considers winglets to improve 757s' efficiency
                        American Airlines may soon add winglets to its Boeing 757s. The small airfoils installed at the wingtips would reduce a plane's drag and allow it to fly longer routes, such as New York to Europe. A spokesman said the company hasn't made a decision to purchase the winglets yet, but is "looking to maximize our aircraft capabilities." The Dallas Morning News (free registration) http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....84633076.html
                        Hope it happens! They've flying those hotrods to MAN already so why not fly it to other points in Western Europe.

To digress a bit, they might even install APB winglets on some of their 738s' who fly transcon and Alaska routes (although it would create a new subfleet though).

Originally posted by Concordeboy
                        Here's another longshot:
                        maybe UA, who has practically no power in NYC of its own accord, might consider sending some of its ETOPS 752s over the water-- PS aircraft opping JFK-LHR?
                        Logical given that their presence in the JFK-LHR is only with their International 763ER's. The 757 PS product would actually be better and even cater well to their Global Services and Corporate Clients who will pay for premium seats.

By the way, does anybody know how long these planes stay idle in JFK and SFO/LAX?

Edit: Updated 2nd Quote
                        adaequatio rei et intellectus

Comment

Originally posted by vojoboy
                          Hope it happens! They've flying those hotrods to MAN already so why not fly it to other points in Western Europe.
                          ...they do.

(PS., my screenname's not "onlyboeingifly" cher )

Check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by ConcordeBoy
                            ...they do.

(PS., my screenname's not "onlyboeingifly" cher )
                            hehehe.. I've updated the previous quote
                            adaequatio rei et intellectus

Comment

When I read this, I can only think of how amazing the 757 is. To think that it is not being produced any longer, yet is still key to so many airlines simply amazes me. Also, the fact that they perform so well as is and still haven't reached their full potential astounds me. Long Live the 757!
                              THE VOICE OF REASON HAS SPOKEN!
                              Pop quiz: Which US president said, "Saddam Hussein has spent the better part of this decade, and much of his nation's wealth, not on providing for the Iraqi people, but on developing nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them."
                              George W. Bush is not correct. It was Bill Clinton in his 1998 State of the Union speech. HMMMMMMMMM.

Comment

Working...
                              X