No announcement yet.

Future of the Airbus A340

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the A340 is one of the best lookingaircraft, but of course this doesnt make it a successful one.
    With the first fcommercial flight being in 1993 (I think) and a total of roughly 350 deliveries how successful is this aircraft percieved?

Comment

Originally posted by rohank4284 View Post
      The Boeing 747-8, is very likely the last 4 engine passenger jet that we will see from Boeing, if the project even sees the light of day.
      The first test B748F is already being built and the first flight is scheduled for the third quarter of this year, not far away from now, I assume.

Boeing has further delayed the first delivery of the B748i for the fourth quarter of 2011 but if LH wants it I think Boeing will really build it.
      TAP - Transportes Aéreos Portugueses

Voe mais alto. Fly higher.

www.flytap.com

Comment

It must be lovely to be ONLY able to afford an A340 for your personal transport !!

Mind you....I don't like football that much !
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Let's not kid ourselves here, folks. The A340 is a dead player. In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti, amen.

Comment

Hear the weather in New Delhi is scorching hot, how's the weather in Mumbai, Vishal?
            We had a very pleasant 26 degree Celsius day here in Denver.
            Damn you Rohan , its a furnace out here in the afternoons man
            Originally posted by TAP-A343 View Post
            Boeing has further delayed the first delivery of the B748i for the fourth quarter of 2011 but if LH wants it I think Boeing will really build it.
            Have LH comitted themselves to the 748i or has the thought of a triple passed their mind?
            Boeing would've given them insane discounts to sign-on for the 748 in the first place, wonder if they'd go ahed with the order.
            Might still make sense as they have a vast 744 crew & they'd be able to swith over with minimal training due to commonality, which i guess is one of the 748i's major USP to 744 operators besides its other bells & whistles.
            Originally posted by Verbal View Post
            Let's not kid ourselves here, folks. The A340 is a dead player.
            merci
            That was very enlightening

Comment

[quote][quote]
              Originally posted by Vishal Jolapara View Post
              Damn you Rohan , its a furnace out here in the afternoons man

Have LH comitted themselves to the 748i or has the thought of a triple passed their mind?
              Boeing would've given them insane discounts to sign-on for the 748 in the first place, wonder if they'd go ahead with the order.
              Might still make sense as they have a vast 744 crew & they'd be able to swith over with minimal training due to commonality, which i guess is one of the 748i's major USP to 744 operators besides its other bells & whistles.
              No worries, Vishal. Right now we're having very pleasant weather out here, but from June-August even Denver gets pretty hot (30-40 degrees C). I'm going to Delhi in June and I'm not looking forward to being in extremely hot and humid conditions.

The Boeing 747-8i, hasn't been nearly as successful as Boeing had hoped. Many airlines felt that Boeing should have made a new 4 engine jet, instead of redesigning the Boeing 744. When British Airways rejected 747-8i and took the Airbus A380, it dealt the 747-8i program a major blow.

Lufthansa never really wanted to buy the Boeing 777 and I don't think purchasing them now would make much sense. When LH was buying the Airbus A340-600, they briefly took a look at the Boeing 777-300ER. About three years ago, Boeing tried to convince them to go for Boeing 777-200ER/LRs to replace their aging Airbus A340-300, but nothing came of it.

LH doesn't need Boeing 777-300ERs because they have so many Airbus A340-600s. In addition, Lufthansa currently has many new Airbus A330-300s and many Airbus A340-300s, so the need for a Boeing 777-200ER just isn't there. Lufthansa will likely go with the Airbus A350-1000 to replace the aging Airubs A340-300s, instead, of the 777, due to the Airbus A350's better efficiency and more modern design.

As for the Boeing 747-8i, I think that LH wanted that plane to fill the gap for routes that are too busy for the Airbus A340-600, but don't have enough demand for a daily Airbus A380 service.

I think that when the Boeing 747-8i actually comes out, some airlines may order the aircraft. However, because the 747-8i attracted so little demand, the Boeing 747 legacy as a passenger jet will probably come to an end after this variant. As a cargo aircraft, I think that we may even see updates of the Boeing 747-8. In my opinion, Lufthansa will probably order some Boeing 787-8s and Airbus A350-900/1000s in the coming years.

Regards,

Rohan

Comment

Originally posted by Verbal View Post
                Let's not kid ourselves here, folks. The A340 is a dead player. In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti, amen.
                With all the options to operate long/medium range twins, the 340 has only one destiny. Parked next to the 3 holers in the desert. The 744/A380 have the large 4 engine market sewn up.
                Who's on first?..........

Comment

AirBus has had a long series of misunderstanding the current aircraft markets when marketing/design/capability a new aircraft.

Add the A-340 to the EADS AirBus failed list 300 319 330 350 380 unlike the list of successful designs from BOEING 707 727 737 747 757 767 777

Comment

22 unfilled orders, 2 deliveries this year so far. Yes, it´s like the B767, living under grace.
                    Still wonder if cargo-conversions could be likely?
                    "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

Originally posted by IntheShade View Post
                      AirBus has made a real series of misunderstanding the current aircraft markets when marketing/design/capability of new aircraft.

Add the A-340 to the EADS AirBus failed list 300 319 330 340 350 380 unlike the list of successful designs from BOEING 707 727 737 747 757 767 777
                      319 is as individual plane as the B720 was.
                      Old Boeings
                      B707 (including the B720), 1010 made during 21 years
                      B727, 1832 made during 21 years
                      B757 1050 made during 22 years.
                      Old Airbuses
                      A300, 561 made during 33 years
                      A310, 255 made during 24 years
                      Current Boeings
                      B737, +6000 made
                      B747, 1414 made
                      B767, 972 made
                      B777, 777 made
                      Current Airbuses
                      A320 (including the A319) 3824 made
                      A330 600 made
                      A340 363 made
                      A380 27 made
                      I think B767 is the one to go first among the current lineup of Boeing and
                      A340 of the Airbus lineup.
                      A350 and B787 are just paperplanes so far or mockups.

Comment

Both Boeing and Airbus have built incredibly safe, efficient, and successful aircraft. The Airbus A340 was success, even though it wasn't as successful as the Boeing 777. The Airbus A330 has been more successful than the Boeing 767 in the past few years and the total orders for both aircraft almost identical. (A330: 1,018, Boeing 767: 1,039)

The original Airbus A350 didn't do very well, but the revised A350XWB has done much better against the Boeing 787. The Airbus A380 was an engineering marvel, drastically outsold the Boeing 747-8i and is continuing to sell well. The Airbus A320 has constantly outsold the Boeing 737NG, etc. The Boeing 787 is also having delay issues. I like both manufacturer's aircraft and Boeing a little more than Airbus, but the arguments posted here are getting ridiculous. How did this become and other dreaded A vs. B thread.

Regards,

Rohan

Comment

Originally posted by Alessandro View Post
                          Still wonder if cargo-conversions could be likely?
                          Absolutely, as long as there is a cargo airline out there that absolutely has to have A340s. Who might that be?

Comment

Both Boeing and Airbus have built incredibly safe, efficient, and successful aircraft. The Airbus A340 was success, even though it wasn't as successful as the Boeing 777. The Airbus A330 has been more successful than the Boeing 767 in the past few years and the total orders for both aircraft almost identical. (A330: 1,018, Boeing 767: 1,039)

The original Airbus A350 didn't do very well, but the revised A350XWB has done much better against the Boeing 787. The Airbus A380 was an engineering marvel, drastically outsold the Boeing 747-8i and is continuing to sell well. The Airbus A320 has constantly outsold the Boeing 737NG, etc. The Boeing 787 is also having delay issues. I like both manufacturer's aircraft and Boeing a little more than Airbus, but the arguments posted here are getting ridiculous. How did this become and other dreaded A vs. B thread.

Regards,

Rohan
                            Well, there are few others whom make this sized aircraft, Russian Sukhoi RRJ (which is going way better than the B787 project), ARJ (very little known after mf), old Il-96 is still
                            selling and Tu-204 as well.
                            Bombardier and Embraer is still undecided to go head-to-head with the two giants. So comparisions are valid.

Comment

Originally posted by Spad13 View Post
                              Absolutely, as long as there is a cargo airline out there that absolutely has to have A340s. Who might that be?
                              Some that fly over long stretch of oceans?

Comment

Originally posted by Alessandro View Post
                                old Il-96 is still selling...
                                It is?

Comment

Working...
                                X