Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The start of the rot....

Well, this is the pic that started the sorry saga of 9Q-CLK
    A first for FALA - the first 707 to land here. Serial 17702 started off life in 1959 as VH-EBG with Qantas. She was acquired in 1968 by British Eagle and became G-AWDG. Freddy Laker then got his paws on her in 1969. In 1987 she was re registered as N600JJ with Charlotte Aircraft Corporation before being handed over to Trafalgar Leasing in 1979. She was then acquired by Sheikh A. Baroom in 1981 before being handed over to Skyways in 1987. Skyways re registered her in the same year as N707KS and again in 1992 as N707SK. The Democratic Republic of Congo under Laurent Kabila (who usurped Mobutu Sese Seko) purchased her as 9Q-CLK in 1999 as was used as the Presidential Jet. Kabila was assassinated in 2001 and his son, Joseph assumed the presidency. 17702 is undergoing "major" refurbishment at FALA and the guys on the team doing this are scratching their heads to obtain parts. One thought, given the DRC's political history - I wonder who is springing for the cost of this "little project" ? Update September 2007: This B-707 9Q-CLK was attached about 10 days ago by (Name deleted) who has a judgment against the DRC Government for +/- $20 million. You may recall that (Name deleted) also attached and sold the DRC's Falcon 50 9Q-CPK that was standing at Lanseria in 2004. The 707 has had an interior makeover, apparently under the project management of Bionic Aviation, one wonders if they will be paid for the work since it is understood that (Name deleted) has watertight evidence that this aircraft belongs to the DRC Government, and not to Kabila personally, as the DRC claims. It is also understand that the aircraft will be sold by the Sheriff sometime around the third week of October 2007.. 9Q-CLK. Boeing 707-138B. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Shortly after this pic was published, I received a call from Frans Roodtman, grilling me on what I knew about this Boeing. You can read what happened thereafter. Anyway, the point of this post is related to the article below:

Flat screen TV's, gold plated taps etc etc. Journos just seem to assume "facts" - yes, the work team from Bionic and others were setting up to install such toys, but they were far from achieving this, and then the plane was attached.....

These were taken when I shot as per my upload (above)

Update: latest on this jet and yes, the Gold taps etc are installed;

Last edited by RobinB; 2007-10-05, 13:08.
    RobB

Great job Rob. Very interesting history on the acft.

Comment

Fascinating! Thanks for posting!

-Chris

Comment

Working...
      X