NW Announces MSP-CDG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NW Announces MSP-CDG

Northwest on Monday announced that it will offer new daily nonstop service from Minneapolis/St. Paul to Paris, France starting April 8, 2008. The new flight will be offered in cooperation with its joint venture partner, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines.
    “On behalf of our employees at Northwest and our joint venture partner, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, we are excited to announce new, daily nonstop service that will connect Minneapolis/St. Paul to Paris,” said Doug Steenland. "Customers traveling from the heartland on this new route will also experience the unparalleled service and comfort of an Airbus A330-300.”

The A330-300 offers 34 seats in World Business Class and 264 economy class seats.

Steenland added, “This new international route, and the new aircraft that we will be flying on it, are possible due to our successful restructuring and the ongoing commitment of our employees to make Northwest the premier choice for international travel. This demonstrates, once again, that the new Northwest is well positioned for growth and success now and into the future.”

The A330 purchases are part of a $6 billion fleet modernization program. The A330 is 35 percent more fuel efficient than the DC-10s they have replaced.

Northwest now operates the largest A330 fleet in the world and also the newest transatlantic fleet of any North American or European carrier.

Northwest’s new Minneapolis/St. Paul to Paris route is part of its joint venture with KLM, which is operated under a grant of antitrust immunity from the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT).

The DOT is also moving toward final consideration of an application for transatlantic antitrust immunity filed by Northwest, KLM, Air France, Delta, Alitalia and CSA Czech Airlines. Last week the DOT issued a procedural order saying the application is “substantially complete” and established a timeline for final consideration.

Steenland said, “We are launching the new transatlantic service to Paris with the expectation that our pending application for antitrust immunity will be granted. In order for Northwest to continue to open up transatlantic gateways to the rest of the globe, it is essential that the Department of Transportation move expeditiously and approve our request for anti-trust immunity. With that grant, we look forward to expanding our joint venture to include Air France and Delta over the transatlantic.”

Northwest’s Executive Vice President of Strategy and International, Neal Cohen, said the expanded authority would also benefit customers. “The transatlantic antitrust immunity would allow us to coordinate schedules and other services with our alliance partners in a way that will provide essential travel options and convenience to our customers.”
    There you have it, in addition the NW code will be added to 39 air france destinations from CDG.

People in MSP were expecting Air France, but then again the news said a new route would be announced, not a new carrier. So I assumed MSP-CDG with an A330, and I was right.

Glad to see another international route out of MSP, now that the 10s are gone, not as many heavies there as there used to be. So another 330 will be a welcome sight for spotters.
    sigpic
    http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

34J 264Y. Boy do you guys like to pack them in!

Air Canada's A330's are 42J 230Y (I know there is a trade off for 8 more J, but 34Y more?)

You Americans aren't smaller than us Canadians.

Comment

Originally posted by ptbodale

Air Canada's A330's are 42J 230Y (I know there is a trade off for 8 more J, but 34Y more?)

Are you giving a number for AC's A332 or A333? I think around 300 in 2 class is pretty normal for an A333. Qatar seats 305 with their!

Comment

Air Canada's are all 300 series.

OOOps I miscounted Y seats. There are 232Y and 42J.

Comment

Originally posted by ptbodale

Not too much different.

AC: C 60" (42 seats) Y= 32-34"
            NW: C 60" (34 seats) Y=31-33" I flew in the 31" it wasn't too bad, better then the European 29" standard.

Comment

Working...
            X