Dedicated airport viewing facilities in the UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dedicated airport viewing facilities in the UK

After wandering around Heathrow for ages yesterday, and wanting to go to another airport in the near future, thought a list and some info on dedicated facilities for viewing aircraft at airports in the UK may be useful, both to me and others. I'll start off with three I know of

Birmingham airport - dedicated indoor viewing gallery on top floor of terminal (up a lot of stairs, but also a lift). Only £1 to get in and open from 9am-9pm I believe, with a large shop and great view of the entire runway. Photos are easy to get as well, despite the glass. Also touch screens with info and video of airliners, and display boards on the history of civil air travel (as well as seating, arcade games etc)

Manchester airport - haven't been here, but there's the large viewing area off the airfield site with a Trident, Avro RJ (forerunner of the 146 I believe), Concorde and first half of a Tristar. Also a shop, food, and three viewing mounds next to the taxiway

Nottingham East Midlands airport - at the Aeropark which has aircraft such as a Vulcan, Argosy, Whirlwind, Hunter, Lightning etc, there's a mound where you can view activities at the airport (albeit from a fair distance as I recall)

I think in Faro Airport there is, or was, a balcony on the terminal roof, but it's only open in the summer...

Comment

Working...
    X