Frontier and Horizon to end cooperation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frontier and Horizon to end cooperation

At Yahoo Finance, you get free stock quotes, up-to-date news, portfolio management resources, international market data, social interaction and mortgage rates that help you manage your financial life.

SEATTLE & DENVER, September 20 /CNW/ - Horizon Air and Frontier Airlines (NASDAQ:FRNT - News) announced today plans to amend their 12-year contract. Horizon, which has been operating nine CRJ-700 regional jets (RJs) as Frontier JetExpress since January 2004, will begin returning its 70-seat aircraft to current and new routes throughout Horizon's West Coast network as the two airlines conclude the contract. The details of the return timeline are still in negotiation as both airlines work to ensure a mutually beneficial schedule.

Today's announcement follows Frontier's recent news that it is seeking to grow its RJ fleet from the current nine aircraft to up to 20 RJs. In reviewing the subsequent request-for-proposal (RFP) issued by Frontier, Horizon concluded that the investment in the additional aircraft needed to support Frontier JetExpress's expansion would compete for capital that could be invested in growing the Horizon Air/Alaska Airlines network, and that the nine aircraft assigned to JetExpress are needed to support Horizon's current network and planned growth within its service territory.
    Surprising move, though this means these services are now up for grabs for other carriers. At least we know it won't be Mesa replacing them, due to their past cooperation with Frontier.

this isn't too surprising since F9 said they need 20+ CRJs which QX can't provide. it wouldn't make sense for F9 to use providers for the F9x operation, so i'll put money on skywest getting the contract. republic is also rumored to be a contender.
    this actually works well for QX since they're losing 16 DH8s to commutair. my assumption is the soon to be ex-F9x CRJs will replace some DH4s so the DH4s can cover some vacated DH8 routes.
    hopefully all DEN QX employees were aware of the possible ammendment after 3 yrs of the 12 yr contract and didn't establish roots in DEN.
    www.airplanegeek.com

I'm looking for anything and everything Air 21 related

Comment

Didn't expect this, after seeing that they would aquire Dash-8s for F9. I was looking forward to seeing the Dash-8s in DEN. But oh well, so do you think F9 will find another regional partner?
      sigpic
      http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
        Didn't expect this, after seeing that they would aquire Dash-8s for F9. I was looking forward to seeing the Dash-8s in DEN. But oh well, so do you think F9 will find another regional partner?
        didn't they just start their own thingy?

Comment

That is surprising. Although, getting QXs RJs back certainly wont hurt things for them.
          You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

Looks surprising but perhaps not so. I figure then setting up a dedicated profit center for the ordered Dash8-Q400s to avoid doing with another franchisee.
            Alain
            Thanks for visiting
            *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
            *JetPhotos*
            Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Working...
            X