Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will it really be scraped soon?

Hello at all,

after browsing another huge aircraftphoto database I found the following pic.
    Das Bild zeigt ein(e) Bombardier CRJ-100ER der Airline Air Littoral mit der Info oder Registrierung N753EB - &copy by Milan Korbar

Exceptionally for me was to read that this plane (ex F-GLIY) and the sistership will be ferried to Opa-Loca/FL for scraping.
    It doesnīt make any sense to me to destroy planes not being older than 11 years. Arenīt there any airlines which are interested to purchase one of them?

Comments are welcome!

Cheers,
    Philipp

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at Planepictures.net
    Click Here to view my aircraft photos at Airliners.net

I doubt it would be scrapped unless maintenence hasn't been held up to par throughout its life. Especially as Bombardier is no longer making the -200 I forsee that somebody out there could use another one.

Comment

Could very well be. The CRJ has been designed for a life of around 10-15 years, and also, it's not like the market isn't flooded with used CRJs anyway *cough*ex-FlyI*cough*.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
        Could very well be. The CRJ has been designed for a life of around 10-15 years, and also, it's not like the market isn't flooded with used CRJs anyway *cough*ex-FlyI*cough*.
        That or its reached its max cycles or airframe time.
        -Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by ACman
          That or its reached its max cycles or airframe time.
          I donīt think so ,anyway it was stored for about 2 years.

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at Planepictures.net
          Click Here to view my aircraft photos at Airliners.net

Comment

Makes you wonder how these planes could be the succes they where. I mean, 15 years is peanuts for planes. There are 60+ year old DC3s still flying commercially, and countless 737s, DC9s and F28s from the year 0 mostly in rather unforgiving conditions too.
            Please visit my website! http://www.schipholspotter.com/

Don't make me use uppercase...

Comment

Even more reason to hate that POS.

Comment

But people want jet service so that is what they get. Probably the sum totol of the parts is worth more than the aircraft, so why not scrap it. I recall seeing another post where ex US Air 734s were being broken up after less than 15 years of flying. I am sure their value was written off with the 15 year lifespan in mind.

Comment

^^Not just 734s, but A320s as well. There were some scrapped after accidents, like the HP plane whose nosegear collapsed at LGA IIRC. The money that the used parts could bring in was more promising than what they'd have to pay to repair the plane. Also, not too long ago, an ex Cyprus Airways A320 was scrapped at Opa Locka, being gutted out from all of its useful parts.

Comment

Some of those 320s are 16+ years old now, and no doubt have a lot of cycles on them.

Comment

Could be especially if
                      -check D proves to be too expensive
                      -residual value of the aircraft make it more sensible to be turned into a source of spares than kept airworthy.
                      Alain
                      Thanks for visiting
                      *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                      *JetPhotos*
                      Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

I saw somewhere that the maintenance program for the CRJ did not go beyond 15 years. The first ones off the line are approaching that age, so unless Bombardier plans on writing a maintenance program that keeps the airplane flying after that, its going to the scrapyard. (Provided the info I got wasn't bullshit...)
                        Bite me Airways.....

Comment

So when did they began scrapping the first versions of the A320-100's.. or even the first one. They must be over 15 years now.. right ?
                          Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

I would imagine Airbus aircraft have a maintenance program that goes beyond 15 years.

When an airplane goes in for an inspection, there is a published list as to what must be accomplished during that inspection. With the CRJ, Bombardier does not publish an inspection schedule for a CRJ that is older than 15 years. That's not to say that it Bombardier couldn't re-write their program to extend the life of the aircraft, but to my knowledge they haven't done this.

The CRJ is basically a "throw away" aircraft in that it is not airworthy after its 15 years old. Not sure if Embraer did something similar with the 145, but given the purchase price of these types of aircraft it wouldn't surprise me.
                            Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Wow, it's had to believe the age of some of the A320s out there. I guess it's because they all look the same. In the 737 design, you can see the advance of the aircraft over the different versions, and gain a greater perspective of the age of the aircraft by just looking at it. I wonder if the older A320s will find homes like the 737Classics did. I mean, in the future, will we be seeing old A320s popping up in places like Africa and other countries where new aircraft are not an option?
                              Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Working...
                              X