• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bmi to introduce new 'lie flat' seats in business class

Below is the press release regarding these new seats:

bmi chairman announces introduction of lie-flat beds to A330 fleet

release date: 19/09/2006

- visit marks first anniversary of burgeoning London Heathrow-Riyadh route

Sir Michael Bishop, chairman of bmi, today announced during a visit to Saudi Arabia that lie-flat beds are to be introduced to the business class cabin on all of the airline’s long haul routes.

From next June, bmi’s award-winning ‘the business’ cabin on its entire fleet of Airbus A330 aircraft will feature electronically-adjustable lie-flat beds, with a generous 80 inch seat pitch.

Sir Michael is visiting Riyadh and Jeddah to meet with His Royal Highness Prince Sultan bin Salman, Secretary General of the Supreme Commission for Tourism, as well as government, tourism and business representatives. He is also guest of honour at a dinner being hosted by the British Ambassador Sir Sherard Cowper Coles.

Sir Michael said: “The route between London Heathrow and Riyadh has achieved significant success and is moving into profitability. Thanks to this, and the tremendous ongoing support we have enjoyed, we were able to start the service to Jeddah earlier this year which is experiencing similar success.

“We are proud and delighted to be the only British carrier serving Saudi Arabia and are confident that our investment in the introduction of lie-flat beds will create further demand and growth on these routes.

“We will also be reintroducing the A330 onto our Riyadh and Jeddah routes from next Spring.”

The introduction of lie-flat beds represents an investment of £2 million for bmi.

The suppliers of the seats are aviointeriors of Italy and the interior bmi intend to use is:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I feel that this is finally a great move by bmi, and will only further improve the C class service.

My only concern is that they say the RUH/JED route will get an A330 by the Spring with a different configuration to the remaining fleet (with 42 C seats not 30). So my question is where will this A330 come from?? The A330 that EK are leasing (apparently own now) is nowhere to be seen so the only solution would be for bmi to remove LAS/BGI/ANU from their schedules and for VS to take them up.
    E-Mail Me - My Photo's - My Photographer Profile

Glad to see bmi are experiencing success with these routes, will these new seats reduce the total amount of seats which are currently in business class?

Why are economy, business and first class known as C, Y and F class in some places?
    DTVAirport

Comment

Originally posted by bapilot2b
      My only concern is that they say the RUH/JED route will get an A330 by the Spring with a different configuration to the remaining fleet (with 42 C seats not 30). So my question is where will this A330 come from?? The A330 that EK are leasing (apparently own now) is nowhere to be seen so the only solution would be for bmi to remove LAS/BGI/ANU from their schedules and for VS to take them up.
      Completely agree!
      Apparantly BD are doing very well on the LAS route- it will be a pity to see it dropped - another nail in the coffin for MAN... BMI could have made it really work but they cried wolf and decided, like our national carrier, that LHR is the centre of the universe. The only other option is getting the 767 (doesnt the lease run out in April?)
      However, i think it is strange that one of the 332's is going to have a different configuration- i think it will cause major headaches!

I just hope they are getting a new 332!

Squeaky
      "It's a gift...and a curse" (Adrian Monk)

Next Flights:-
      EMA-PRG Easyjet
      PRG-EMA Easyjet

Comment

Well BMI out of LAS will be a boon for another airline which will quickly fill the gap.
        Looks they are under pressure to accomodate passengers by operating an aircraft with a wholly different configuration.
        Alain
        Thanks for visiting
        *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
        *JetPhotos*
        Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Working...
        X