Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qantas to test/allow cell-phones in flight...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qantas to test/allow cell-phones in flight...

Qantas Airways said it would introduce new technology early next year that will enable customers to send and receive e-mails, text messages and make calls on mobile phones or personal electronic devices. The evaluation will be conducted in the first quarter of 2007 during a three-month trial on Australian domestic routes operated with Boeing 767 aircraft.

"With an increase in business travel, Qantas is committed to investing in products aimed at improving a customer's ability to stay connected inflight," said Wally R. Mariani, senior executive vice president, Qantas Airways, The Americas and Pacific. "Known as an innovative airline always abreast of new technologies, Qantas will be one of the first carriers in the world to offer this service," he added.

Dedicated to improving the overall quality of travel, Qantas business travelers were surveyed about the concept in an effort to gauge a level of interest for such a service. An overwhelming majority felt the service was a good idea, particularly pertaining to e-mail access, and when asked about the benefits, the main reasons identified were 'an effective use of time' and the 'ability to be contacted' at any given time, as a flight for many has become an integral part of the business day.

"This is the first step towards developing a product that will support our travelers' business and communications needs into the future," said Mariani. "We will actively seek feedback from our passengers so we can ensure that all travelers' preferences are carefully considered prior to introducing this type of service," he added.

Qantas teamed with Telstra, Panasonic Avionics Corporation and AeroMobile for the trial to develop a solution to permit wireless devices to be used safely in-flight. Calls are made and received through a Picocell, a smaller version of a ground mobile cellular base station equipped for use in the air, and pass through a satellite link before reaching the ground network.

The service will be simple for travelers to use and available once the aircraft has reached a cruising altitude. Passengers wanting to make or receive a call or SMS require only a GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) phone and a global roaming account. While customers wanting to send or receive e-mails would need a GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) enabled device or an appropriately equipped laptop.

Qantas and its partners were working with the Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA), Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) and other agencies to ensure the system operates in accordance with Australian regulatory and legal requirements.

http://www.wirelessiq.com/content/newsfeed/8252.html
    Oh great!!! I can only imagine that this sickening 'trend' will soon become an industry standard. Preety soon, I'll be starting a thread about the "good ol' glory days when aircraft and travelling was quite."
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

BOOOO !!! Another future prefered airline for the compulsive "communicators" ...
    Alain
    Thanks for visiting
    *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
    *JetPhotos*
    Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Oh great. I hope they NEVER do this in the States.

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
        Oh great. I hope they NEVER do this in the States.
        Your domestic jets mostly have phone systems installed....it won't happen as long as those deals are tied up.

The protocol to stop people using them for hours on end will have to be a good one. Only six users will be able to access the network at any time and the F/As will be able to switch it off at night etc.

Comment

I don't have a problem with it as long as you're quiet. If you are loud and have some obnoxious laugh, then I'd hope the FA would come, grab the phone out of your hand, and throw it down the isle. It'd be one of the funniest thing ever haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Crism
            I don't have a problem with it as long as you're quiet. If you are loud and have some obnoxious laugh, then I'd hope the FA would come, grab the phone out of your hand, and throw it down the isle. It'd be one of the funniest thing ever haha.
            I've yet to see one person on a cell phone that WASN'T loud and had an obnoxious laugh.
            And don't get me started on the earpiece things. Everytime I see someone talking with one I think it's a schizophrenic in a business suit.

Comment

It can't be worse than the in-seat phones. I was on my way to LHR and the guy beside me talked a good 5 hours on the phone.

Comment

Oh great, I hope this trend doesn't reach the U.S.
                sigpic
                http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by ptbodale
                  It can't be worse than the in-seat phones. I was on my way to LHR and the guy beside me talked a good 5 hours on the phone.
                  That guy musta been loaded, those things are expensive as hell.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                    FOR REAL! I remember that once I heard that it was the most costly phone usage in the world. Anyway, the airlines have been ensuring our comfort for decades by making those in-flight phones soo expensive. I mean, that is actually the longest that I have ever heard of someone using those phones. I remember that the only time that I used to use them was back in the day when I had this promo pass given to AA members working out of DFW and they were good for something like 8 hours of usage. But I would never have used them if I had to pay for them myself. If they make the cell phones are as expensive to use as the regular phones (as in the case that the airline sharges a surcharge for access to the aircraft's antannae/dish and make the call) then it will be well worth it.

BTW, I know that LH (or maybe it was KLM) that offered Internet usage (connexion) on some flights. How was it controlled? Could any and everybody use it? Or was it only offered to certain passengers? Or did you have to pay a surcharge?
                    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                      He just plugged in his credit card and talked away. I wasn't impressed.

Comment

I would have loved to see the look on his face when he got the bill.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ
                          Your domestic jets mostly have phone systems installed....it won't happen as long as those deals are tied up.
                          You haven't flown in the US alot in recent years, right ? Those phone systems are on their way out at most airlines, and already gone from at least 3/4 of the major carrier's fleets, if not more. After all, you need that space for PTV screens .

Comment

Originally posted by AJ

The protocol to stop people using them for hours on end will have to be a good one. Only six users will be able to access the network at any time and the F/As will be able to switch it off at night etc.
                            As a matter of fact, first phones were made avialable on US based airliners.
                            Alain
                            Thanks for visiting
                            *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                            *JetPhotos*
                            Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

True, it's been a year, probably the flood of TV images here regarding Spet 11 that reminded me of them.

Half the issue with mobile phone usage is multiple cell usage causing billing issues. At the RFDS it caused Telstra problems if we used the aircraft mobile at high altitude as it would transmit to multiple antennas and stuff their billing system!

Comment

Working...
                              X