REX plan for hiring new pilots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REX plan for hiring new pilots

This is quite a good plan for Regional Express of Australia. Too many companies leave training to someone else and then complain they don't have sufficient staff.

This is a summary from "The Australian"

REGIONAL Express has become the latest airline to offer incentives to attract prospective young pilots, as competition for technical crew ramps up. Rex this week announced a cadet scheme that would provide low-interest loans to pay at least half of the estimated cost of training for a commercial pilot's licence. The scheme, believed to be the first of its type specifically tailored to regional airlines, will also offer scholarships to high achievers that could pay the other 50 per cent.

Rex alone is bringing in 20 new Saab A340 aircraft and expects its total fleet, including charter operator Pel-Air and regional offshoot Air Link, to increase to almost 90 aircraft over the next two years. The airline wanted to put a commercial pilot's licence within reach of those who would otherwise be unable to afford it.

Under the Rex scheme, the loan is repayable for up to seven years on a schedule that links repayment to salary and reduces the burden in the first years of flying. Those who accept the loan will be given a below-market interest rate as long as they stay with the airline for five years. Cadets who receive a scholarship will have to commit to staying with the carrier for six years. Those who leave the airline before their commitment expires will have to pay back the scholarship or the balance of their loan at market rates. It expects the average worth of a scholarship to be about $30,000, with some getting the full $40,000.

Do we have a couple of JP.netters in Australia who would be interested?

Heck I'd fly down there from the U.S. to get a job. Even though I'm not old enough who cares.

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by z740
      Heck I'd fly down there from the U.S. to get a job. Even though I'm not old enough who cares.

-Chris
      It's more than a one year programme Chris. Start looking now.

Comment

SWEET! To Aussie it is!

-Chris

Comment

Or not....you'll need our equivalent of a green card.

It is a fantastic time to be a pilot. For all the years of working for managers who truely believe "if I shake a tree pilots will fall out" there are now companies such as Rex who are cancelling flights due to crew shortages.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ
            What's a green card? Does it have to do with residence?

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by ptbodale
              This is quite a good plan for Regional Express of Australia. Too many companies leave training to someone else and then complain they don't have sufficient staff.

This is a summary from "The Australian"

REGIONAL Express has become the latest airline to offer incentives to attract prospective young pilots, as competition for technical crew ramps up. Rex this week announced a cadet scheme that would provide low-interest loans to pay at least half of the estimated cost of training for a commercial pilot's licence. The scheme, believed to be the first of its type specifically tailored to regional airlines, will also offer scholarships to high achievers that could pay the other 50 per cent.

Rex alone is bringing in 20 new Saab A340 aircraft and expects its total fleet, including charter operator Pel-Air and regional offshoot Air Link, to increase to almost 90 aircraft over the next two years. The airline wanted to put a commercial pilot's licence within reach of those who would otherwise be unable to afford it.
              Saab's licensing from Airbus now?

In all seriousness, looks like a great program that I'd definately check out if I lived in Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ

It is a fantastic time to be a pilot. For all the years of working for managers who truely believe "if I shake a tree pilots will fall out" there are now companies such as Rex who are cancelling flights due to crew shortages.
                Same thing is happening here in the US. There are a actually a few regionals who's hiring criteria are commercial license with multi and instrument ratings. I personally know a few people who have ended up at a few regionals with about 250 hours. Scary.

Comment

Working...
                X