Aeroflot yet again postpones fleet decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aeroflot yet again postpones fleet decision

MOSCOW, Sept 15 (Reuters) - Russian flag carrier Aeroflot (AFLT.MM: Quote, Profile, Research) on Friday postponed indefinitely its decision on a $3 billion order for 22 long-haul airplanes for which U.S. aviation giant Boeing (BA.N: Quote, Profile, Research) competes with European rival Airbus(EAD.PA: Quote, Profile, Research).

"The date of the new board meeting is not set yet. The final decision is being put off," Aeroflot's Deputy Director General Lev Koshlyakov told Reuters.
    If this qualify as aviation's longest "Neverending story", I don't know what will .

At least they will be confident in their dedcision, whenever it's finally made.
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

I think the Air India saga of a couple years back has them beat. India has a world-class bureacracy.

Comment

Hmm...Aeroflot might be playing a little game with the two aviation gigants. I'm not sure which airplanes are competing, but I guess it's the 787 and the A350. Both of them are not yet built. Aeroflot does not want to buy a surprise, so they actually might wait till the planes are finished. As we all know, the 787 was ordered by a large number of airlines, but if the airplane fails Boeing will have to pay huge money. I'm not saying that Dreamliner is a bad project, but buying (or ordering an airlnae) that is still not finished or even started is not very smart. Also Aeroflot will probably decide on A350, as i don't think Russians will like to support US's aviation concern (even thou they use 767s). I would say that Aeroflot will not decide until 2007 or even later.

Comment

The only problem is that at the same time officials at SU are whining that they need more capacity now and not from 2010 on, and that they want the new planes asap, with the keyword being "NEW", not used. I don't know whether SU has 2 BOD's or whether they are all OD'ing on vodka, but it is simply ridiculous.
          And as a side, I take the liberty to quote Ben Jones off FleetBuzz, who provides us with an excellent overview of SU's news releases of this saga over the last years.
          Topic:

List:
          October 18th 2004, "Aeroflot eyes up 7E7 as 777 replacement"
          October 28th 2005, "Aeroflot to choose between A350 and 787 next week"
          December 7th 2005, "Aeroflot to buy 22, maybe 28, Boeing aircraft "
          January 5th 2006, "Aeroflot leans towards Boeing 787 selection"
          January 13th 2006, "Aeroflot has decided to order tha A350 instead of the 787"
          February 16th 2006, "Airbus resubmits Aeroflot RFP with extra price reductions"
          March 8th 2006, "Boeing To Conclude Plane Deal With Aeroflot"
          March 17th 2006, "Decision on Plane Deal Postponed"
          May 7th 2006, "Russian flagship airline Aeroflot is to buy planes from Europe's Airbus instead of US-based Boeing"
          June 6th 2006, "Aeroflot Delays $3 Billion Jet Tender, Citing Airbus Redesign "
          June 7th 2006, "Aeroflot May Drop $3 Bln Plan for Jets If Import Taxes Not Cut "
          June 14th 2006, "Aeroflot Sees a Possible Airbus Delay, Split Order With Boeing"
          July 12th 2006, "U.S., Russia aim to have trade deal by weekend"
          August 1st 2006, "Aeroflot awaits A350 XWB offer"
          September 12th 2006, "Aeroflot may double and split order"
          September 14th 2006, "Purchase of Boeing 787s Will Be Authorized"

Comment

Old established bad habits are the most resilient ... Some top brass execs may still think as their forerunners did 40+ years ago
            Alain
            Thanks for visiting
            *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
            *JetPhotos*
            Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Working...
            X