Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about United Airlines' new IPTE product

Hello,

United has recently been updating its Boeing 747-400s and Boeing 767-300s with new first class seats and business class seats. I originally thought that UA wasn't upgrading their economy product, until I stumbled upon some of the new UA safety videos on youtube.com. In the Boeing 747-400 the F/A on the video mentions, "In United Economy, be sure your head rests and video screen are stowed." I know UA doesn't have PTVs in economy class on the Boeing 747-400, but is there any plan to install them?

Here's the link to video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6-pv...e=channel_page

Regards,

Rohan

Shoulder straps in 1st class?

Thanks for providing a link to this video.

Actually, what I found most informative/noteworthy is that
    First Class passengers are provided with a shoulder strap.

During the last 20+ years I've been a passenger on lots and
    lots of flights, but always in Economy Class. I knew that
    passengers in First enjoyed a whole bunch of "luxuries" (more
    space, better food, more personalized service, etc.), but I did
    not know that they also enjoyed the improved safety that I
    guess a shoulder strap might provide in certain emergency
    situations.

Interesting video indeed. Thanks again.

-TFS

PS) Sorry, I know I'm not answering your question, but
    still I wanted to comment on the video you linked to.
    For what is't worth: three years ago I flew from LAX to
    SYD on a United 747, and there were definitely _no_ video
    screens to be "stowed". If they're improving this product,
    I sure am looking forward to enjoying it the next time I
    pack myself into the sardine-can end of the plane.

Comment

Originally posted by The Flying Slug View Post
      Thanks for providing a link to this video.

Actually, what I found most informative/noteworthy is that
      First Class passengers are provided with a shoulder strap.

During the last 20+ years I've been a passenger on lots and
      lots of flights, but always in Economy Class. I knew that
      passengers in First enjoyed a whole bunch of "luxuries" (more
      space, better food, more personalized service, etc.), but I did
      not know that they also enjoyed the improved safety that I
      guess a shoulder strap might provide in certain emergency
      situations.

Interesting video indeed. Thanks again.

-TFS

PS) Sorry, I know I'm not answering your question, but
      still I wanted to comment on the video you linked to.
      For what is't worth: three years ago I flew from LAX to
      SYD on a United 747, and there were definitely _no_ video
      screens to be "stowed". If they're improving this product,
      I sure am looking forward to enjoying it the next time I
      pack myself into the sardine-can end of the plane.
      Thank you for replying. First class and business class passengers don't necessarily get better "safety for the money." The FAA requires that all passengers must be able to surrvive a 10G impact. The passengers in economy actually are at a better position because their seats are facing directly forward and are not at an angle. First Class and Business Class seats are often angled and uniquely designed, meaning that airlines have to put other "safety features" in order to make sure these passengers can survive a 10G impact, which is why UA has the "shoulder straps." I know some airlines, I just don't remember which ones, have airbags in first and business class. I believe it was Virgin Atlantic and Cathay Pacific.

Right, I too have flown UA's Boeing 747-400 in Economy and Economy Plus many times, but every time there was no PTVs. It's sad, but even LH's pitiful economy class on its Boeing 747-400s, at least had an overhead TV every few rows, on UA there was just a large overhead TV at the front of the cabin! Hopefully, the IPTE product will include some upgrades to UA's Economy cabin.

Thank you for responding,

Rohan

Comment

Originally posted by rohank4284 View Post
        Hopefully, the IPTE product will include some upgrades to UA's Economy cabin.
        The real question here is where are they getting the capital to embark on such a project. Hopefully they choose to not only update their IFE packages, but at the same time - their seats. Newer, lighter seats (in time) will pay for themselves via fuel savings...
        Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Rohan: thanks for the informative reply about shoulder belts in First Class and
          Business Class seats.

Looking further into your original question, all I could find on United's website
          related to this was...

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1134,00.html

... where, among other things, in the "International amenities" section, it
          states that they offer "Seat back video screens on all international three-
          cabin 767-300 and 777 aircraft".

No mention of the 747, and I would imagine that if they offered screens

that needed to be stowed (even if they were to include seat-back video
          screens in this category) they would advertise it. So, apparently you
          stumbled upon a fun mystery, indeed.

AA 1818: Hopefully any newer seats would be not only lighter, but also
          (somehow?) more comfortable. Having to sit there for 14 hours was quite
          a pain for me towards the end of the flight. I know, I know; airlines are
          struggling to stay afloat, and cutting costs is a top priority, but... one can
          always _hope_ they also look into improving comfort even for those flying
          in Cattle Class, right???

Regards,
          -TFS

Comment

Business Class seats.

Looking further into your original question, all I could find on United's website
            related to this was...

Regards,
            -TFS
            To reply even further - I empathize with both your statment and notion that airlines are struggling to stay afloat - but a bad experience only leds to spurning a customer from trying the product again. Simply put, comfort and travel should not exist independently. On a 14 hour flight (where the ticket price was surely at a premium) there was the need for very comfortable amenities. Now, as for my original statement, and in direct repsone to your response - CX's newest cabins are the envy of the many of its competitors. Not only are the new seats much more efficent (light) they are perhaps even more comfortable that some of their competitor's Business class products. So, it can be done. I once again ask, though, how will they secure the funding...
            Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Business Class seats.

related to this was...

Regards,
              -TFS
              Agreed, this appears really odd that UA would have that line in their safety video and not put PTVs in Y/Y+ class on their Boeing 747-400s. With LH finally putting in PTVs, I don't see why UA can't either. I looked at UA's website, but there's nothing on the Economy class improvements, yet Glenn Tilton said "no class, will be left untouched." So far, what I could find is that UA is getting rid of its plain grey interiors on its international aircraft and replacing them with new dark blue seats and is replacing the panneling on some its aircraft. Hopefully, that's not all UA does. It's sad how at one time UA was far ahead of the curve, as it was one of the only airlines offering PTVs in Economy class, but now the airline has fallen far behind other carriers, as most of them are now offering AVOD entertainment systems in all classes. Maybe, UA can update their Economy class to include AVOD, but given the airline's financial situation I doubt that'll happen anytime soon.

Rohan

Comment

Ipte info

ok all you need to know about united IPTE fleet

1 most of the 767 747 777 fleet will be ipte
                2 panasonic makes the ife system
                3 ferst seats have the sholder strap for the G loading
                4 747's have no personal screens the 767 and 777 do
                5 the 767 is a half breed ife system UF and UB are new and UY is old system
                6 the 747 only has overhead in y class

and who knows how thay are paying for the systems lol

Comment

Originally posted by AERO-MECH-1 View Post
                  ok all you need to know about united IPTE fleet

1 most of the 767 747 777 fleet will be ipte
                  2 panasonic makes the ife system
                  3 ferst seats have the sholder strap for the G loading
                  4 747's have no personal screens the 767 and 777 do
                  5 the 767 is a half breed ife system UF and UB are new and UY is old system
                  6 the 747 only has overhead in y class

and who knows how thay are paying for the systems lol

Thanks for your response. I saw a picture of a UA Boeing 747-400 where they had overhead TVs every few rows and new seats, instead, of just one large projector screen at the front of the cabin. So, it's an improvement over the old product, but I hope that they will one day put PTVs in economy.

I read that United is planning on making a new configuration for its international Boeing 777s and is planning on adding AVOD PTVs to all classes on that aircraft.

Regards,

Rohan

Comment

I've noticed that United has began replacing their routes that use 747's with 777's (except for routes such as LAX-SYD or ORD-HKG), so it's possible they may not be interested in installing PTV's in Economy, if they do not plan on keeping 747's in the future. United hasn't shown any interest in the 747-8, and their future plans in aircraft replacement do not include 747's. As amazing as the 747 is, it's a "gas guzzler", and economically speaking, the 777 makes more sense. United used to be the airline to look up to, but their decision to keep their Y Class on their 747's at bare minimum, in terms of In-Flight Entertainment, may have a financial purpose for the long run.

Comment

Working...
                    X