Lufthansa orders 5 A330s, 30 A32Xs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lufthansa orders 5 A330s, 30 A32Xs

FRANKFURT, Sept 20 (Reuters) - Germany's Deutsche Lufthansa (LHAG.DE: Quote, Profile, Research) said it is ordering five Airbus (EAD.PA: Quote, Profile, Research) A330s for delivery in the next two years to plug a gap as it waits for its delayed A380s.

The airline also said it was buying five A319s, 10 A320s and 15 A321s to expand its short-haul fleet, with options for a further 30 A320-family planes.
    Anyone willing to bet whether LH will actually have to pay for those A330s ?

This is great news for Airbus.

I wonder if this is the beginning of the end of LH's B737 fleet.

Regards.
    TAP - Transportes Aéreos Portugueses

Voe mais alto. Fly higher.

www.flytap.com

Comment

Not yet, the A320s will be used for expansion, after their €99 starting fares for non-FRA/MUC flights proved to be a real top-seller, especially from HAM.

Comment

Right, but how many more years can the ageing B737's stay with LH?

Cheers.

www.flytap.com

Comment

A330-200 or A330-300?

Will install PTV?

Comment

I wonder how many of those planes LH will be getting for free (or for the veyr least - dirt cheap)? I mean, EADS must be giving them this just to pacify them over the whole A380 debacle...
            Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by TAP-A343

Cheers.

Well its American built aircraft, so probably another 20-30 years. The DC-9 is flying, and some NW A320's have been scrapped, funny thing was the crew flew home on an NW DC-9. The DC-9 still has about 6 more years of flying!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pbateson
                A330-200 or A330-300?
                Considering that LH is disposing of the few A332's in their fleet, I would guess that it's the -300X. But as long as they're powered by RR Trents, I'm not too bothered.
                DTVAirport

Comment

Originally posted by TAP-A343

Cheers.
                  Lufthansa is globally known for their excellent maintenance, so as long as they keep theirs 737s in excellent condition as they always do, they could as well keep them around until the next generation of narrowbodies comes out from 2013-2015 on. Noise restrictions implemented by the EU could be more of a problem than the actual age of the planes.

Originally posted by AA 1818
                  I wonder how many of those planes LH will be getting for free (or for the veyr least - dirt cheap)? I mean, EADS must be giving them this just to pacify them over the whole A380 debacle...
                  It is believed that the A320s were bought at the standard discount prices, and that the A330s are just a bonus, similar to SQ's recent A330 "order". Of course, we'll never know because EADS/Airbus sure as hell won't make the prices public.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisburns
                    Well its American built aircraft, so probably another 20-30 years. The DC-9 is flying, and some NW A320's have been scrapped, funny thing was the crew flew home on an NW DC-9. The DC-9 still has about 6 more years of flying!!!!
                    Very funny but LH doesn't fly antiques like NW does.

Originally posted by AA 1818
                    I think that LH won't get the A330's for free but heavily discounted, however, I believe that for Airbus even turning a small profit with A330's is good enough just to keep the A330/A340 line busy.

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
                    Lufthansa is globally known for their excellent maintenance, so as long as they keep theirs 737s in excellent condition as they always do, they could as well keep them around until the next generation of narrowbodies comes out from 2013-2015 on. Noise restrictions implemented by the EU could be more of a problem than the actual age of the planes.
                    Indeed, I flew on a LH's B733 and a B735 last year and they were in good condition as always with any LH aircraft, however, they show their age compared to their A32S's counterparts.

I'm sure LH Technik can keep those B733's and B735's flying for several more years but considering that their average age is 15+ years, I wonder if it would be economical for LH to keep those planes for more 7-9 years, not to mention the marketing issue of the overall average fleet age.

Regards.

www.flytap.com

Comment

I would not be surprised LH would start disposing of some 733s/735s by selling them with the established 20 % premium over book value as a bonus for the buyer.
                      Luring otherwise frustrated airlines into ordering 330s is not a bad idea either. It makes more sense for a manufacturer to throw in aircrafts at a song than writting cheques. The "free" aircrafts can be figured as both an additional selling point and a long term investment. I am sure Boeing may watch this one closely, just in case of.
                      Alain
                      Thanks for visiting
                      *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                      *JetPhotos*
                      Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Working...
                      X