Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

China Airlines 738 found to have 77cm of crack and destroy runway light in Saga Japan

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China Airlines 738 found to have 77cm of crack and destroy runway light in Saga Japan

Taiwan's China Airlines just again showed that their safety has not improved a bit at all. Not too long after the dramatic 737-800 fire in Okinawa in August, on Sep 20, another 737-800 of CI was found by the Japanese to have a 77cm (about 25 inches) long visible crack on its fuselage after it carried over 140 passengers on a charter flight from Taipei to Saga in Japan. The Japanese forbid the plane from taking off and the plane stay in Saga since then. Yesterday, it was determined that the crack and the corrosion found on the fuselage was probably due to leaking washroom pipes (!). After some emergency maintenance was done in Saga, the plane was scheduled to fly back to Taipei unpressurised to perform the permanent maintenance, then at take off, it overran the runway and destroyed some runway lights at the end of the runway, 30 minutes into the ferry flight, it was found that the instrument was reporting erroneous air speed. So at the end it again returned to Saga. Now it is again sitting at Saga Airport.
    Next:
    None Planned

Looks like they need a maintenance contractor!
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Looks like their insurance company has their heart in their mouth right now

Comment

yikes

Comment

Perhaps Beoing is correct about the Chiniese market. At the rate they are going they are going to write off all of there A/C before replacements can be produced.

That take off video holy crap what were the pilots thinking "I think we can, I think We can,.............."
          Robin Guess Aviation Historian, Photographer, Web Designer.

http://www.Jet-Fighters.Net
          http://www.Jet-Liners.Net

Comment

Boy, an amazing video. Now you know why we have spotters everywhere.

Comment

Just seen the video. That was tight. Luckily there was no passengers onboard to experience this, and that it was only a ferry flight back to Taipei. So what's gonna happen now, will they ground their 737's ?
              Last edited by MaxPower; 2007-10-06, 12:22.
              Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

I know I'm never gonna fly a Chinese airline as long as I'm still sane! Sure hope no more people get hurt.

-Chris

Comment

Holy crap!!!!!!!!! 25 inches. You get your car fixed for less than that. For some reason, the video will not load for me. Any other site where I can see the video? I would really like to see the video. I will never fly on a chinese airline.

I wish I worked for Delta
                  AVL to ATL and CVG on Delta

My virtual airline is located here.

Comment

Video won't load for me either

Comment

Originally posted by z740
                      I know I'm never gonna fly a Chinese airline as long as I'm still sane! Sure hope no more people get hurt.

-Chris
                      You do know that China Airlines is not actually from China, right?

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                        There is a political joke in Taiwan lately: the independence minded Taiwanese govt is renaming every govt owned company with the name China to Taiwan, but they won't touch China Airlines, because it would give a bad name to Taiwan if they rename it.

Back to the incident, it's even more dramatic that it's caught (again) by NHK. The runway length of Saga Airport is 2000m (6500ft) so it's a lot more than enough for an empty 737 to take off. The co-pilot who was doing the take off must be day-dreaming.

CI's crew seems to have a habit of pretending nothing has happened when they overran runways. They continue to take off and they continue to fly to their intended destinations. If anyone remember that incident when a CI A340 took off from a taxiway at Anchorage, overran it into the snow, continued to accelerate on the snow and then took off and fly to Taipei. Unbelievable.

CI doesn't only need new maintenance. They need new everything.
                        Next:
                        None Planned

Comment

Originally posted by arifpal
                          Looks like their insurance company has their heart in their mouth right now
                          Meh, with CI's record, their insurance company probably charges a very high premium for them .

Though obviously, CI just won't learn. You know, Korean also had a very bad reputation in the 90's, with lots of deadly crashes, but due to help from AF, DL and Boeing, they managed to turn themselves around and become a safe, reliable carrier. With CI, they aren't making the step that KE took, asking for outside help, and so their disastrous performance continues, allthewhile Eva Air is on the fast track to overtake them as Taiwan's #1 carrier. And to think carriers like DL still actually codeshare on CI...

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                            Well then I will never fly an Asian airline as long as I'm still sane. Excapt for maybe Singapore.

-Chris

Comment

Then you'll be missing out on some of the best airlines in the world. The United States airlines could learn a few things from many of them.
                              Tanner Johnson - Owner
                              twenty53 Photography

Comment

Working...
                              X