Boeing 787 First Flight Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mondojets

Is there a class name for the A380 and B787? Are they "super-jumbo"?

Anyway, I read an article on the weight problems of the 787 (analysts have given a "sell" rating to Boeing based on these problems). And it made me wonder why there's a backlog of 840 planes for the 787. Given the economics of flying today, why would a company want these planes to replace older planes that are too old to keep flying? Have Boeing and Airbus provided alternatives? Planes they can buy that are current technology but carry loads like the 747 and A330?

Comment

Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post

Anyway, I read an article on the weight problems of the 787 (analysts have given a "sell" rating to Boeing based on these problems). And it made me wonder why there's a backlog of 840 planes for the 787. Given the economics of flying today, why would a company want these planes to replace older planes that are too old to keep flying? Have Boeing and Airbus provided alternatives? Planes they can buy that are current technology but carry loads like the 747 and A330?
      Do you read what you type after you've typed it?

Why would the 787 be called a super jumbo? Lots of people have started calling the A380 one but you'd need some serious mind alter substances to think the 787 is a super jumbo.

There is a backlog of ~840 787s becuase ~840 787s have been ordered and none have been delivered.

As to your next question, Why would an airline want older gas guzzlers when newer more fuel efficient aircraft are available. I mean, fuel is one of the largest costs faced by the industry. Call me stupid, but i think spending less on fuel means you have more money.

Im sure Boeing and Airbus have pitched the 767 and A330 etc, but with an aircraft thats going to be flying for 30 odd years its a better decision to wait a few more years and get the best suited aircraft a couple years later rather than get something that is only cheaper to run for a couple years and then is costing more?

Look at it this way,

You have an old aircraft X, its big, not fuel efficient (comparatively)
      You could buy aircraft Y, its also big but more fuel efficient than X and cheaper to run
      Or
      You could wait a couple years and get aircraft Z, its big, much more cheaper to run than aircraft Y and is more fuel efficient as well.

Its all about economics, not just short term though. In the case above, if we were only looking at the next 18 months getting aircraft Y is a good idea, if looking at the next 240 months then Z makes more sense. the airlines will look at all costs of their expected lifetime to work it out and go from there.
      Sam Rudge
      A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Originally posted by Jet-fighters.Net View Post
        ZA002 made it first flight this morning

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/BOE2
        Hmm, I thought the 3 first ones where undeliverable? Why in that case paint it in the launch customers livery?
        Good anyway to see more B787 in the air.
        "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post

Have you forgotten summer of 2008 and the fuelprice that hiked at 143US$/Barrel, even for
          operators outside US which operates in strong currency zones, fuelcost is very important.

Comment

Originally posted by Simpleboy View Post
            Do you read what you type after you've typed it?

Why would the 787 be called a super jumbo? Lots of people have started calling the A380 one but you'd need some serious mind alter substances to think the 787 is a super jumbo.

There is a backlog of ~840 787s becuase ~840 787s have been ordered and none have been delivered.

As to your next question, Why would an airline want older gas guzzlers when newer more fuel efficient aircraft are available. I mean, fuel is one of the largest costs faced by the industry. Call me stupid, but i think spending less on fuel means you have more money.

Im sure Boeing and Airbus have pitched the 767 and A330 etc, but with an aircraft thats going to be flying for 30 odd years its a better decision to wait a few more years and get the best suited aircraft a couple years later rather than get something that is only cheaper to run for a couple years and then is costing more?

Look at it this way,

You have an old aircraft X, its big, not fuel efficient (comparatively)
            You could buy aircraft Y, its also big but more fuel efficient than X and cheaper to run
            Or
            You could wait a couple years and get aircraft Z, its big, much more cheaper to run than aircraft Y and is more fuel efficient as well.

Its all about economics, not just short term though. In the case above, if we were only looking at the next 18 months getting aircraft Y is a good idea, if looking at the next 240 months then Z makes more sense. the airlines will look at all costs of their expected lifetime to work it out and go from there.
            Old gazgusslers with proven technology, trained staff at low cost and which are payed already fill a need further down the food chain. But on top of the food chain new airplane which are better or promise to be better will always sell.

Comment

A truly beautiful aircraft. I wouldn't get on the thing, but beautiful to look at and watch fly

Comment

Here´s a timelog of the flights so far, 18 flights total 66 hrs.

Comment

Boeing has completed stall tests of the 787

This is a critical test area for the aircraft.
                  Although I'm sure there will be more stall tests to come as flight testing results are evalusted.

Comment

Originally posted by TX911 View Post
                    I wouldn't get on the thing,
                    Why ?

Comment

Originally posted by W7PSK View Post
                      Why ?
                      because i'm scared to fly. and the bigger the aircraft the less i understand how the damn thing stays in the air and all the pics ive seen of the 787 make it look like a monster of an aircraft so i imagine id be terrified to fly on it Nothing against Boeing or anything. Its a personal fear not a knock on the aircraft. Again, it looks like a wonderous aircraft and a miracle of physics

Comment

Originally posted by TX911 View Post
                        because i'm scared to fly. and the bigger the aircraft the less i understand how the damn thing stays in the air and all the pics ive seen of the 787 make it look like a monster of an aircraft so i imagine id be terrified to fly on it Nothing against Boeing or anything. Its a personal fear not a knock on the aircraft. Again, it looks like a wonderous aircraft and a miracle of physics
                        Monster? Nah, many aircrafts are bigger, A380 is one.
                        BTW 27 flights now and almost 97 hrs total.

Comment

ZA001 become the first to break 100-cycles barrier today, little by little the aircraft are logging the hours.

Comment

Lotta closed 787 threads. Well, anyway:

Boeing grounds 787 test fleet

Boeing has grounded its 787 fleet temporarily because of a quality problem in the horizontal tails of the 787 Dreamliners built by Italian manufacturing partner Alenia.
                            By Dominic Gates
                            Seattle Times aerospace reporter

Related

Boeing has grounded its 787 fleet temporarily because of a quality problem in the horizontal tails of the 787 Dreamliners built by Italian manufacturing partner Alenia.

Comment

Working...
                            X