Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAN seeks to establish cargo airline in Colombia

Tuesday May 13, 2008

LAN Cargo said yesterday that it has presented a formal proposal to Colombian aviation authorities to launch a new cargo airline in that country.

The airline said that if it gains approval, the new carrier will begin operations within 12 months. "Colombia is currently the largest air cargo market in Latin America in terms of exports to the United States, with an estimated volume of 200,000 tons annually," LAN said in a statement. "The establishment of a subsidiary in Colombia will allow LAN Cargo to integrate the country [into] its broad network of routes within the region, also providing connectivity to the United States and Europe."

LAN currently operates nine 767-300 freighters and also transports cargo in the bellies of its 72 passenger aircraft. Its full-year 2007 cargo revenue jumped 32.4% to $338.1 million, comprising more than a third of total revenue. It currently owns and operates cargo affiliates in Brazil and Mexico. Its cargo network serves 75 destinations worldwide.

by Aaron Karp

Could you figure out LAN would stay forever without a subsisdiary in HK-, uh ? Off course, no
    Thanks for visiting
    *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
    *JetPhotos*
    Airliners*Pbase.com

Umm - why would the Colombian government allow it, when they can simply try the same technique with Avianca? I mean, it seems counter-intuitive to allow it to happen (in the long-run, and as a matter of national pride - barring the effect of LAN's economies of scale and expertise). I do, however, wish them the best with the endeavour. I hope that they get the approval and are very successfull.
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Working...
    X