Smoking on an Acft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking on an Acft

A little while ago the question was asked what would happen if you smoked on an acft. Here is what Singapore did to a Brisbane lady.

Aussie jailed for smoking on plane
    Steve Creedy, (Aviation writer The Australian)
    September 20, 2006
    A CRAVING for a cigarette has landed a Brisbane businesswoman in jail after she was caught smoking on a Singapore Airlines flight. Sandhi Alexandra Nathan, 42, was jailed after she was unable to pay a fine of more than $2500 imposed by a Singapore court.

"We are aware of an Australian woman who was caught smoking in a public place," a spokeswoman for the Department of Foreign Affairs said last night. "She has been detained and consular officials are assisting her and her family." Singapore Airlines confirmed yesterday that Ms Nathan was arrested last Thursday after a flight attendant caught her smoking in a toilet on a flight from Dubai.

Airline spokesman Stephen Forshaw said the incident prompted a police search of the aircraft, which was directed to a remote stand after it landed.
    Mr Forshaw said the incident underscored the seriousness with which authorities viewed their no smoking rules. The Straits Times newspaper reported that Ms Nathan went to the toilet early in the morning to touch up her make-up. It said said her hurried movements as she left the toilet attracted the attention of a flight attendant, who smelled burning and found a cigarette butt in a bin.

Ms Nathan claimed in court that she had a habit of lighting up whenever she applied her make-up. "Without thinking, I lit the cigarette, and when I realised it, I panicked and tried to stub it out. I did not start a fire, it was only the embers that were causing the smoke," she said. But judge Danielle Yeow was unimpressed and fined Ms Nathan S$3000 ($2514).

"It was fortunate that it was detected and nothing untoward happened," she told Ms Nathan. "You should know this was potentially dangerous ... and you should be careful not to repeat this on any aircraft."

There you go.

"It was fortunate that it was detected and nothing untoward happened," she told Ms Nathan. "You should know this was potentially dangerous"
    How's that, did she also have a bottle of water on her . Dangerous yeah right, so all those planes full of smokers in the 80's must have been flying deathtraps.
    Now, leaving this dumb argumentation aside, I agree with punishment. The $2500 penalty is more or less standard around the globe, and if you can't pay it, you must face the consequences.

Comment

Working...
    X