AirTran to Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AirTran to Canada

Well, what do you guys thing? Do any of you think Air Tran will fly to Canda within the next 4 years? Maybe to Montreal? Toronto? Ottawa? Vancouver? Most probably from Atlanta but it would be interesting to see service from Baltimore as well.

What do you think?

Definently! YYZ; YUL; etc... I'd love to see all of them from ATL. The 717 is the perfect plane for ATL-Canada routes, but if it doesn't work, there's always the CRJ. I think Air Tran will have to go international to compete, and when they do, they will realize the success they are having with it! I would also love to see this service from BWI or PHL too. It will be interesting to see how BWI grows because it's perfectly located to be an Intl. and domestic hub.

Comment

I think YYZ and YUL *might* get airTran service in the next few years....who knows
      Check out my photos at jp.net! http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=613

Comment

Has anyone heard anything from the airline itself about service to Canada? It really has to expand into Canada and tap into the western market to compete.

Any rumours about YUL or YYZ?

Comment

AirTran to Canada

I, as a convinced Delta flyer, fear that FL will be flying to Canada in the years to come, but I see the 737-700/800 being used on route from ATL or from MCO, who knows. If they also start Canada flight from their focus cities (BWI, PHL, PIT, BOS) I believe those will be routes for the 717 and/or the CRJ.

Comment

The answer is yes. The airline (back when it was still Valujet) has offered service to Montreal from IAD for a brief time prior to the shutdown after VJ592. I think that by next Spring, YYZ will be on the route map, if not earlier. With Air Canada downgrading ATL to Jazz service only (5 dailies), there is a market available. Add to this the fact that the only mainline a/c service on the route are two Delta RTs using a 732 and an MD-80 (the other 5 Delta ATL-YYZ flights are Delta Connection). AirTran will definitely be flying into both Air Canada and WestJet territory in the next few years.

Comment

Air Canada has already cancelled all YUL-ATL flights. Maybe AirTran will come to montreal as well becuase of the lack of presence AC has on that route?

Comment

Interesting question. I think AirTran still has a lot of expansion to do within the lower 48 states before it can start anything significant internationally. There are lots of western markets that don't see AirTran service yet, so I'd look for that to be their next major focus area with the new 737s.

Southwest on the other hand is running out of US markets to expand into... What's left besides DEN and ATL? This may be a real problem for them as historically they've relied on expansion and growth for consistent profitability. Maybe WN will head into Canada out of the necessity of finding new markets?

Comment

Southwest will never go international because of the delays often associated with customs. Southwest's famous quickturns would be sacrificed by the customs demands. Southwest dropping quick turnarounds would be like McDonald's dropping the Big Mac, it ain't going to happen. Southwest will have to reduce their minimum 10 flights a day rule in order to expand. The chances of Southwest starting service to ATL are about as good as me winning the lottery. Herb Kelleher has essentially said "It will be a cold day in Hell before we ever serve Atlanta." Although I have seen a few Southwest charters @ ATL in 2000 when Atlanta hosted the Super Bowl (Only if I had a camera that day).

As for ATL-YUL, Air Canada cut the route mainly because of competition (Delta added Delta Connection service to YUL as a result of AC's entering of the market), in addition to the service cuts as a result of the bankruptcy filing.

My projected entry dates into Canadian markets by AirTran:

YYZ March 2004
                  YUL May 2004
                  YVR April 2005
                  YOW August 2005

Comment

Why not,
                    Please read my post about the possibilies to see Air Tran accross the pond by 2010. Going to Canada can be a nice opportunity to rehearse
                    and tune up the organization attached to international services.
                    As for the means, I agree with some of you, the 717 is perfect, it is capacious but it's not too big. Initially I see Toronto and Montreal from ATL but also from BWI and PIT. From BWI/PIT and even ATL I would also see some services to second tier but important cities such as London/Ontario, which may be an alternative to YYZ.
                    I personnally do not "feel" YOW/Ottawa, since it's still a fairly small market.
                    Regards
                    Alain
                    Thanks for visiting
                    *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                    *JetPhotos*
                    Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Working...
                    X