Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding up the negatives

Southwest -

- Requires you to stop everything youre doing EXACTLY 24 hours in advance of flight time, log onto a computer, and get a boarding number - or else be banished to B-Hell

- Does not have the lowest fares any more, US Air beats them often in our market

- Fudged maintenance and this is a big deal to me

- Has the fugliest paint scheme on the fugliest airplanes that ever existed, even braniff's worst excesses werent blue and orange. I mean c'mon, blue and orange ?

- Thwarts comparison shopping by refusing to use Orbitz, Expedia etc

- Has horrendous lines at the airport

Thats a lot of negatives
    ASMEL-IA 1978 A&P-IA 1965 First Aloft 1954 DC-4
    Dad: B-24 Ploesti Self: U205A1 private ops Nam

Comment

Originally posted by HalcyonDays
      I haven't read the whole article, but it's two years old, so many assumptions are already out of date. It also depends on whether you even accept the notion of peak oil and/or when this milestone will occur. The problem for oil is not so much lack of oil, but upstream production capacity and downstream distribution and refining capacity.

That said, make no mistake, the oil price burden is a huge one for transportation in general and for aviation in particular. I think we shall see air fares rise substantially in coming years. Aviation's contribution to greenhouse gases, about 3-4% of the total is small (less than world shipping, for example, which doesn't get the same level of media scrutiny), but that contribution is rising more rapidly in proportionate terms, so the industry will also face higher 'carbon' taxes of varioius sorts, whether we like it or not.

By the way, most airlines are significantly less well hedged against rising oil prices this year, compared with the past 2-3 years. Ironic really, given the rapid uptick in the price this year. This includes Southwest, which in my view is not immune to the industry's problems and its glow will eventually wear off.
      35% of their estimated fuelconsumption at 38 US$/barrel according to the article, thatīs quite good I think? Yes, many things contribute to the oilprice, nowadays 3 times higher than the hedged price.
      "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

Originally posted by Alessandro
        35% of their estimated fuelconsumption at 38 US$/barrel according to the article, thatīs quite good I think?
        Maybe in 2006 when the article was written. I'd be surprised if it was as low as that on average for 2007 and 2008. My rather vague memory recalls an average price of about $65 or so for this year, with very little hedged for 2009.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Jay
            Southwest -
            - Requires you to stop everything youre doing EXACTLY 24 hours in advance of flight time, log onto a computer, and get a boarding number - or else be banished to B-Hell
            Not a requirement, they don't hold you at gun point to do so, and besides, you act like it is a war, simply check in if you can't have someone else do it for you or do it online via your cell phone.

- Does not have the lowest fares any more, US Air beats them often in our market
            Wonder why it's the lowest fare? US Airways has to match WN or go under the fare given by WN to keep their customers. If WN pulled out of the market, US fares would go right up.

I agree, the MX issue is a very big deal, absolutely no argument with that, but be sure you don't ignore the MX issues FAA had with AA and the MD80, US Airways and their "broken" wings on the 757, also the Airbus wiring on the UA planes that caused 2 runway run offs, and also engine issues UA had with their 777's

- Has the fugliest paint scheme on the fugliest airplanes that ever existed, even braniff's worst excesses werent blue and orange. I mean c'mon, blue and orange ?
            Actually BN had an orange 747, and had some blue and such. Blue and Orange are a marketing appeal, Blue and Orange are opposites on the Color Wheel, regardless of the attraction it makes people talk about it, it got you to make a mention on it, so the color scheme is working. Otherwise color scheme is not a reason to not fly an airline.

How is this thwarting comparision? WN does it to save cost and eliminate confusion on reserved tickets. They used to do so and it screwed a lot of passengers. And really HOW does this affect you?

Thats a lot of negatives
            Ticket Lines? Security lines? Honestly, EVERY airline is going to have a day or an hour where the lines is the worst and horrible. This also doesn't make sense.

I try to stay out of WN threads like these because I come off as a cheerleader but your accusations except the MX issues are just ridiculous and an obvious WN bashing at it's best.

Alex
            Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

Have you compared the quarterly earnings releases of those two recently?

Braniff blue:
              [photoid=6009299]

Braniff Orange:
              [photoid=5986173]

Braniff Green-Mustard:
              [photoid=6009300]

Braniff Red-Orange:
              [photoid=6009293]

Braniff, um, "Vomit":
              [photoid=5977856]

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather have WN's blue-orange combo than most of those Braniff variations.

Who doesn't?

Comment

Southwest -

Everyone lands at the same time.

Are you surprised that passengers are willing to pay a little more for better customer service?

Evidently not such a big deal to WN passengers. Bookings are still rising over this time last year.

Two words... Air Florida

Southwest is smart by not having to share any money with those companies too.

The lines might be long but they only take 20 minutes max.

Thats a lot of negatives
                ... to you.
                Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Southwest -

At least it stays on their planes.
                  [photoid=5992079]
                  [photoid=6055191]

Comment

Working...
                  X