CO to start installing PTVs in 737NG and 753 fleets with DirecTV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO to start installing PTVs in 737NG and 753 fleets with DirecTV

Y-class pax have to pay to watch it though: $6. Hmm, seems like a strange move when all other carriers offer it for free in Y-class.

Source: http://www.atwonline.com/news/other....=1%2F30%2F2008

Originally posted by Foxtrot
    Y-class pax have to pay to watch it though: $6. Hmm, seems like a strange move when all other carriers offer it for free in Y-class.

I thought the only airlines to offer DirectTV was F9 and B6, and F9 charges 5 bucks to do so?

Of course if your reffering to simply JUST PTV then yes, is odd CO would charge it.However DirectTV I believe is better and has more variety then PTV, but I don't know for a fact simply from what I have heard.

Alex
    Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

B6's DirecTV is awesome! It makes the flight go by so much faster. They also have XM radio. I think charging for movies is reasonable, but I'm not so sure about TV.

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by ATrude777
        I thought the only airlines to offer DirectTV was F9 and B6, and F9 charges 5 bucks to do so?
        That would be correct. Plus F9 charges movies seperately, $8 per flight IIRC.

Of course, Delta also offers PTVs on a growing number of 738s, 757s and 763s, which is free. Only movies and games cost you $5.

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by ATrude777

Of course if your reffering to simply JUST PTV then yes, is odd CO would charge it.However DirectTV I believe is better and has more variety then PTV, but I don't know for a fact simply from what I have heard.

Alex
          Ahh so F9 does charge. I think initially it didn't charge pax.

Comment

Hopefully Continental will still serve meals and do things like have PTV's even if they were to be bought out by United.

beginning in January 2009
            Thats a ways a way, well, I guess its only a year away... thats weird
            Will C.

Comment

Great, now another airline can have IFE problems. These systems all work great on the ground and in the lab, but put them in an aircraft and the suckers are a big pain.

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by ptbodale
                Great, now another airline can have IFE problems. These systems all work great on the ground and in the lab, but put them in an aircraft and the suckers are a big pain.
                That explains why of all the flights I've had wth PTVs nearly all had some issue with the PTV system.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot

F9 charges for anything over basic channels IIRC

Comment

When I flew NRT-IAH the only "programming" IFE error was that the hangman game had some glitches - I.E. one time the word to guess was "PPPPP" - After a few more times I got real words

Comment

Interestingly enough I was speaking with a friend of mine that works for JetBlue out of Orlando, and he was saying that IFE is a pain in the a**! He explained that the time that it takes to repair the systems - the amount of headaches that it causes for all involved (flight crews that get bit*hed at if it is not working, the CSA that get yelled at, and have to wonder which seats have working IFE, and then the MX crews that have to fix them!). It sucks all around, but then again - it works in briniging passnegers onto aircraft in that given the choice between no IFE and IFE - which would you choose?
                      Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Working...
                      X