Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acces To the Flight Deck.

Hi world!

Well.. Lately I have been seeing much more and more flight-deck photo's when I was reading and looking at the flight Reports on this Website forum.
    I really love to see the best office of the world on photo.

But I'd love to visit the Office in real life even more!
    But I just never dare to ask. I'm just a ''kid''. (16 years old..)
    How do you guys get inside the flight-deck? (without knowing the F/O or Captain)
    I find it really hard to ask a FA or another crew member.. I always think it's kinda rude.
    Help me guys! I just would love to make a few photo's. Or just look inside the flight-deck!
    Is there a certain way to ask the question? Or are you just invited into the metal-paradise?

Thank you in advantage!

Regards, JeffreyKLM.
    The Netherlands.

I wouldn't dare ask here in the US. People here are too paranoid.

Comment

underage

i will give you some tips on how to get into the cockpit
      1. always always when boarding the plane ask a flight attendant if you can see the cockpit.
      2. if she says no be thankful and leave, if she says yes make your way inside
      3. once inside, act amazed, pilots do not like it if you already know what they are doing and you could see flaws in their acts
      4. only ask to take pictures if: the crew is extremely friendly or if the crew is extremely unfriendly (if they dont want you there you might as well get kicked out :P)
      5. when flying on airline such as TACA and other non USA airlines, hint for a look inside the cockpit in flight: wow i have never seen a cockpit in flight before, it must be very beautiful...

Comment

Originally posted by saupatel View Post
        I wouldn't dare ask here in the US. People here are too paranoid.
        Visiting the flight deck in the U.S is perfectly fine and often times welcomed by the crew. While you can't visit the flight deck in-flight you most certainly can on most occasions visit while at the gate.

Comment

Originally posted by tommyalf View Post
          Visiting the flight deck in the U.S is perfectly fine and often times welcomed by the crew. While you can't visit the flight deck in-flight you most certainly can on most occasions visit while at the gate.
          One thing to add here...while in the States it is usually not a problem to visit the deck, just do NOT do it AFTER a couple rounds of Gin-and-Tonics!! That'll get you some strange looks from the crew

No seriously, I have really never had a problem going up and getting the shots. Actually, the younger you are, the more likely you will get some really great stuff, especially if you show some interest in aviation.

T

Comment

I try to unboard the aircraft last or towards the end, and as you exit when the captain says bye to everyone ask if i could see the cockpit. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

Comment

Hello!
              Thank you!
              You really gave me the perfect advice, I hope I can use this on my next trip in December.. (AMS-DXB) with a KLM 777-200. For as I know the KLM crew is very friendly.. I've flown with them about 30 times.
              I hope the crew on that flight is as friendly as always!
              So I can take a look in the T7 flightdeck.. My favorite Aircraft!

Regards, Jeffreyklm.

Comment

Originally posted by richardblaser View Post
                3. once inside, act amazed, pilots do not like it if you already know what they are doing and you could see flaws in their acts
                LMAO...I'm sorry, but in reality until you've been through basic indoc and sim training at an airline, you really don't know what they're doing. Trust me

Comment

Originally posted by jeffreyklm View Post
                  How do you guys get inside the flight-deck? (without knowing the F/O or Captain)
                  Follow what some have said on this thread. On the way in ask whatever crewmember who is standing and greeting everyone if they mind if you check out the flight deck either before or after the flight.

Most of us would be more than happy to have you up for a visit. Doing it like this allows them to invite you up when they're not busy.

I hate to say it but there is absolutely no way you will see the flight deck in flight. Those days have passed for obvious reasons. Anyone attempting to visit my flight deck while in flight will be met with a very sharp crash axe and questions will be asked later. I wish it weren't this way because one of my greatest memories as a child was visiting the flight deck of a UAL 747 while flying from NRT-HNL. But unfortunately the safety of the people on the airplane (and those on the ground) outweigh our desire to share the view of the flight deck in flight with a future aviator.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu View Post
                    Follow what some have said on this thread. On the way in ask whatever crewmember who is standing and greeting everyone if they mind if you check out the flight deck either before or after the flight.

Most of us would be more than happy to have you up for a visit. Doing it like this allows them to invite you up when they're not busy.

I hate to say it but there is absolutely no way you will see the flight deck in flight. Those days have passed for obvious reasons. Anyone attempting to visit my flight deck while in flight will be met with a very sharp crash axe and questions will be asked later. I wish it weren't this way because one of my greatest memories as a child was visiting the flight deck of a UAL 747 while flying from NRT-HNL. But unfortunately the safety of the people on the airplane (and those on the ground) outweigh our desire to share the view of the flight deck in flight with a future aviator.

Thank you very much for the advice!
                    It's great to hear from the Pilots point of view what they think about it. I sure hope all pilots are like you!

I never ever had the thought of possibly enter the flight deck in flight.. I know that is really forbidden.

I also have some faint memories from when I was a kid (When I was about 3 years old). I loved aviation since I was born. My first word was vliegtuig! (means Airplane! in Dutch) But I wanted to be a pilot since the moment I saw the 757 Flight deck when I was 3 years old..

Regards, JeffreyKLM

Comment

Can someone confirm 100% that visiting flight deck inflight is not allowed on any airline and when this rule was implemented?

Comment

Originally posted by turbotraker View Post
                        Can someone confirm 100% that visiting flight deck inflight is not allowed on any airline and when this rule was implemented?
                        I don’t know for sure but I think it became more or less an ironclad rule since 9/11;. It might have something to do with the events that transpired that day. You think?

Things were a lot different back in the 60s and 70s. Back then my father and I were invited into the cockpit in flight on several occasions on commercial airliners.

Contrary to what one of the other posters advice was for the current paranoid litigative politically correct climate; back in the older days it seemed all you had to do is mention that you were a pilot or in the aviation industry and there was a good chance you would be invited up to the cockpit; often even when the aircraft was flying.

I by no means object to the inflight ban of passengers access to the cockpit; in light of current events and the moral decay. Regrettably there are some freedoms that have to be lost. This is one of the few loss of freedoms that I agree with; regrettably.

Comment

confirm

Yes i went up two weeks ago.
                          I have no affiliation to an airline, airport, airplane, or ground control.
                          Im just a 15 year old who knows how to play the pilots right.
                          But if you do the right things you can get up there, especially on airline like TACA.

LMAO...I'm sorry, but in reality until you've been through basic indoc and sim training at an airline, you really don't know what they're doing. Trust me

i already did so believe me, it helps

Comment

Also rules will be varied from country to country. It was arranged for me to be in the jumpseat on a trans tasman flight via a mates dad however the pilot got sick and it never happened. Other flights ive been taking photos and have been invited into the cockpit for the rest of the flight. Both times were post 9/11.

Being young helps.
                            Sam Rudge
                            A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Originally posted by ATFS_Crash View Post
                              I don’t know for sure but I think it became more or less an ironclad rule since 9/11;. It might have something to do with the events that transpired that day. You think?

Things were a lot different back in the 60s and 70s. Back then my father and I were invited into the cockpit in flight on several occasions on commercial airliners.

Contrary to what one of the other posters advice was for the current paranoid litigative politically correct climate; back in the older days it seemed all you had to do is mention that you were a pilot or in the aviation industry and there was a good chance you would be invited up to the cockpit; often even when the aircraft was flying.

I by no means object to the inflight ban of passengers access to the cockpit; in light of current events and the moral decay. Regrettably there are some freedoms that have to be lost. This is one of the few loss of freedoms that I agree with; regrettably.
                              I trained as a Flight Attendant for a US carrier in 1999. At that time we were allowed on the flight deck during non-critical phases of flight, but we were issued flight deck door keys and had to keep the door locked at all times. (Of course the pilots also had keys in case nature called.)

After 9/11 our keys were taken from us, and the flight deck doors were reinforced from the inside.

I left the airline in November 2001. At that time we were only allowed on the flight deck at the behest of the flight crew, and only when one of them needed to use the facilities. Basically one of us had to replace the pilot who was answering nature's call, obviously not playing with the controls, but to be there to let them back in.

Since then I believe different airlines have different policies regarding Flight Attendants on the flight deck, but Emu is correct - there is no way for a passenger to get on the flight deck in flight, certainly on US carriers.

Interestingly non-US carriers seemed slower to adopt this policy. I remember British Airways had a very nasty incident on a flight to NBO when a passenger stormed the flight deck and the aircraft went into a steep dive, only recovering minutes from disaster. The Roxy Music singer, Bryan Ferry, was a passenger on this flight. I cannot speak as to whether their policy on unlocked flight deck doors changed after this however.
                              Yet another AD.com convert!

Comment

Working...
                              X