Cathay Pacific in CYYZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cathay Pacific in CYYZ

So I was driving on airport road yesterday around 3:30pm and I saw a Cathay Pacific being towed to (or maybe pushed back from) an Air Canada hangar. I think it was a A340-300 but couldn't see exactly. So I was wondering was it a diversion or maybe an emergency landing or what else ? Cose Cathay doesn't fly to CYYZ on regular any more. Thanks for any info on this.

http://airliners.net/discussions/gen....main/3636517/

Something to do with the landing gear.

Comment

Originally posted by pkonowrocki
      Cose Cathay doesn't fly to CYYZ on regular any more. Thanks for any info on this.
      What do you mean by "CX doesn't fly to CYYZ on regular any more"??

Cathay Pacific continues to operate its DAILY HKG-ANC-YYZ service using A340-300. Flights arrive at around 9pm everyday at YYZ and departs at around 11pm for HKG via ANC. The flight has been in operation for more than 10 years as a daily service with a brief reduction on the schedule during the 2 months when HongKong and Toronto were affected by SARS in 2003 only. The flight numbers are CX828 (eastbound) and CX829 (westbound). CX uses T3 at YYZ.

CX is going to change it to a daily non-stop service soon as the A340-600s currently being used on HKG-JFK service are relieved by the 777-300ERs.
      Next:
      None Planned

Comment

Well, I assume Pat probably hasn't seen the flight as its at night.
        sigpic
        http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by CathayPacific

CX is going to change it to a daily non-stop service soon as the A340-600s currently being used on HKG-JFK service are relieved by the 777-300ERs.
          I dont know how much reliability of that thread from the other side, but seems like CX are trying to sell the ILFC-leased A346's, but apparently will hold 'em till they get their 77W's.Doesnt look too logical as they could use them to replace the the "old" 744's unless they are ONLY leased to 2008.

@Cathay,
          Does CX intend to replace those 747's with 77W's. !?!
          Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
            I dont know how much reliability of that thread from the other side, but seems like CX are trying to sell the ILFC-leased A346's, but apparently will hold 'em till they get their 77W's.Doesnt look too logical as they could use them to replace the the "old" 744's unless they are ONLY leased to 2008.

@Cathay,
            I think that was a side note that the A346s were up for sale, but that was not why that particular aircraft was in YYZ. It was in YYZ due to a landing gear issue.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower

@Cathay,
              That thread doesn't make sense to me at all. CX leased those A346 from ILFC. So if anyone is selling those planes, it's ILFC selling them, not CX. Cathay has the lease until 2008, so whoever buying them from ILFC now will have to honour that lease.

CX is definitely not using the 3 A346s to replace 744s. The 77A (that's the code CX uses for 773ER) will first be deployed on HKG-JFK. Once both daily HKG-JFK are using the 77As, the 346s will be used to fly HKG-YYZ non-stop. Then with more 77As coming in in 2008, HKG-YYZ will be replaced with the 77As and the 346s returned to ILFC. The rest of the 77As will be used to replace A340-300s.

Eventually the 747-400s will need to be replaced. My personal guess (pure guess) is a mixture of 747-8, 773ER and possibly A380.
              Next:
              None Planned

Comment

Alright thanks for an answer.
                I knew that Cathay used to fly to Toronto at night, but the last photo of Cathay in CYYZ in the db is dated in Dec 2003. So I thought that Cathay has stopped it's service. Now my working hours are never that late so I never got to see Cathay in Toronto (neither I saw the Etihad). This is a great reason for me to go to CYYZ at night then haha just to see the Cathay arriving.
                As for the emergency thanks for explaining. I didn't see that thread on a.net. Looks like the guy must have been driving just after me the same day hah.

Comment

It flew to YYZ with its gear locked down due to mechanical problems. It was at Air Canada because AC's mechanics were doing the repairs. It arrived Saturday night.

Comment

Thanks Dale. So I guess I saw it being pushed back then.
                    So flying with the gear down...doesn't it like cause damage to it ?

Comment

No there is no problem flying along with the gear down. They just had to fly low and slow.

Comment

Originally posted by ptbodale
                        It flew to YYZ with its gear locked down due to mechanical problems. It was at Air Canada because AC's mechanics were doing the repairs. It arrived Saturday night.
                        That's right.. IIRC They are the only airline in North America who CAN do the repairs as they are the only ones who has the Airbus A340's...

*Who'r you gonna call ? - Air Canada !!

Comment

Thanks John! now i've got that stupid song stuck in my head! i'm surprised that AC is the only airline in North America with the A340. i guess i never really thought about it until now.

-Chris

Comment

Sorry for this slight diversion.

Originally posted by z740
                            i'm surprised that AC is the only airline in North America with the A340. i guess i never really thought about it until now.

-Chris
                            Homeland Loyalty !... Nah Just kidding.

Here's a list of all the A340 operators worldwide, Look at third airline on this list below.

Comment

Originally posted by pkonowrocki
                              (neither I saw the Etihad)
                              Eh? Isn't the Etihad flight a morning departure? I saw the plane parked at the gate besides the HKG-bound AC 77L at 9am a few weeks ago.

The YYZ route is probably one of the most profitable for CX. It's almost full all the time. With 350,000 Chinese (mostly from Hong Kong) living in Greater Toronto Area, it is never difficult to fill a plane with 250 people to fly to HKG from YYZ.
                              Next:
                              None Planned

Comment

Working...
                              X