Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-Missile Stystems on FedEx MD-11s

Flying the not so friendly skies

FedEx is doing more than just delivering packages around the world at a breakneck pace; they're also going to put into service a counter terrorist missile system on its MD-10 freighters. FedEx will equip 11 of its MD-10 freighters over the next 18 months with Northrop Grumman's Guardian directed infrared countermeasures (DIRCM) technology.

The move is a part of the Department of Homeland Security's $109 million feasibility study to see if the military-developed technology is cost-effective for commercial applications. The Guardian anti-missile system was developed to counter attacks from man-portable air defense systems (Manpads) which have resulted in the downing of over 40 airplanes and loss of over 400 lives since the 1970s.
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Picking up Fedex as a full scale level will help refining the system and allow round the clock work as freight doesn't speak.
    Alain
    Thanks for visiting
    *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
    *JetPhotos*
    Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Oh great, now prices will go to even far more rediculous prices.

Screw Fedex, UPS, DHL, etc., ship USPS
      You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

Originally posted by ASpilot2be
        Oh great, now prices will go to even far more rediculous prices.

Screw Fedex, UPS, DHL, etc., ship USPS
        From the article:
        The company says the cost per available seat mile is 0.003 cents, or about 70 cents per passenger for a transcontinental flight.
        Pretty cheap price for safety if you ask me.
        Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Now you will be able to send you mail over-night, and missile safe.

http://www.youtube.com/DC3Vette - playing guitar

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingPhotog
            From the article: Pretty cheap price for safety if you ask me.
            From the article:
            Quote:
            The company says the cost per available seat mile is 0.003 cents, or about 70 cents per passenger for a transcontinental flight.
            especially if you consider how many seats are on the Fedex fleet

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingPhotog
              From the article: Pretty cheap price for safety if you ask me.
              I agree, but knowing Fedex, they will raise prices even more for people in Alaska.
              You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

Has anyone even tested this thing to see if it works?

I'd like to see a test similar to that when they crashed a radio cotrolled 707 to see what happens inside. Just this time have a missle fired at the radio controlled aircraft. Until that's done, how can we know that this system will work when it counts. Would suck if airlines pay $1,000,000 and then come to find out the system doesn't work.

Comment

Im pretty sure they've tested it...it's the same system they use with fighter jets am I wrong?
                  Tanner Johnson - Owner
                  twenty53 Photography

Comment

I knew it was only a matter of time before we tested this out on airliners. At the moment, I doubt that these things will be installed on actual U.S. passanger aircraft in the near feature. But this, of course, is completely dependant on what threats/attempts may pop up as time goes on.
                    sigpic
                    http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Working...
                    X