F9 Clever Publicity Stunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F9 Clever Publicity Stunt

At Yahoo Finance, you get free stock quotes, up-to-date news, portfolio management resources, international market data, social interaction and mortgage rates that help you manage your financial life.

DENVER, Jan. 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- In a move that shocked many at Frontier Airlines, Flip the Dolphin, one of Frontier's leading spokesmammals, went public with his demand to switch routes from Chicago to any of its seven Mexico destinations. During the press conference, which Flip held on January 8, 2006 on the tarmac at Denver International Airport (DIA), Flip essentially gave Frontier management an ultimatum -- either he goes to Mexico or he resigns.

Historically, the airline has not let its now-famous tail animals make decisions regarding the routes they fly. With 49 aircraft that fly to 54 destinations in the U.S. and Mexico, it would be a difficult challenge to accommodate each animal's request. However, what was originally seen as a "PR stunt" by Flip has become a heated debate, primarily in the carrier's home base of Denver, Colorado. Due to the public nature of the debate and Flip's continued use of multiple media vehicles (www.fliptomexico.com, TV, print, blogs etc.) Frontier felt it was important to address the issue directly to reassure customers, and Flip, that the dolphin is a valued member of the Frontier family.

"First and foremost it is important for everyone to know that we are hearing Flip loud and clear," said Jeff Potter, President and CEO of Frontier. "In addition, we are hearing our customers as well, and we know that there is strong support to see Flip make it Mexico. However, it is important to note that the decision regarding Flip's trip is not just about his desire for warmer weather. We have very specific guidelines and rules regarding Mexico travel and the public needs to know that these factors weigh heavily on the decision -- there's NAFTA regulations, inoculations, work visas ... This is not simply a matter of scheduling or denying Flip's wishes." Frontier spokesman, Joe Hodas added, "This is not the first time that Flip has made such an incredulous demand. And each time, we have given it careful consideration and come to the conclusion that it would be a logistical nightmare. It's just that simple. But, given the very public nature of Flip's campaign for Mexico, we will once again review the facts. However, we can't stress enough that this is not a decision that can be made on a whim, and we cannot let our policies bend to public pressure. We will weigh our options carefully, and hope to reach an agreement that satisfies both Flip and Frontier Airlines. In the meantime, we ask for Flip's patience, as well as the patience of all of Flip's supporters."
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

That sounds downright stupid... It's like an airline ad for 5 year olds.

Comment

To each his own. Personally, I just love this. Flip has always been my favorite of F9s talking animals (along with Larry), and this 'movement' is certainly giving Frontier some nice publicity.

Comment

That's pretty awesome! I never knew that F9 had a troop of talking animals .Is this specific item a commercial or what?
        Cheers Fellas,
        A.M.

Comment

Originally posted by UsAir330
          That's pretty awesome! I never knew that F9 had a troop of talking animals .Is this specific item a commercial or what?
          Cheers Fellas,
          A.M.
          You should visit Frontier's website more often. Over the years, they have produced dozens of spots (though not all are on their site anymore) with all their 'actors', like Flip (Dolphin), Larry (Lynx), Jack (Snowrabbit), Grizwald and Foxy (I'll let you guess the two latter animals yourself ). Always very hilarious.

Comment

hahahahaha, my kind of publicity stunt

Comment

hahahahah thats awesome! I love F9.
              sigpic
              http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
                To each his own. Personally, I just love this. Flip has always been my favorite of F9s talking animals (along with Larry), and this 'movement' is certainly giving Frontier some nice publicity.
                The animal theme with the animals on the tail and the ads with talking animals has been an excellent advertising idea that most people like and remember Frontier for. It has made them unique among the airline industry.
                Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Please send Flip to Mexico, as I'm sure folks are tired of seeing Grizwald in his thong......

Comment

Frontier has possibly the best commercials in the world for the industry.

Comment

Originally posted by srbmod
                      Please send Flip to Mexico, as I'm sure folks are tired of seeing Grizwald in his thong......
                      Noooo, did you have to mention that again .

Flip: "Did he say thong? Please tell me he did not say thong"
                      Larry: "That'll clear the beach."

Comment

Smart move.
                        Good scenario.
                        Aptly targeted audience.
                        = Nice Job
                        Alain
                        Thanks for visiting
                        *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                        *JetPhotos*
                        Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

I signed the petition last week!

Only 1 commercial still on their site:

________
                          REINSURANCE ADVICE

Comment

It's a brilliant ad campaign. Looks like they'll make their "announcement" during the Super Bowl.

Comment

Working...
                            X