Ford names Boeing's Alan Mulally as CEO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford names Boeing's Alan Mulally as CEO

Struggling US auto giant Ford Motor Co. announced it was naming former Boeing executive Alan Mulally as its new president and chief executive, with family heir Bill Ford keeping the post of executive chairman.

Mulally, 61, has been president and chief executive officer of Boeing Commercial Airplanes since 2001.

"Mulally led the turnaround of the commercial airplane division of The Boeing Company," the US automaker said in a statement.

"He has a record of success in customer satisfaction, manufacturing, product development, labor relations and supplier management."

The company statement said Bill Ford, who had been holding the dual position of chairman as well as chief executive since 2001, will remain executive chairman and "will concentrate efforts on strategic repositioning of Ford Motor Company."

"Let me assure you: I'm not going anywhere," Bill Ford wrote in an e-mail to Ford employees.

"As executive chairman, I intend to remain extremely active in the direction of this company. I'll be here every day and I will not rest until a prosperous future for this company is secured."

The move came as Ford was moving to accelerate its turnaround in the face of widening losses and declining sales in the US market.

Bill Ford said in his e-mail that the turnaround effort "required the additional skills of an executive who has led a major manufacturing enterprise through such challenges before."

Mulally "also has the personality and team-building skills that will help guide our company in the right direction," Bill Ford said.

"Clearly, the challenges Boeing faced in recent years have many parallels to our own."

Mulally, a Boeing veteran of 37 years, said he looked forward to the challenge of helping Ford regain its former luster.

Too bad Boeing screwed him and hired that ellitest ass to take over as CEO instead of promoting him.

Best of luck to him, hes a great business man and a good person. I think he might just save Ford.
    THE VOICE OF REASON HAS SPOKEN!
    Pop quiz: Which US president said, "Saddam Hussein has spent the better part of this decade, and much of his nation's wealth, not on providing for the Iraqi people, but on developing nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them."
    George W. Bush is not correct. It was Bill Clinton in his 1998 State of the Union speech. HMMMMMMMMM.

Comment

Having a good leader is a positive step, but no one person can solve all the major underlying issues at Ford. He needs to get the right strategic plan and get people in there who will implement the plan. The good 'ol boys' plan suxors.

1 - Perceived and in some cases, realized lower reliability compared to other US auto makers and especially foreign companies (F-O-R-D doesn't have a million different humorous acronyms for nothing )
      2 - Insistence on utilizing a business plan that simply does not work well in the contemporary market
      3 - One of the most important and detrimental to ANY company - negative or generally unfavorable image in the eyes of a good chunck of general public
      4 - Still doesn't understand the synergy between a vehicle's attractiveness, reliability, efficiency and value
      So on and so forth.

Sorry - not trying to hijack the thread. I just have major problems with just about all the US auto companies. They dug their own holes and I really don't feel much pity for them. I like Mullaly and I also hope he can steer the company to a "new" Ford. He brings a lot to table in terms of planning and leadership. I just hope Boeing's choice not to promote him to CEO doesn't come back to bite them in the arse (at least not too bad).
      Bama sux, War Eagle!

Comment

Looks surprising as Mr Mullaly is not a "motor-head" unlike former CEOs Jacques Nasser, Lee Iaccocca and Alex Trautmann together with Renault's today Carlos Ghosn, who had been actively courted by Bill Ford. Mr Ghosn turned down the offer by claiming a lack of complete freedom in terms of decision making. The appointement of Mr Mullaly shows from the outset how Ford's position can be accute and will surely be intersting to monitor how much freedom he will be awarded to do the job.
        Alain
        Thanks for visiting
        *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
        *JetPhotos*
        Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Wonder which production line he will shutdown first?

Michael
          Dacman
          LAX/LGB Local
          What? I didn't see a "No Airliner Photography Allowed" sign!

Comment

Wonder which will be the 16 US based production sites slated for closure. Ford also reports to be set for a product range streamlining focused on cars, but still vows in keeping Jaguar.
            Alain
            Thanks for visiting
            *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
            *JetPhotos*
            Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

One thing's for sure: With all the money he'll be raking in, he can't lose, even if his reorg plan for Ford fails.

Comment

Working...
              X