No announcement yet.

Introducing the 'sky-couch' from Air New Zealand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you ever been in a situation where there are spare seats on the aircraft, i.e. three abreast unoccupied ? And have you ever taken the opportunity to lie across those three seats ? And have you ever noticed how uncomfortable it is to lie across three seat bases that are curved to accept the average human bum ?

I have....and if I have to pay the equivalent of 2.5 times the economy fare then I'll go to a travel agency that can get me a reasonably priced business class lie flat bed with all the attendant business class benefits such as lounges, better service and food/drink etc.

It would also be interesting to know what ANZ's average loading figures are ? If they're selling on average 2 out of 3 seats in the cabin where this facility is being offered then this is a cynical way of getting another 50% of the remaining seat sold. If you look at the picture it's a bit tight on space, the girl is having to lie on her side...and what happens when the passenger in front reclines their seat ?

I'm fully aware that this deal is for two people...but look at them, they're skinny as a rake. Put two, more average sized people in those seats and it's not going to work.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
      Have you ever been in a situation where there are spare seats on the aircraft, i.e. three abreast unoccupied ? And have you ever taken the opportunity to lie across those three seats ? And have you ever noticed how uncomfortable it is to lie across three seat bases that are curved to accept the average human bum ?

I have....and if I have to pay the equivalent of 2.5 times the economy fare then I'll go to a travel agency that can get me a reasonably priced business class lie flat bed with all the attendant business class benefits such as lounges, better service and food/drink etc.

It would also be interesting to know what ANZ's average loading figures are ? If they're selling on average 2 out of 3 seats in the cabin where this facility is being offered then this is a cynical way of getting another 50% of the remaining seat sold. If you look at the picture it's a bit tight on space, the girl is having to lie on her side...and what happens when the passenger in front reclines their seat ?

Incidentally I have a neighbor who flies LAS to LHR on Virgin - he buys three seats so he can sleep. (I keep meaning to ask him if he is allowed three meals and three carry-ons).
      I'm fully aware that this deal is for two people...but look at them, they're skinny as a rake. Put two, more average sized people in those seats and it's not going to work.
      I fly ANZ whenever I can from LAX to LHR or to Auckland and flights always seem to be full. Never-the-less my wife and I would love these new seats (at least for eastbound flights to London).

Neither of us have any trouble sleeping across three regular economy class seats if we get the opportunity.

Of course we are both "skinny" - sometime the check-in staff look at us and waive us on with excess weight carry-ons.

Comment

"Skinny" has little to do with transverse lines of pressure against ribs or hips. It can be done, but nobody with a straight face can say it is comfortable. And if you don't put the seatbelt on the outside of blankets, be prepared to be waked up by FA periodically.

Comment

To depart from topic but not from ANZ seats:
          My last ANZ flight from LHR to LAX (which was full) was really uncomfortable - the seat cushions were dead flat - I ended up sitting on a couple of folded blankets and my pillow. I wrote to NZ about it and they responded that they change seat cushions every five years.
          I've expeienced dead flat cushions on US demestic flights - I'm thinking about buying an ensolite custion for use on future flights.

Comment

Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
            To depart from topic but not from ANZ seats:
            My last ANZ flight from LHR to LAX (which was full) was really uncomfortable - the seat cushions were dead flat - I ended up sitting on a couple of folded blankets and my pillow. I wrote to NZ about it and they responded that they change seat cushions every five years.
            I've expeienced dead flat cushions on US demestic flights - I'm thinking about buying an ensolite custion for use on future flights.
            Just as a matter of questions; when was the flight/experience? The reason I ask, ANZ is introducting (or, recently has introduced) new seats on some of the aircraft (with the arrival of the 773, or perhaps other types - I am not sure) and I know that they are in the process of upgrading. Were the seats new (as in the newer style of seats that are thin and lightweight)? Or, were they the older, bulky ones?
            Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Working...
            X