In-flight magaznines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In-flight magaznines

Do you think with the advent of in-flight entertainment, In-flight magazines will go the way of the dodo bird?

Also, how much does it cost an airline to produce an in-flight magazine?

Do any of you frequent fliers read them? Does anyone read them?

Could eliminating them be a way for airlines to reduce cost?

What are your thoughts, let discuss?
    My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

No because it doesn't cost the airline a penny to make them, in fact they make money off the magazines from the advertisements within. I read them everytime that I get on the plane.

Comment

I regularly read them to see if there's anything new about the airline, and if possible, do a last minute inflight duty free buys onboard.
      Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

I remember watching that "A Day inside of American Airlines" tv program awhile back, and they removed a lot of the magazines to reduce weight.. I do not think that is necessarily the end of them. I too always grab them and take a look.. Especially the skymall I have never made a purchase but sometimes some of the stores have some pretty nifty stuff

Comment

I get LOT's "Kaleidoscope" every month and always read it as they have some quite interestng stuff there. Also being at CYYZ very often lately I usually just grab any in-flight magazines I see and read them. I hope the airlines keep producing them.

Comment

I collect inflight magazines so it's one of the things that I look for first when I board an airliner.

Regards.
            TAP - Transportes Aéreos Portugueses

Voe mais alto. Fly higher.

www.flytap.com

Comment

I ALWAYS read SkyMall whenever i board a flight. i am always fascinated by all the nifty stuff they have in there. so i think they will be around for a while longer.

-Chris

Comment

Actually Cam one of the most popular sections of the EnRoute magazine (AC's) is the section on the airline, route maps, destinations, duty free, etc. I just wish they would put some nice aircraft decals in there though.

All I could find out about EnRoute is that it pays for itself. It is a heavy magazine as it has to be produced in English and French (one magazine-two languages). EnRoute wins awards at magazine competitions. A box of EnRoute makes great ballast on the Embraer fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisburns
                  No because it doesn't cost the airline a penny to make them, in fact they make money off the magazines from the advertisements within. I read them everytime that I get on the plane.
                  That's right. With the exception of a few feature articles and the airline information section, the whole magazine is made up of advertisement. It works just like the free daily papers we get in the cities.

Comment

Originally posted by ptbodale
                    It is a heavy magazine as it has to be produced in English and French (one magazine-two languages).
                    Every in-flight magazine that I have is in two languages. (Aeroflot: Russian/English ; Lufthansa: German/English ; LOT: Polish/English ; Air France: French/English and so on).

Comment

Originally posted by pkonowrocki
                      Every in-flight magazine that I have is in two languages. (Aeroflot: Russian/English ; Lufthansa: German/English ; LOT: Polish/English ; Air France: French/English and so on).
                      I had seen some that were separate...one edition English, the other edition in the airline's home language. Enroute won a couple of different awards for having English and French...all ads and stories.

Comment

Originally posted by ptbodale
                        I had seen some that were separate...one edition English, the other edition in the airline's home language. Enroute won a couple of different awards for having English and French...all ads and stories.
                        Isn't WestJet's separate ?
                        Oh and the ones I have have ads in English only. Just the articles are bilingual.

Comment

Originally posted by TAP-A343
                          I collect inflight magazines so it's one of the things that I look for first when I board an airliner.

Regards.
                          me too

I find the inflight magazines to be an intresting read.

Originally posted by Cam
                          Could eliminating them be a way for airlines to reduce cost?
                          Hopefully for JAT its not. This is their only inflight entertainment onboard - thats if you dont include gossip between F/A's as entertainment

JAT - More than flying

Comment

Working...
                          X