Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wings MD-82 landed at wrong airport (Sep.14-2005)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wings MD-82 landed at wrong airport (Sep.14-2005)

We're actually talking about real jet pilots here, not flying Cessna 172 on VFR. What went wrong???

PADANG, INDONESIA
    Wings MD-82 with 150 pax was cleared to land at Padang's Minangkabau airport, but landed at closed Tabing airport instead. No injuries. The flight took off again and landed at the correct airport. Pilots were suspended by national aviation authorities and order to undergo re-training.

Source:http://www.md80.net/yabbse/index.php...html?PHPSESSID
    Inactive from May 1 2009.

O.M.G! What i mistake!

Comment

It happens sometimes, a NWA flight a couple years ago landed at Rapid City AFB instead of RAP. Approach and Depature is at the Air Force base and apparently they vectored them into the AFB runway instead. The plane landed and the pilots were fired by the FAA for whatever reason. The runways are the exact same at the two airports and only a few miles apart. A TWA flight landed at a very small airport instead of Hayden (Steamboat Springs) back a few years ago, almost about 8 years ago now.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisburns
        It happens sometimes, a NWA flight a couple years ago landed at Rapid City AFB instead of RAP. Approach and Depature is at the Air Force base and apparently they vectored them into the AFB runway instead. The plane landed and the pilots were fired by the FAA for whatever reason.
        Wasnt that the 747-200 or -400 that landed? And the passengers wernt allowed to look out the windows?
        -Kevin

Comment

That used to happen with our Aeroclub 172s every once and a while in Japan. Within about 7 miles of eachother were 3 runways pointed the exact same direction with similar lengths, surroundings, etc

Comment

727-200 Air Charter bound to Eilat/Israel, but landing at Aqaba/Jordan across the bay
            747-300 Egyptair on final to Orly but overshooting at Bretigny airforce test base
            Air Service Gabon Dash 8 bound to Yaoundé-N'simalen (12 miles west of the city) and ending up at Yaoundé-Ville, the old airport surrounded by the city ....
            List can go on ...
            Alain
            Thanks for visiting
            *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
            *JetPhotos*
            Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

I've heard about one with a BAX? DC-8. It landed at a small regional field nearby the airport they should have landed....
              They just made it in on the small runway The departure was performed after the DC-8 was made a light a possible.

Always great to hear these stories.... crazy pilots
              “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

Originally posted by ACman
                Wasnt that the 747-200 or -400 that landed? And the passengers wernt allowed to look out the windows?

not at Rapid City, it was an Airbus A319.

One DC-10 on its way to FRA landed at Brussels instead somehow, not really sure how that worked.

Comment

not at Rapid City, it was an Airbus A319.

One DC-10 on its way to FRA landed at Brussels instead somehow, not really sure how that worked.

i think he was reffering to the TWA one you mentioned and I also recall an incident like that as well.

Alex
                  Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

Originally posted by AA_MD-80@STL
                    i think he was reffering to the TWA one you mentioned and I also recall an incident like that as well.

Alex

No the window thing was because it was on an Air Force Base.... the TWA one didnt have that happen.

Comment

A story of several of these incidents including the NW one in Rapid City.

Comment

Thanks Dave for posting this one, great site, I browsed, I saw, I enlisted
                        Alain
                        Thanks for visiting
                        *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                        *JetPhotos*
                        Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

It happens sometimes, a NWA flight a couple years ago landed at Rapid City AFB instead of RAP. Approach and Depature is at the Air Force base and apparently they vectored them into the AFB runway instead. The plane landed and the pilots were fired by the FAA for whatever reason. The runways are the exact same at the two airports and only a few miles apart. A TWA flight landed at a very small airport instead of Hayden (Steamboat Springs) back a few years ago, almost about 8 years ago now.
                          Why did the pilots get fired, when the ATC is the one who screwed up.?

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
                            Although I can't confirm or deny the firings, the ultimate responsibility for the safe operation of the aircraft comes down to the person sitting in the left seat, regardless of they were told by ATC.
                            Wayne Dippold

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
                              The pilots still have a duty to know where they are and where they are going. ATC is not responsible for their navigation. They should have recognized that they were being vectored to the wrong runway well before they landed. It is the pilots job to get the aircraft where it is supposed to go safely and efficiently, not ATC.

Comment

Working...
                              X