WN Considering Moving Headquarters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WN Considering Moving Headquarters

DALLAS, Texas -- Southwest Airlines confirmed Friday night that a half-dozen cities are interested in wooing the airline's corporate headquarters.

A meeting is planned soon with city leaders from Phoenix, NBC 5's Scott Gordon reported.

A Southwest Airlines spokesman insisted that this is no threat, but he said it is tied directly to the Wright Amendment, which restricts flights from Love Field to much of the country. He pointed out that Southwest already has a major operation in Phoenix, home to 4,000 employees. About 3,000 employees work at the airline's headquarters.

The spokesman said that this is not a ploy to help repeal the Wright Amendment. The spokesman said that if the airline considered now where to put its headquarters, Dallas "wouldn't even make the short list."

So far, there has been no reaction from the city of Dallas.

A spokesman for Mayor Laura Miller said she was with her family Friday night and could not be reached.
    Source: http://www.nbc5i.com/news/7420297/detail.html

I sure wouldn't mind living in Phoenix, but I bet USAirways executives would have another opinion.
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Friend and I recently just discussed this and we just cannot see PHX getting it. He explained it best Southwest is a TEXAS Airline, always will be, so you would think SAT or HOU would get it first before PHX.

I do hope SWA makes the best decision in regard to it, and it would be a loss to Dallas if they relocate.

Alex
    Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

Originally posted by AA_MD-80@STL
      Friend and I recently just discussed this and we just cannot see PHX getting it. He explained it best Southwest is a TEXAS Airline, always will be, so you would think SAT or HOU would get it first before PHX.

I do hope SWA makes the best decision in regard to it, and it would be a loss to Dallas if they relocate.

Alex
      I was just surprised they're actually having a meeting with the city. Until now WN has really downplayed any rumors. I hope they address this Monday at the annual "Message to the Field." SAT does not have a maintenance or flight crew base so I would rule that out. I think they would choose where our largest markets are. PHX is a growing city where the cost of living is comparable to Dallas. And it would make sense for a Company called Southwest to be located in the southwest U.S.

Comment

"The spokesman said that if the airline considered now where to put its headquarters, Dallas "wouldn't even make the short list.""

It would be interesting to know the reasons why Dallas wouldn't make the short list. I suspect the reasons are much more than just the Wright Amendment. I would think the reasons include things such as corporation tax rates and corporation costs of having the business based in Dallas, quality of life for the employees (things such as cost of living, commute hassles, etc...).

A friend of mine who works for SWA was transferred from Tulsa to the corporate headquarters in Dallas and has complained about the commute in Dallas and the quality of life there not being as good as it was in Tulsa.
        Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

I could actually see pranks going back and forth between WN and US.

Comment

I didn't think they'd be moving their HQ, but if they're meeting with the city they're probably serious about it.
            sigpic
            http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

For the sake of prosperity, I'll keep the whole "Southwest whining about the Wright Amendment b.s. jargain" out of the thread........only because sometimes the absolute truth is just too absolute.

On the issue of moving the headquarters from Dallas-

Doesn't really matter where the headquarters is. You could put the headquarters in Spokane. What matters is what type of corporate tax breaks and financial incentives can be offered in the public interest. Often times these incentives mean suspension of a city imposed income tax, etc. etc., which can make a big difference to some companies.

In St. Louis, some companies which are just local businesses, regional businesses, or even national, moved out of the city limits to avoid the 1% a year income tax.

At the same time, a company that believes in serving the interest of its employees must also look at cost of living/way of life comparisons. No offense, but a great deal of airline employees don't make runaway salaries, but depending on the time, place, and environment, $25,000 in City F can get you what you can only buy with $250 in City A. This is why nice firms like Ernst & Young exist with their staff of high paid researchers, accountants, and auditors (take note young college bound kids with no idea of what they might wish to study in college!).

Comment

c'mon grand forks!

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                  c'mon grand forks!
                  LMFAO. Can a fully loaded 737-700 land there? I don't remember how long the runway is. I think it can though.
                  THE VOICE OF REASON HAS SPOKEN!
                  Pop quiz: Which US president said, "Saddam Hussein has spent the better part of this decade, and much of his nation's wealth, not on providing for the Iraqi people, but on developing nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them."
                  George W. Bush is not correct. It was Bill Clinton in his 1998 State of the Union speech. HMMMMMMMMM.

Comment

Originally posted by wannabepilot777
                    LMFAO. Can a fully loaded 737-700 land there? I don't remember how long the runway is. I think it can though.
                    Shouldn't be a problem. If a DC-8 can operate from there, the 73G should easily be able to do it. Although, all the costs for deicing 364 out of 365 days each year...

Comment

Originally posted by stlgph
                      For the sake of prosperity, I'll keep the whole "Southwest whining about the Wright Amendment b.s. jargain" out of the thread........only because sometimes the absolute truth is just too absolute.

Doesn't really matter where the headquarters is. You could put the headquarters in Spokane. What matters is what type of corporate tax breaks and financial incentives can be offered in the public interest. Often times these incentives mean suspension of a city imposed income tax, etc. etc., which can make a big difference to some companies.

In St. Louis, some companies which are just local businesses, regional businesses, or even national, moved out of the city limits to avoid the 1% a year income tax.

At the same time, a company that believes in serving the interest of its employees must also look at cost of living/way of life comparisons. No offense, but a great deal of airline employees don't make runaway salaries, but depending on the time, place, and environment, $25,000 in City F can get you what you can only buy with $250 in City A. This is why nice firms like Ernst & Young exist with their staff of high paid researchers, accountants, and auditors (take note young college bound kids with no idea of what they might wish to study in college!).
                      It is the things you said here that I believe would keep Dallas off the short list, not because of the Wright Amendment. It is the things you said here that are things any corporation will look at when they are considering locations for their corporate headquarters.
                      Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Originally posted by stlgph

Don't be confused, PHX is recruiting WN, not the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
                          Shouldn't be a problem. If a DC-8 can operate from there, the 73G should easily be able to do it. Although, all the costs for deicing 364 out of 365 days each year...
                          Screw that. When I spent a week there it was 90 f***ing degrees there with thick, sticky air. Summers in Grand Forks are crappy in the other direction.
                          THE VOICE OF REASON HAS SPOKEN!
                          Pop quiz: Which US president said, "Saddam Hussein has spent the better part of this decade, and much of his nation's wealth, not on providing for the Iraqi people, but on developing nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them."
                          George W. Bush is not correct. It was Bill Clinton in his 1998 State of the Union speech. HMMMMMMMMM.

Comment

Originally posted by PT737SWA
                            Don't be confused, PHX is recruiting WN, not the other way around.
                            No way. Really?

Comment

Originally posted by wannabepilot777
                              Easy, runway is 7,349 ft. They had a 757 come in here during the 90s full of people to help with the flood relief.

Comment

Working...
                              X