Concorde to fly again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concorde to fly again?

Just saw this article from the BBC. Seems like they want to get concorde flying again, but I don't know what will happen.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Rich

Originally posted by rich7271 View Post
    Just saw this article from the BBC. Seems like they want to get concorde flying again, but I don't know what will happen.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Rich
    I am sure many many people want to see the Concorde fly again - me too! But I don't believe it until I really see it... But it would be truly amazing!

Comment

It would be cool to see it at the 2012 Olympics for sure.

Comment

Wow this is amazing news. Thanks for posting the article.

However, I've always maintained that those numb-nuts should have selected a pair of Concordes to remain airworthy right from the start of the retirement of the fleet.

Now, they have to contend with an airframe which has been inactive for 6 or 7 years. It would have been easier to keep an aircraft on active flight status with no lengthy layoffs. They will have more to contend with then just the engines once they get into this thing after such a lengthy period of inactivity.

I wish them luck.

Rick G.

Comment

There's no chance this will happen. The airframes are almost certainly beyond restoration. Moreover, the issues to do with pilot currency, training, maintenance, regulatory requirements and, above all, insurance would defeat any attempts to get back into the air. Those who are familiar with the ongoing financial problems relating to the Vulcan restoration could have no confidence regarding Concorde.

Comment

Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
            There's no chance this will happen. The airframes are almost certainly beyond restoration. Moreover, the issues to do with pilot currency, training, maintenance, regulatory requirements and, above all, insurance would defeat any attempts to get back into the air. Those who are familiar with the ongoing financial problems relating to the Vulcan restoration could have no confidence regarding Concorde.
            The TU-144 was brought back from dead and used for reaearch flights (a joint Russia-USA project or joint Soviet-USA project).

Comment

It is possible because the Vulcan was brought back to the air after a greater length of ground time. The problem comes when it comes to financing such a project and in this economic climate. Whilst i would love to see it at this time i cannot begin to believe that this most fantastic of jets will ever return to the skies. I seriously hope to be proved wrong though.

Comment

I gotta agree, would be really nice to see it flown again, especially at the 2012 Olympics, but not until those back wheels lift off, I doubt this will happen.
                what ever happens......happens

Comment

Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
                  The TU-144 was brought back from dead and used for reaearch flights (a joint Russia-USA project or joint Soviet-USA project).
                  Yes, but the difference is that this project cost literally hundreds of millions of dollars, with money coming from such bottomless pits as governments, NASA, Boeing, Tupolev and other corporate manufacturers, and in an environment where (among other things) commercial insurance would not have been a factor. There's no way this sort of money could be found from private/charitable sources, while commercial insurance would be most unlikely to be granted. I'm not, of course, saying it is not technically possible to re-fly a Concorde if you throw enough money at it, but we need to confirm that the airframes are actually restorable (which I doubt), while remembering that the manufacturer withdrew product support, which was the main reason Concordes stopped flying in the first place in 2003.

Comment

I'm not, of course, saying it is not technically possible to re-fly a Concorde if you throw enough money at it, but we need to confirm that the airframes are actually restorable (which I doubt), while remembering that the manufacturer withdrew product support, which was the main reason Concordes stopped flying in the first place in 2003.
                    To add (I hope...), doesn't EADS also hold the type certificate? In withdrwaing support, do they not also basically ground the aircraft by withdrawing the certificate?

To get over that hurdle, they would require another manufacturer to take up the certificate (from EADS, which is likely to be quite costly) and proove to authorities that they can support the type? I doubt that even with enough money, that can be done before summer of 2012. More importantly, all this - wasted money, time and energy for what is likely to be minute of national pride.

As much as I loved the Concorde, it had its time. Imagine if these groups spent half as much time pushing new technologies to get another SST up and running - surely, by now we would have had other SSTs well in developement.
                    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

I'm not, of course, saying it is not technically possible to re-fly a Concorde if you throw enough money at it, but we need to confirm that the airframes are actually restorable (which I doubt), while remembering that the manufacturer withdrew product support, which was the main reason Concordes stopped flying in the first place in 2003.
                      Being as these are fairly low-time airframes, I fail to see why they would be particularly "un-restorable", however I agree with you on the issue of lack of manufacturer support, although I imagine BAe/EADS can be persuaded to lend at least some assistance with technical matters.

In any case, a pretty tall order, to be sure.

Comment

It is certainly possible!!Go to Dover AFB and see all the aircraft on display there. Theres a B-17 that was restored and is in flying condition!!You can see that plane of Great Planes:B-17 on the Military Channel
                        August 29th will be the worst day of the year.

Comment

I am highly Sceptical we will see Concorde fly for a number of reasons.

1) Size
                          Yes we have a B17 (Sally B) flying here in the UK but that is a much smaller size aircraft. I know the USA has quite a few airworthy examples as well. Hovever look at the size of Concorde. A larger aircraft means more components which all require periodic checks and on condition maintenance.

2) Insurance
                          Here in the UK our B17 is in the same price category as a Boeing 737

3) Cost
                          Maintenance, Insurance, Pilots and Admin will cost a considerable amount of money.

4) Who will finance it

Here in the UK we have recently had another large aircraft restored to an airworthy condition. It was the Vulcan XX558. A charity named Vulcan to the Sky funds this and this organisation had difficulty gaining the money to keep it running for the 2010 air show circuit. The UK government are not interested in funding this aircraft even though its part of our national heritage. I don't know how the French Gov't would act. What with the global financial crisis now is not the time for projects of this size.

5) Which company will support the aircraft

EADS has now withdrawn support and will any other company consider it bearing in mind that only 2 (max) examples will be restored to airworthy condition

A lot to think about.

Comment

Yes, but the difference is that this project cost literally hundreds of millions of dollars, with money coming from such bottomless pits as governments, NASA, Boeing, Tupolev and other corporate manufacturers, and in an environment where (among other things) commercial insurance would not have been a factor. There's no way this sort of money could be found from private/charitable sources, while commercial insurance would be most unlikely to be granted. I'm not, of course, saying it is not technically possible to re-fly a Concorde if you throw enough money at it, but we need to confirm that the airframes are actually restorable (which I doubt), while remembering that the manufacturer withdrew product support, which was the main reason Concordes stopped flying in the first place in 2003.
                            I agree. One of the reasons for the TU-144 reflight program was reportedly (AW&ST) to prevent Soviet weapons designers going to work for regimes not friendly with the USA.

Comment

I CHOOSE to believe she will fly again.

I CHOOSE to believe a new generation will look up into the sky and, for no matter how short a time, see everything that is good and right about Mankind's ability to conquer all frontiers.

I CHOOSE to support this pipe dream, because dreaming is the first step to doing.

I CHOOSE to believe in Concorde.

Foundation Course in Aviation Engineering on-going; Stage One of the journey to professional engineer!

Comment

Working...
                              X