Official Embry-Riddle Daytona support thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chrisburns
    Embry has before when a hurricane is expected to come.
    Chris, when was the last time anyone had a 72 hour warning in advance of a tornado?

Likely by the time the tornado warning was issued (typically 15 minutes warning at most) there would be no time to do anything to the planes.

Embry had planes in hangars. The hangars collapsed and destroyed the planes inside as well.

I would love to see your reaction if a tornado hit and destroyed all of UND's aircraft at GFK. Not out of the question, certainly, given ND's spring and summer weather.

Anyways, I suppose that you felt the same way when the city of Grand Forks flooded and burned down a few years ago? After all, it was their fault for not building the city in a flood-proof bunker to protect itself. Same thing with New Orleans and Katrina. And Oklahoma City and that F5 that destroyed a large portion of it in 1999.

Honestly Chris, I thought that UND would teach you these things, but I guess you can't teach common sense.
    Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Originally posted by herpa2003
      Chris, when was the last time anyone had a 72 hour warning in advance of a tornado?

Likely by the time the tornado warning was issued (typically 15 minutes warning at most) there would be no time to do anything to the planes.

Embry had planes in hangars. The hangars collapsed and destroyed the planes inside as well.

I would love to see your reaction if a tornado hit and destroyed all of UND's aircraft at GFK. Not out of the question, certainly, given ND's spring and summer weather.

Anyways, I suppose that you felt the same way when the city of Grand Forks flooded and burned down a few years ago? After all, it was their fault for not building the city in a flood-proof bunker to protect itself. Same thing with New Orleans and Katrina. And Oklahoma City and that F5 that destroyed a large portion of it in 1999.

Honestly Chris, I thought that UND would teach you these things, but I guess you can't teach common sense.

1. I didn't say they had time, he asked about if they could fly planes out. Read everything before you reply.

2. Yes it was GFK's fault for not having some sort of protection, since water levels had been up high before almost to 1997 levels, and they are just finally completing what they need.

3. Even major economist and city planners have said that New Orleans was partially at fault for not having the correct flood protection they needed. F5 tornado is impossible to stop, where did I ever say it was.

4. Im well aware that the hangers collapsed.

5. I don't fly at UND, so I don't even care. It would suck if we loss planes, most of my friends fly, I also have a lot of friends that fly at Embry Daytona.

Comment

I think they must have insurance for things like this. It is unfortunate that thier fleet is badly damaged, and now scheduals will be messed up trying to recover. The most important thing is that nobody got killed,(atleast I haven't heard of any fatalities) trying to save an insured airplane. Cessna and the other manufacturers will make a few more aircraft, and in time, things will be back to normal. The only way I can think of getting the aircraft to a safe shelter against a tornado is to dig permanent holes with shallow ramps in tie down and "bunker" them in, ..... Then again...I just pump gas....
        -Jay

Comment

Yes Riddle will still be around. And yes people will still hate it.
          But I would at least hope all you would feel for the students who are currently going there.
          Why does Riddle draw so much hatred I'll never know. If you don't like it there don't go there. If you think its too expensive then don't go there. It's not a state school. Its a private University. So all the facilities and infrastructure depends on that tuition money. And as I have stated before. The ERAU flight program is on its own budget. Tuition money doesn't cover it. The tuition money will cover the damage to the buildings but the airplane costs are covered by the flight program.
          Yes we all know those that goto UND think that UND is the greatest thing since sliced bread and those that goto Riddle think the same of Riddle. But honestly we all are just in it to get an education and get a job to pay the bills and eventually die. So save us the BS bout who deserves what and do your damn homework.
          Try to catch me flyin dirty...

Comment

Originally posted by E-Diddy!
            Strangely enough though my dorm is...
            Yeah, that's to protect you from the food at squires though

Comment

They are not made of sheet metal, most of them are concrete buildings. Secondly, I hate to break it to you, but UND has more planes then Embry, UND has the worlds largest non-military training fleet of aircraft at 120, 90-100 at the GFK campus alone.

bull, those hangars are pretty strong, but they're definitely not made of concrete. I find it funny that Chris is so protective of UND Aerospace and he didn't even finish his PPL there before he raised the white flag.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                bull, those hangars are pretty strong, but they're definitely not made of concrete. I find it funny that Chris is so protective of UND Aerospace and he didn't even finish his PPL there before he raised the white flag.
                Concrete and heavier metal, the one that is connected to the main buldings are indeed concrete coated hangers. I'm not protecting UND Aerospace, but people brought up wrong facts about thus, im just laying the facts out there.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                  Yeah, that's to protect you from the food at squires though
                  two words: atomic diorrhea.

Comment

Originally posted by E-Diddy!
                    two words: atomic diorrhea.
                    oh trust me, I know well

Comment

Embry has before when a hurricane is expected to come.
                      but people brought up wrong facts about thus, im just laying the facts out there.
                      For someone who wishes to lay out the facts, here's one for you: Embry-Riddle isn't commonly referred to as "Embry" but rather as "Riddle," "ERAU," or "Embry-Riddle." That's just to help keep the facts straight here...

-Rich

Comment

All of the UND planes go in hangers, every single one of them. During the winter, not a single aircraft is left outside when operations are done. Thats what I was meaning infastructure.
                        While planes in hangar are less likely to be damaged than those outside, how is a hanger guareented to hold up to a tornado or severe storm? In this case, they didn't. As is evidence by damaged planes in the maintaince building or wherever they were.

Yes, I am sure Riddle will get back on its feet again, and I am sure they will have the funds needed. But it never hurts to know that they have some compassion from others, especially those at rival schools. When it comes down to it, we're all people. And we need to remember that, some more than others.
                        sigpic
                        http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Working...
                        X