Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American airport staff almost stopped HP's author JK Rowling from...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American airport staff almost stopped HP's author JK Rowling from...

........ boarding a flight because she would not part with the manuscript for the final book.

JK Rowling insisted on carrying
    her manuscript on to her flight

Rowling was not prepared to stow her top secret notes for book number seven in her check-in baggage when she flew back from a book festival in August.

Eventually she was allowed to take them on the flight, bound in elastic bands.

Air passengers recently faced baggage restrictions following the discovery of an alleged plot to blow up airliners.

The writer said she would have considered sailing back to the UK if security officers had not relented.

Her seventh Harry Potter book is to be the last in the hugely popular series.

Handwritten notes

The author was returning from New York where she took part in a charity book reading with fellow authors Stephen King and John Irving.

She wrote on her website: "The heightened security restrictions on the airlines made the journey back from New York interesting, as I refused to be parted from the manuscript of book seven.

"A large part of it is handwritten and there was no copy of anything I had done while in the US.

"They let me take it on thankfully, bound up in elastic bands. I don't know what I would have done if they hadn't - sailed home probably."

More of it here : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/5344472.stm

-----------------------------------
    No sh1tting around. I would refuse to fly off also if I was an author to Harry Potter, and it mistaken "vanished" during boarding or somebody stole it. LoL. How Rude..
    Inactive from May 1 2009.

Re:

Huh, you can't even take a manuscript on board with you? That's seems absurd to me.

Foxtrot

Comment

It's got dried ink on it which at one point was a liquid. And we just can't allow that on an aircraft. It's a security risk.

Comment

If the rules are there, then they should be followed! Even if she is one of the richest and well known people in the world.

Airport security shouldn't have backed down to her!
        Regards

Scott

Comment

If the rules are there, then they should be followed! Even if she is one of the richest and well known people in the world.

With the amount of security/legality/secrecy surrounding that manuscript, it is I would reckon better guarded than the White House, and you're not going to let the president sit alone in the cargo hold are you?

So yeah, they didn't back down because just she was rich and famous. Hopefully they backed down because they saw reason.
          "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Air passengers recently faced baggage restrictions following the discovery of an alleged plot to blow up airliners.
            What!?

No $hit!

Comment

Originally posted by Benyhone

Dont talk twaddle its an A4 pad with writing on what was she going to give em all paper cuts till they crashed it lol

Comment

The rules are there for a reason. If there's rules in place, they shouldn't be broken. 99.9% she's not likely to blow the plane up, but, like the article said, she would've sailed back to the UK, so why not just do that...

That's my opinion, obviously you'll all have different views.
                Regards

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Benyhone
                  The rules are there for a reason. If there's rules in place, they shouldn't be broken. 99.9% she's not likely to blow the plane up, but, like the article said, she would've sailed back to the UK, so why not just do that...

That's my opinion, obviously you'll all have different views.
                  What ever happened to the "documents has to be put in a transparent bag" when all this started back a few weeks ago.. ?? Isn't due anymore...?? I mean they could've atleast offered this to her, shouldnt they ? :rolleyes:
                  Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

So when is the book coming out? Years from now?

Comment

In the "Kiss-and-Diss" game she could have initiated, some would have won the Diss even without registering
                      Alain
                      Thanks for visiting
                      *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                      *JetPhotos*
                      Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcenter
                        So when is the book coming out? Years from now?
                        Year from now...in the singular.
                        "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
                          It's got dried ink on it which at one point was a liquid. And we just can't allow that on an aircraft. It's a security risk.
                          Christ, get of the TSA's back! Of course there is no risk from dried ink. The paper could have been explosive.

Comment

Hahaha! Here's what she was hiding!!!!

Brokeback potter!

Nah, just kidding. I saw about this whole debacle another website. I then gave it alot of thought and it did make sense. If she had parted with the manuscript it could be worth millions.
                            Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818
                              Hahaha! Here's what she was hiding!!!!

Brokeback potter!

Nah, just kidding. I saw about this whole debacle another website. I then gave it alot of thought and it did make sense. If she had parted with the manuscript it could be worth millions.
                              There are Livejournal, Facebook, and MySpace groups devoted to finding clues that Potter and Malfoy are dating. Rowling isn't stupid enough to part with her manuscript; she won't be stupid enough to put something this absurd in it.

I bet some guys on these boards would go but the movie if it were true though.

Comment

Working...
                              X