Northwest to create a new airline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northwest to create a new airline

Northwest Airlines is considering creating a new regional airline that would fly the carrier's smaller and medium-sized jets.

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune described the potential spinoff carrier as "a Mini-Me (of Northwest) that would operate with lower pilot pay, more flexible work rules and new aircraft."

Northwest's pilots union said it wouldn't necessarily oppose a lower pay scale for pilots at the new carrier, but did say it would likely be against shifting flights to the new carrier that are currently flown by Northwest pilots on mainline service. But Northwest's proposed carrier would not be a discount unit like United's Ted or Delta's Song.

Aviation consultant Douglas Abbey tells the Star-Tribune the new unit could function as a commuter carrier that would help Northwest reduce costs and increase productivity on "low-yield routes" to leisure-oriented destinations such as Phoenix and Florida.

In addition to improving yield (or a measure of revenue) on such routes, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution says the move could also be aimed at helping the carrier reduce debt and improve its bond rating. That could be crucial as the carrier seeks new financing when it's ready to exit Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.
    USA TODAY delivers current national and local news, sports, entertainment, finance, technology, and more through award-winning journalism, photos, and videos.

Could this work? Any possible problems with this plan? What do you guys think about this plan?
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Interesting. It could also be a safety net if they really need some cash (i.e. need to avoid liquidation) down the road. Just sell it off to Mesa or someone similar, get money, but keep the routes through contract flying.

Comment

I guess this is sort of like Air Canada Jazz... but I don't think Jazz is a completely separate airline though

Comment

Originally posted by avro_arrow_25206
        I guess this is sort of like Air Canada Jazz... but I don't think Jazz is a completely separate airline though
        Nor were Tango and Zip!
        Who's on first?..........

Comment

Originally posted by scramjet
          Interesting. It could also be a safety net if they really need some cash (i.e. need to avoid liquidation) down the road. Just sell it off to Mesa or someone similar, get money, but keep the routes through contract flying.
          Like you said, wouldnt it be better if they kept the contract with Mesa ? Is there anything worng with it ? Or Im not that updated on American airline's situations, But if they end up making the new subsidiary, I wish them luck !
          Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

yay...more union screwing. In their contract with the pilots, it says aircraft with more than 70 seats have to be fown by mainline pilots instead of lower paid regional pilots. Somehow this is their way of getting around that...Seriousy, if people aren't gonna follow contracts...do we really need to bother making them anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by canair67
              Nor were Tango and Zip!
              Right, but Tango and Zip were discount carriers, whereas Jazz is a full fare (although that's debatable ) regional airline, which is what I think NW is trying to do.

Comment

NWA and AA have been the only two legacy carriers to NOT make a mini airline, ie SONG, TED, Shuttle by United, Continental Lite, That US Airways 732 airline, Delta Express...

Is NWA finally changing their mind and making a form of LCC , ie, another mini me, as they said? if this is true, AA will be the only standing airline to NOT have done that...so far. (rumor has been they'd use TWA LLC to create this LCC)

Alex
                Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

Originally posted by AA_MD-80@STL
                  That US Airways 732 airline
                  MetroJet?

DeltaRules

http://www.flightlevel350.com/aviati...r=Josh+Sprague

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaRules
                    MetroJet?

DeltaRules
                    ya thats it! lol

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaRules
                      MetroJet?

DeltaRules
                      so metrojet is USAirways' brother that acts really gay, but supposedly isn't really?

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                        so metrojet is USAirways' brother that acts really gay, but supposedly isn't really?

HAHA oh god that was good.

Alex

Comment

MetroJet kicks ass. LOL.
                          Ryan Davis
                          Admin, FlyerGuide.Net
                          www.flyerguide.net

Comment

This was talked about a little bit before. This was proposed last contract, its just a proposal to the pilots.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisburns
                              This was talked about a little bit before. This was proposed last contract, its just a proposal to the pilots.
                              dont you roll your eyes at me! *rolls eyes*

Comment

Working...
                              X