Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korean Air, British Airways, QANTAS Gates at LAX

Hello People.

There has been changes out at LAX and I have been questioning about it.

I have noticeing Korean switched gates at the Bradley Terminal from Gates 104-105 over to 101-102. I thought Koerans office is inbetween Gates 104 and 105? (That is what I was told through a friend and my friend had made a post about it on airliners OR on here about this and he did it like 3-4yrs ago or so. Since then, there has been whole lot of change out there at LAX). Is the Bradley gates first serve first come?

British Airways now, What is happening to them now? They use to arrive, park and depart on the northside, and now all 3 flights are arriving, parking and departing on the southside. What is this change about?

QANTAS now, before they introduce the A380 service into LAX, all 4-5 QANTAS flights arrived, parked and depart on the southside of the Bradley Terminal and also over at T4. Now that they introduce the A380 serives into LAX, all 4-5 flights are now arriving, parking and departing on the northside. The ONLY gate Qantas is and has been using for their A380 is the brand new Gate 123A and not GATE 101. I thought Gate 101 was an A380 gate as well? If so, then I think it is more since that whenever they have Gate 101 for the A380, then they should have the plane arrive on the southside for a shorter taxi time.

Any anwers??? Thank you.

Good question. Personally I don't believe any airline is specifically assigned a gate at the TBIT (but I could be wrong) because I see them bounce around gates all the time. Just the other day Japan Airlines was on the southside at Gate 102, and the following day it was on the northside next to 123A. I've seen Lufthansa go back and forth between sides as well. The only consistency I've seen with Qantas is that the daily flight from Brisbane, Australia (QF15) always arrives at American Airlines' Terminal 4 Gate 41 or 43, which is right next to TBIT on the southside. As for Qantas' A380's, you're right - lately they've been sending them to 123A on the northside, but on occasion I have seen them at 101 on the southside as well. To be completely honest, LAX has been going through massive gate changes recently, especially due to the merger of Delta and Northwest, over 10 airlines have switched terminals and gates from north and southsides. It's crazy. More or less, the decision to assign aircraft gates at the TBIT is probably no more different than the domestic gates. Sometimes a United aircraft may arrive and park at Terminal 7 Gate 74, then the same flight on the following day may go to Gate 77.

Anyways, that was strictly theory based upon visual documentation over a period of time. If anyone here works behind the scenes of foreign carriers that operate out of LAX, or work within the LAWA (Los Angeles World Airports) system, your input would be great!

Comment

If there are no airlines that are assigned to a specific gate at TBIT, then why do both Korean planes park at the same GATES in the morning and park next to EACHOTHER all the time "EVERYDAY"???? To me, that is call "assigned to a specific gate". So yeah, in my theory, airlines do have a specific gate at TBIT.

Anymore Answers or Questions People???????

Comment

Braniff now uses 104-105

Comment

Originally posted by UAL744LAX View Post
          If there are no airlines that are assigned to a specific gate at TBIT, then why do both Korean planes park at the same GATES in the morning and park next to EACHOTHER all the time "EVERYDAY"???? To me, that is call "assigned to a specific gate". So yeah, in my theory, airlines do have a specific gate at TBIT.

Anymore Answers or Questions People???????
          LAWA Airport Operations Division controls gate assignments. There are no "assigned" gates.

Airlines MAY request certain gates, but there is NO guarantee they will get them.

LAX Terminal - Cargo Ops Management Policy
          -Not an Airbus or Boeing guy here.
          -20 year veteran on the USN Lockheed P-3 Orion.

Comment

Answer this then... Why do airlines always WANT to use the same gates over and over and over everyday then? I still think if it is an international terminal, then everybody SHOULD uses different gates day by day. That is my personal opinion for an operation of an "international terminal".

Anymore answers, Ideas, Guesses or Comments regarding about this?

Jeffrey

Comment

Answer this then... Why do airlines always WANT to use the same gates over and over and over everyday then?
              Ahhh. Maybe its a pain in the ass to move support equipment around from gate to gate to gate to gate all the time?

I still think if it is an international terminal, then everybody SHOULD uses different gates day by day. That is my personal opinion for an operation of an "international terminal".
              Then how about applying for a job with LAWA and get on the board, committee, or whatever writes the LAX Terminal - Cargo Ops Management Policy.
              -Not an Airbus or Boeing guy here.
              -20 year veteran on the USN Lockheed P-3 Orion.

Comment

I still think if it is an international terminal, then everybody SHOULD uses different gates day by day. That is my personal opinion for an operation of an "international terminal".
                why?

Comment

Since a lot of flights operate daily at the same time the gate planners will get into a routine and try to park an aircraft/airline at the same gate each day. Airlines do have their preference and those requests are accommodated when possible.

It's no different here in YYZ at T1, Air Canada's terminal. We handle several different carriers and there is a master plan and the flights are gated according to the plan. Of course a mechanical or a weather event will disrupt the plan. As well some aircraft only fit on certain gates.

And as P3 said, it's a pain in the ass to keep moving your equipment all over the place.

Comment

Working...
                  X