F9 Dropping MSY for good.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F9 Dropping MSY for good.

Frontier Airlines to pull out of New Orleans: The Denver-based low-cost carrier is the first to permanently discontinue service to New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. The airline had planned to resume service, but says conditions following the storm have forced it to change plans. "We just didn't know if the demand between Denver and New Orleans would be great enough in the foreseeable future," Frontier spokesman Joe Hodas tells The Denver Post. Frontier relies largely on leisure passengers to make its New Orleans flights profitable. And, with New Orleans tourism likely to be down for the foreseeable future, the airline said on its website that "it became clear to Frontier that service would not be a viable option in the near future." Still, Hodas adds that flights to New Orleans could be resumed "at some point in the future."
    Not much of a surprise, F9 is already having trouble making money like most other airlines, but their operations rely too much. Shame for New Orleans, good for others.

If they are looking to resume when the leisure market returns, it could be just a matter of a few months.

Look for charter flights if Mardi Gras 2006 in New Orleans gets underground.

Depending on how much reconstruction is complete, New Orleans planners are already working on a big tourism/promotional draw for the holidays of next year. Their big dreams, of course, are to be able to have the French Quarter up and running full steam ahead by next summer.

AA has also pulled New York and Boston to New Orleans, with anticipation to return to a pre Katrina schedule when the market improves.

Comment

hmmmm.......i thought YX also annouced to pull out for good a couple of weeks ago

Midwest Airlines - The Best Care In The Air

Comment

Midwest just suspended the flights, not "pulled out"

Comment

Originally posted by stlgph
          Depending on how much reconstruction is complete, New Orleans planners are already working on a big tourism/promotional draw for the holidays of next year. Their big dreams, of course, are to be able to have the French Quarter up and running full steam ahead by next summer.
          I don't think that anyplace in that city will be "full steam ahead" anywhere in the near future if ever. Just look at mess in the superdome and convention center. That plan sounds like the plan to have everyone back in the city, then Rita came and people had to leave again, and the flooding came back.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisburns
            Shame for New Orleans, good for others.
            Gee...I wonder who "others" might be

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
              Gee...I wonder who "others" might be

NWA, NWA, NWA

UAL, UAL UAL

That is a surprise, AA will reinstate STL-MSY, must be a good business thing for STL iv heard.

Alex
              Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
                I don't think that anyplace in that city will be "full steam ahead" anywhere in the near future if ever. Just look at mess in the superdome and convention center. That plan sounds like the plan to have everyone back in the city, then Rita came and people had to leave again, and the flooding came back.
                The French Quarter, home of Mardi Gras, and 90% of most debauchery, went largely unscathed and is looking to get up and running for the holidays.

I found an STL - New Orleans airfare for $188. I'm tempted to head down there and see what I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by stlgph
                  The French Quarter, home of Mardi Gras, and 90% of most debauchery, went largely unscathed and is looking to get up and running for the holidays.

I found an STL - New Orleans airfare for $188. I'm tempted to head down there and see what I can see.
                  You'll need to rent a hummer to go with that. The French Quater barley got damaged but you have to drive all the way around New Orleans to get it. Also most of I-10 was destroyed so you might as well just get a chopper.

Comment

Originally posted by expoITHscohen
                    You'll need to rent a hummer to go with that. The French Quater barley got damaged but you have to drive all the way around New Orleans to get it. Also most of I-10 was destroyed so you might as well just get a chopper.
                    I am aware. And am always up for an adventure.

Comment

Working...
                    X